The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold

And further to the 'we're off the road again' theme here we see Canton's miracle workers dealing with a ticklish problem in Radyr yard. They were one of the best breakdown gangs I've ever come across but they were sorely tried by this one because apart from it being a rather heavy lift the jacks stuck when they'd got the wagon into the air ready to traverse and they had to get another jack in to relieve the first ones in turn so they could be 'let down' manually and then raised again to retake the load; great fun to watch of course.

post-6859-0-12250300-1351280782_thumb.jpg

By way of total contrast - and never worth taking any pics although a tape recorder would have been very useful - were the Bath Road gang whose work seemed to descend into total farce within minutes of arriving on site. None of them liked the supervisor or the way he told them to do lifts (which were often quite dangerous from what I saw - from a safe distance) so they would all start shouting suggestions to him. In response he would turn off his hearing aid and carry on as before, I think I saw them turn more timber packing into high velocity matchwood than any other gang I saw at work anywhere on the western.

• Like 12

Bet the Canton crew never had to contend with a paying audience:

post-6971-0-28856800-1351281307.jpg

A Chatham Dockyard open day in 1985, with Burt being re-railed.

PS what is Burt anyway? I've tried to google it with no luck.

Edit: Simplex diesel shunter (thanks to keefer)

Edit2: see keefer's post 2 below this one

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 5

1985 must have been a bad year for derailments in the Medway Towns - here's a 4-CAP missing its appointment with Rochester station and heading for the goods yard, with a "meeting" going on in the foreground. I never did see how that got fixed.

post-6971-0-31023500-1351281706.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

a simplex diesel shunter, there is one at NRM shildon. pic from 2010

edit:one at shildon is motor-rail simplex 4217 (1931): http://www.flickr.co...man/8067381613/

edit again: found a 'burt' noted as motor rail 9019/1951 from burt, boulton and haywood timber, erith, kent at the amberley railway

pic at bottom of this page. i take it it's the same one?

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

not a good night and I'd just got back to my lodging and to bed after that lot only to be called out again).

Reminds me of the Curzon Street Presflos. Right troublesome when empty. Some came off one night in 1966 whilst being made up for the return working and hit 13 cross rods outside the box. My grandfather, myself and the depot blacksmith spent all next day repairing the damage while the pway gang working on the new PCD were moved over to straighten up the double slip that had been at the centre of the derailment. The Chief Pway inspector aka 'Brown Boots' came out specially to watch the 08 shunt back and forth several times with a rake of empties before personally declaring the road fit for traffic. As we set off down the yard for home, the 08 came along with another rake. There was an almighty clatter and we looked round to see three Presflos at strange angles. Grandfather says "that's tomorrow's job decided" (Three make sharp exit to Eagle and Tun ................)

• Like 9

1985 must have been a bad year for derailments in the Medway Towns - here's a 4-CAP missing its appointment with Rochester station and heading for the goods yard, with a "meeting" going on in the foreground. I never did see how that got fixed.

post-6971-0-31023500-1351281706.jpg

Good job it didn't go a leeeetle bit further and wipe out all the electrical boxes... :O

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My local area had this classic and now legendary incident:

http://andygibbs.zen...9e90f#h3d99e90f

I have even met and worked with the (now retired) driver whose train this was! Apparently the parking brake at the London end was not properly applied the previous night, he prepped the buffer stops end cab, released the parking brake and then went to get a cuppa before going up the front. A couple of minutes later in rushes his guard to tell him his train is moving...

We suggested one of those blue plaques on the wall of the end of the now shortened signalbox when he retired which would have read 'Bob's Train was Here... Bob wasn't...'

One I witnessed myself (well the aftermath of) was this cock up:

post-6910-0-52052900-1351357484_thumb.jpg

Both fully loaded as well which must have presented a bit of a challenge.

There was also an incident at Drayton (between Chichester and Barnham) in about 1992 for which I have been unable to find a record. The last TTA in an oil train for Portfield Sidings derailed and caught fire with the driver once he realised what had happened managing to uncouple it from the rest of the train and move clear. The entire track bed for over a mile and a half had to be completely redone which closed the line for four days. There was a triple grey petrolieum 47 on the front and it passed me just outside Chichester as I was on the last train to go the other way before the alarm was raised and remember thinking something didn't quite sound right towards the back of the train when it went by,

The rather burnt TTA sat on a well wagon in Barnham bay/goods platform for a couple of weeks afterwards. Would love to find out more about that incident but information seems to be non-existent.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 6

Homage to those early eighties uniforms which did not suit anyone regardless of shape and size!. Martyn Taylor on the left. I once saw him pick up a wasp put it on the back of his hand and stroke it and not get stung. Charlie Daniels (no, not that one) who was an evacuee in the war and still sounded as though he had just arrived from the east end the previous day.

post-14048-0-34891500-1351375313_thumb.jpg

Ironing technology had still to reach north Devon at this time!

Edited by Eggesford box
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Are those traverse-jacks they are using?

Looks like MFD gear although the jacks look as if they are standing on packing so that must have been a separate lift from the traverse move. Usual thing was to lift first to be able to lower the vehicle onto the traverse trolleys and then use the small rams to do the traverse then lift with teh jacks on packing to get the beams out. But every job had its own little differences of course and different gangs did things different ways.

• Like 3