The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Matt37268 said:

I don’t disagree with that, I do find it a tad amusing though that ‘the new badge’ shown in the photo isn’t the one that was approved.  

AIUI, it was only after the launch ceremony that the College of Heralds pointed out the inconsistency.

They weren't involved in the early emblem, so there hadn't been an issue with handed versions of that.

I've no idea why the were invoked for the 1956 version. Delusions of grandeur at the BRB?

John

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Like has been said, BR could have had any 'logo' they wanted and done anything with it, inc. a similar totem with some sort of Lion on it.

But, for whatever reason, the new emblem was technically a heraldic Coat-of-Arms and so had to approved by The Lord Lyon.

The main problem being that BR then wanted to have the Lion facing forward on each side of DMU driving motor vehicles, meaning right-facing Lions were required.

Heraldic approval was only for left-facing Lions, this was pretty much a legally enforcable situation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

It seems odd as a flag with the heraldic device on it would automatically have two sides to the image.  Mind you, Bullied had to have two designs for the Merchant Navy nameplates so that the flag was flying with the flagstaff towards the front of the loco. 

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, keefer said:

Like has been said, BR could have had any 'logo' they wanted and done anything with it, inc. a similar totem with some sort of Lion on it.

But, for whatever reason, the new emblem was technically a heraldic Coat-of-Arms and so had to approved by The Lord Lyon.

The main problem being that BR then wanted to have the Lion facing forward on each side of DMU driving motor vehicles, meaning right-facing Lions were required.

Heraldic approval was only for left-facing Lions, this was pretty much a legally enforcable situation.

Steam loco tenders and tank sides, too.

The Southern Region in particular seemed to have quite a stock of the RH transfers to use up....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The Southern Region in particular seemed to have quite a stock of the RH transfers to use up....

Right enough, i had my diesel blinkers on😁

Actually the SR could've used/needed them on EMUs. IIRC the criteria for a totem was not a driving car but a powered/motor vehicle - but most EMUs at the time would have at least one DMBS, 4/5/6 car units would have two. (A single, central MBS didn't come in until the BIG/CIGs)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

The crew of 6990 Witherslack Hall* share the responsibility of topping up the water at Keighley on 21st March 2024, during the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway's steam gala.

6990Keighley21032024-RMweb.jpg.14e959d065ca94c9277f482d62ed371f.jpg

* A visiting loco courtesy of David Clarke Railway Trust & The Great Central Railway.

Edited by 4630
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 30/01/2024 at 13:19, Dunsignalling said:

I'm  informed the SR attitude at the time ran something like "Bo££ocks, they look daft facing backwards".

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

L&Y Railway 52044 immortalised in a pencil sketch at Haworth engine shed on 21st March 2024.

PencilSketch210320241-RMweb.jpg.82afa606bd933bc71f5cba9e59bab925.jpg

PencilSketchHaworthShed210320242-RMweb.jpg.f17e3541e148382bbf3d6412e24b5799.jpg

Photos taken with permission.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

A hive of activity at Haworth engine shed on the morning of 21st March 2024 as the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway steam gala gets underway.

HiveofactivityatHaworthShed21032024BW-RMweb.jpg.04f5eeae2bacc8f51d5f819266232426.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Watching the road ahead.

78022Keighley21032024-RMweb.jpg.fd3fb611804ea4f68e20376c0211814c.jpg

BR Standard 2 78022 shunts ahead at Keighley to wait for its next working on 21st March 2024 during the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway's steam gala.

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Rugd1022 said:

RIP Jed - photos c/o Dave Cresswell...

JED2.jpg.2c505797732c92bae2b2f4fd235dbb1a.jpg

JED1DAVECRESSWELL.jpg.015b61728103ba4f68f8a2194d9fd17d.jpg

I did mention his spirit was with us yesterday on the Wizzo tour out of Paddington and back through Jed territory (albeit via Coventry not Solihull!) 

Regards

Guy

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photographer unknown : Paignton, 1959...

GWPAIGNTON1959.jpg.d7363a64e15479e94d133f5867d05101.jpg

I hope he got more than just a 'bob'  if he was doing the whole engine.

• Like 5