The human side of the railway...

This very subject came up in conversation between me and my colleague Roger Howe today as we were waiting for a taxi to Bardon to start our respective jobs.... once upon a time Roger had put in for Old Oak and St.Pancras in that order, a vacancy duly arose at St.Pancras and Rodge was asked if he wanted to go there or hold out for Old Oak, he ummed and arred for a bit then plumped for St.Pancras. Talking about what a grand place Old Oak used to be in the taxi, he admitted slightly regretting his move to the Midland terminus!

A few months after I started at Stonebridge Park back in early '83 I filled out a transfer chit with Old Oak as my first preference, followed by Laira and St.Blazey, a vacancy at OC came up within two weeks and off I went, happy as a sand boy, but looking back I've often wondered how life in general would have turned out if a vacancy at LA or BZ had arisen first... you never can tell can you!

• RMweb Gold

A few months after I started at Stonebridge Park back in early '83 I filled out a transfer chit with Old Oak as my first preference, followed by Laira and St.Blazey, a vacancy at OC came up within two weeks and off I went, happy as a sand boy, but looking back I've often wondered how life in general would have turned out if a vacancy at LA or BZ had arisen first... you never can tell can you!

If it had been LA you would probably have still been there a few years later when the Driving date opened up by a jump of several years and a bunch commonly referred to as 'the Lavender Hill mob' arrived from various sarf Lundun booking-on points with some very different ideas about a Driver's job from the ways of the Western. I understand that it was not at first a happy marriage ;)

• Like 3

Like the secondman at Kings Cross who applied for a driving vacancy, his fourth preference was surprising as he lived on the Seven Sisters Road, a couple of miles from KX. He thought he'd got a job round the corner, but then found himself travelling saarf o' the river to somewhere near Epsom Downs ....

He got made up to driver at Tottenham Corner so he thought. :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :no: Tattenham Corner. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :mail:

• RMweb Gold

I suppose anybody who knows me would guess that I'd show a photo of Stratford's 76t crane in action with Breakdown Supervisor Pete Robinson in the orange coat.

post-7024-0-43817900-1345584713_thumb.jpg

This view clearly shows the angle of the breakdown crane's superstructure. The driver had opened the cab door to ask Pete why he'd been told to stop. The track panel that I'm standing at the end of is the one that tipped the 12t crane over. The panels had been cut into 30 foot lengths, but they hadn't bothered undoing the fishplates, and 60 foot panels on a single fall hoist (SWL 6 tons) just didn't work.

post-7024-0-75082500-1345584808_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Some preservation / railtour shots.... one or two being quite well known faces... ;)

post-7638-0-52499300-1345734275_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-08578900-1345734631_thumb.jpg

Driver Neil Carter & Mark Taylor (I think that's his surname...?) at Bridgnorth...

post-7638-0-64682100-1345735602.jpg

Tom Sawyer of the DTG...

post-7638-0-26888400-1345735662.jpg

post-7638-0-83544200-1345735755.jpg

Not a very clear shot but Driver / Inspector Nick Edwards is in the chair at Moreton-in-Marsh with Western Champion... Nick passed me out for driving...

post-7638-0-83137400-1345735778_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-47507600-1345736004_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

post-7081-0-52492900-1345749686_thumb.jpg

At Kingsland Road Yard, Bristol Area Relief Freight Supervisor H J (Jack) Hyde strikes a pose, 20/9/83.

When I was a, (very) wet behind the ears, new TOPS clerk in 1978 Jack was one of the senior men in the area.

He always had patience with us TOPS clerks, something that was not universal at the time.

