The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Is that a relative of Charles Hawtrey standing by the cab door?

That crossed my mind too. Perhaps it’s a promotional photo for Carry On up the South Devon Banks.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 02/11/2019 at 13:34, Oldddudders said:

Would you buy a used 1000 from these people? 

In the same way you probably wouldn't buy a used "25" from these two!

531830194_D5153HesledonBank10-08-1967(2).jpg.f0e82b061c2022d73a77e5c48eeb85ae.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, iands said:

In the same way you probably wouldn't buy a used "25" from these two!

531830194_D5153HesledonBank10-08-1967(2).jpg.f0e82b061c2022d73a77e5c48eeb85ae.jpg

Any more information on what has gone on here or who the two blokes are?

The loco has thornaby plates on so I assume the location is in the north east 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, russ p said:

It is certainly an unusual outcome - but the guys are smiling so that is reassuring and no-one is hurt. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, russ p said:

Hi Russ,

D5153 Hesleden Bank (former Sunderland & Hartlepool Railway) 10-8-67. No details on the crew.

Another photo ....

1848757261_D5153HesledonBank10-08-1967(1).jpg.3b21bee042f082ead05a567f8ce29422.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Apparently it was 1967 top of Hessledon bank near hartlepool derailed on catch points so whether it slipped to a stand and went backwards or making a wrong direction move isn't clear.

I've sent a friend a link who was a secondman at hartlepool at the time to see if he knows anymore or who the crew is

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

It is certainly an unusual outcome - but the guys are smiling so that is reassuring and no-one is hurt. 

Hi Ian (First class name by the way),

No details about the crew. Not sure if the two in the photo were the actual crew when D5153 derailed (ran through the traps), or if these two were from another train/breakdown crew, but the one without the cap seems (to me anyway) to have a bit of a sheepish/guilty smile about him!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, iands said:

Hi Russ,

D5153 Hesleden Bank (former Sunderland & Hartlepool Railway) 10-8-67. No details on the crew.

Another photo ....

1848757261_D5153HesledonBank10-08-1967(1).jpg.3b21bee042f082ead05a567f8ce29422.jpg

That looks like he's  been running round and set off against the signal 

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, russ p said:

That looks like he's  been running round and set off against the signal 

As there doesn't appear to be any wagons derailed, or followed the engine, it does suggest that the engine and train were uncoupled, so a "failed" run round attempt seems very plausible. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, iands said:

Hi Russ,

Another photo ....

I'm trying to work out what the vehicle is that the picture was taken from 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, russ p said:

I'm trying to work out what the vehicle is that the picture was taken from 

Looks to me like the tender of a WD?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Apparently it was a runaway, 'diverted' by the catch points. One of several on the 1 in 34 bank.

I found a caption saying it was the top of the bank. The wagons behind it seem fine no broken coupling or anything. 

My mate remembered it saying it was covered with a tarpaulin for quite a while afterwards. 

He remembers the lads but can't think of their names but going to ask another hartlepool driver 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Newton Le Willows. 22-8-19. The guard of the Llandudno bound unit checks his watch as 'Braunton' approaches with a single coach heading to an event on the East Lancs' Railway, Bury. 

2019-08-22_15_20.05nlw.jpg

the guard in the picture, Gary, built like a brick toilet, was having a laugh/taking the mick out of one of Chester depots old boy drivers back in the early 2000s and they started play fighting, the driver, Alan, who was more slight than Gary but taller, I.e. more meat on a chip, picked him up off the ground in one scoop and deposited him upside down in the nearest bin 

what Gary wasn’t banking on was Alan used to be a fireman on the western out of Stafford road and used to fire gwr ‘kings’ on the Paddington to Birkenhead between london and wolves day in day out so despite his size he was still incredibly strong and agile even almost 50 years later! 

some of the stories he had would make a superb book, being so drunk he couldn’t fire the loco so the driver dumped him in the tender and drove and fired himself to london! 

he was a proper rum when I had him as an instructor, we stopped at shotton one morning and a college student spat on the drivers side window as we pulled in, quick as a flash he got up and went to the door and confronted the lad who said “what are you going to do about it old man?” To which he picked the lad up by his jacket lapel and waist band, lifting him a good couple of feet off the ground and proceeded to clean the spit off the window with the back of his jacket (while the lad was still wearing it of course!) 

ah happy days! 

• Like 12
  • Funny 3

That Gary did seem a bit of a rum one Jim, most words he spoke that day are un-printable and his accent did'nt help, but the gist of what he said was that they were two minutes early and he was waiting until the exact time to leave, and like me he had no interest in the approaching steamer at all. :D

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...