The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold

The time honoured tradition of waving at a passing train. 50028 approaches Dawlish with a short train on June 8th 1985. Judging by the sea conditions, there was a very good chance of getting wet feet for anybody walking along the low section of sea wall towards Langstone Rock.

1471926963_50028Dawlish080685.jpg.203b4b1bc844cbb5809820122dc43c72.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 21/05/2020 at 08:03, Owd Bob said:

Nice pair of Bristolians. 

She was quite a 'tasty' young lady (excuse my description but that was what we said of her back in those days) however she was quite a way from being the tastiest best looking female member of staff who was used in publicity shots around that time. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

She was quite a 'tasty' young lady (excuse my description but that was what we said of her back in those days) however she was quite a way from being the tastiest best looking female member of staff who was used in publicity shots around that time. 

Have you got any pics' of the others Mike? ;):D

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Owd Bob said:

Have you got any pics' of the others Mike? ;):D

Somewhere or other - so don't get excited - I do have a transparency of one of them at Reading depot open day c.1968/69.    I was in regular touch with one of them, via Mrs Stationmaster who knew her through the local junior school, back in the 1990s and that particular girl had still her looks 25 years and several children on from her dolly bird days.  Oddly - or rather not at all oddly - she was the one many of the fellahs of her vintage tended to remember the most and a former colleague of mine was most impressed that I was, slightly indirectly, in touch with her.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 30/05/2020 at 09:54, Rugd1022 said:

Rugeley No.1 'box, September 1974, photo by Mike Shaw....

Rugeley No.1 SB Sman Boxman & Sid Hine September 1974 by Mike Shaw.jpg

What’s Ian Lavender (aka Cpl. Pike) doing in a signalbox?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Is that from a BFI film?

I was wondering if it was that BTF film that follows a freight from Bristol to the Midlands 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Yes, I meant BTF.   It looks familiar but I can't place it.

Is it fully fitted?  Sometimes on talking pictures 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A fully fitted train does not show sidelamps on the van; this is a part fitted or unfitted train.  The guard's head is in the way of the sidelamp, which shows a white light forward so that the loco crew can check on curves by looking back that the train is complete and the van is following in proper order; coupling breakages were not uncommon in the days before instanters, usually a combination of rough driving and careless use of the handbrake by the guard.  Working these trains was a skill and a black art requiring deep understanding between driver and guard, and intricate route knowledge especially in fog when you couldn't see where you were at night; the guard still has to know exactly where to apply or release the brake, and where to expect to slow down to stop at signals.  He uses sound from bridges or cuttings to locate himself.

Our guard is giving the 'tip', to confirm he is safely aboard the van and ready for the train to pick up speed, with the correct white light, not green, from his handlamp.  The driver, or fireman if the line of sight is on the other side of the train, returns the signal with his lamp, or uses the loco's whistle to acknowledge it, not a popular move at 3am in a residential area...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

At Edge Hill, many of the sidings were on a curve, and as many trains were vans the brake van was out of the line of sight due to vans on the adjacent road. Drivers would therefore allow the guard time to walk back to his van and then start off on the assumption that he was safely inside it. Many considered five to ten seconds adequate to cover the distance.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5