Also, in quiet spells, he had plenty of tales to tell. He had been on duty alone at night as a porter

at Bristol St Phillips Midland station during the Bristol Blitz, and later worked as a guard on the North end of the S&D

cheers

• Like 10

Just came across this memory jogger on flickr, featuring an Old Oak crew I think I recognise... I'm pretty sure the Driver with the flat cap on was a Londoner called Phil something, but the young secondman looks to me like John 'Flapper' Gladwin, who I believe is now an Acton or Wembley man....

http://www.flickr.co...57624052765052/

The pic was taken on 24th June 1984 which was a Sunday, the 16.10 for Hereford being a nice gentle Old Oak afternoon turn as far as Oxford I think. 31 117 certainly was one of our 'pet' engines at the time, along with it's 'twin' 31 121 which was also usually kept very clean. I feel old looking at this... it was taken twenty eight years ago but I can remember quite vividly cleaning the cab floors of both of these locos with cotton waste many times on Old Oak Shed!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4

Nice bit of human activity in that piccie Nidge. The blokes in their "summer plumage" of slop jackets. At least they were regarded more as a summer jacket round our way.

Edited by Phil

• RMweb Gold

Aye Phil.... I still wear my 'summer jacket' occasionally, had it thirty years and it still fits!

You're a lucky chap Nidge - my uniform suits long ago ceased to fit (but they were more or less worn out anyway so no problem there) but my 'black mac' definitely seems to have shrunk and I do wonder about the boiler suit Jack Hancock gave me years ago (and he was a big chap) which I haven't tried on for quite a few years - in fact the last time I wore it was when I was fire-dropping on a 'Castle' (of the preserved variety I hasten to add!!).

• Like 1

It's a bit faded Mike but it still looks the part! I was planning on using it on my Bardon - Washwood Heath - Bardon job tomorrow but the weather's not looking too good at the moment.... I've also still got my zip up Secondman's jackets and Driver's jackets tucked away in the wardrobe though. The BR leather kit back still sees a bit of action now and again too, as does my trusty enamel mash can when the mood strikes... ;)

Here's a couple more shots from the Cobbler / Richard Coleman Northampton archives...

Stan Braybrook and colleague at Euston...

post-7638-0-47227700-1346231826_thumb.jpg

No names here but this was taken on Northampton shed... note the (locally) famous hole in the fence by the canal...

post-7638-0-12152100-1346231881_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

got linked to this pic today

https://www.facebook...&type=3

Tim - just wanted to say a belated big thanks for posting that link... I had a proper look at it yesterday (for about four hours) and got in touch with an old friend I hadn't seen or spoken to in twenty eight years via the photo comments and the names, faces and happy memories came flooding back.... so thankyou again!!!

Isn't RMWeb a smashing place to be...? ;)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 7

Hooton South 29th October 1975

post-6748-0-84548300-1346446613.jpg

with, myself (with more hair!), Harry Reade, Fred Stenhous, Kenny Langhorn and Barry Walker (a guard, with his back to camera)

That`s how I remember first seeing you! :yes:

Do you have any pics of Raymond Dickie and Brian ???? (Elliot?).....`lovely chaps!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

post-79-0-64660100-1346448714_thumb.jpg

On the left my grandad a shunter at Hull Alexandra Dock this photo would be mid fifties.

I true railway fashion, he was commended for removing a train of mines off the dockside during an air raid, several years later he got a Form 1 for sending a couple of wagons over the buffer stops and onto the pavement of Hedon Road !!

Simon

• Like 11

None of Brian but here's one of Ray with Reg Steele also in Hooton south

post-6748-0-79153000-1346447588.jpg

One of my favourite 1970`s railway memories is standing on the interlocking-floor under Hooton South watching that 'wall of racking' in action, listening to the footfalls and block-bell/tapper working of the bobbies above! :imsohappy:

• RMweb Gold

One of my favourite 1970`s railway memories is standing on the interlocking-floor under Hooton South watching that 'wall of racking' in action, listening to the footfalls and block-bell/tapper working of the bobbies above! :imsohappy:

Me too - and dodging the assister weights !

Sadly I never photographed the bobbies although I met plenty, I think I've got Keith in Port Sunlight and somewhere I've got one of your sister in Sunlight. I've got plenty of train registers with peoples names in of course - including Ray back in the 1950s (ex Spital), his entries are easy to spot, his writing was perfect.

• Like 1