The human side of the railway...

9 hours ago, iands said:

Non standard footware - wouldn't get away with that on today's railway! 

Small beer I remember a PW maintenance supervisor with dodgy feet, working on track in carpet slippers - would not get away with that these days either.

I seem to remember that it was a Saturday night north of Northchurch tunnel, with thunder and lightning rattling round the hills, the signalman picking that time to mention that the tunnel was supposed to be haunted. For some reason the track gang had not turned up, and the two of us young and old had to finish digging out the start hole for a ballast cleaner on our own. Happy days/nights.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The set of pictures at the top of this page are brilliant reminders of the time, Nidge; a driver’s cap worn at a jaunty angle, flat caps, fixing your car on company time (maybe), uniform that fits where it touches and sideburns. Absolute belters, every one of them. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

fixing your car on company time (maybe)

That rang a bell. Mad panic early one morning about 50 years ago when no-one had seen the guard for the 3.20 Vic - Brighton paper train, the most closely monitored train of the day! I think he was found at the last minute, out in Hudson's Place, fixing his motorbike..... Brendan was an engaging Irishman and decent chap (hopefully still is!) and got a job in Control not many years later, I believe rising to be DCC (Shift Supervisor), in which post he would have been required to report misdemeanours like his own on that occasion.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I’m sure no one will mind me putting this in here as the other thread is locked 

the 2 railwaymen who tragically died yesterday in Stonehaven have been named 

may all your signals be green gentlemen

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeenshire/2405491/train-driver-and-conductor-killed-in-stonehaven-derailment-named-as-investigation-into-tragedy-begins/amp/

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

The set of pictures at the top of this page are brilliant reminders of the time, Nidge; a driver’s cap worn at a jaunty angle, flat caps, fixing your car on company time (maybe), uniform that fits where it touches and sideburns. Absolute belters, every one of them. 

I do have a flat cap which is worn on cold nights when waiting for a taxi in the middle of nowhere after a ballast job, my uniform still fits reasonably well and I have sideburns, but so far haven't needed to fix my car on company time...!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

They were. I can remember going to the ROH  in around 2013 or 2014, the lifts were under maintenance, and having to climb the stairs out of the station. I was knackered, but my wife, an asthmatic, had to stop three or four times on the way up.

• Friendly/supportive 2