The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold

A shot of Pendennis Castle at Hereford.

post-5613-0-26764900-1417213806_thumb.jpg

Hereford Bulmers 4073 Pendennis Castle being cleaned prior to working a McAlpine private charter to Shrewsbury Sunday 7th April 1974 C1566

The train ran from Kensington Olympia to Shrewsbury via Newport and Hereford.

It was hauled by 1030 Western Musketeer from Olympia to Newport, Flying Scotsman from there to Hereford and Pendennis Castle from Hereford to Shrewsbury.

The train was then hauled by 47087 back to Kensington Olympia.

David

• Like 6

22020460004.jpg

The Aylesbury Town - Calvert token is picked up by the driver of 60005 with the Kings X Goods - Calvert spoil on February 22nd 2004. With the opening on Aylesbury Vale Parkway further down this branch token changes at Aylesbury town ceased as far as i know

NR

www.leightonlogs.org

Edited by South of 1E
  • Like 7

22020460004.jpg

The Aylesbury Town - Calvert token is picked up by the driver of 60005 with the Kings X Goods - Calvert spoil on February 22nd 2004. With the opening on Aylesbury Vale Parkway further down this branch token changes at Aylesbury town ceased as far as i know

NR

www.leightonlogs.org

When we had the Calvert job at Rugby we had to collect the token from the Station Manager's office on the up platform at Aylesbury before relieving the incoming train and heading north with it.

• RMweb Premium

The token huts are in the north loop now, one for collecting the token going north and the other to deposit it going south(Up there again next week)

That will keep the S&T busy moving tokens from one machine to another then ;-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you examine the building to the left you can see the nameboards from the (closed and replaced by a ground frame) signal box - Folly Lane - one mounted on the front and partially obscured by the man and the other leaning on the front and partially off scene to the left, between them they make the whole board !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Different meaning of the word "human"

I was going to take a photograph of the moggy to the right, perhaps with the caption "I'm in position, trespussing, when's the steam special due?" however look to the background and you will see a fox walking along the rail towards an approaching 153, the driver whistled several times and the fox (and the cat) ran off, no doubt the fox would have moved anyway but it was nice to see a driver with some concern for other creatures.

post-6662-0-71182100-1417352058_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-15950200-1417352237_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Only if the machines are not fitted with balancing magazines...

they do indeed have balancing magazines

its a funny set up along there as you pick up the token before entering the section and leave the section with the token and carry it for about a mile and a half before deposting it in the machine

there are signs at aylesbury vale parkway saying "start of token section to claydon" and at the south end of aylesbury loop saying "trains from claydon return token"

coming south there are signals on both lines that i assume he cannot pull off until the token is returned but going north there is only a signal in the loop but you can pick up the token on the mainline adjacent to the machine box, if you do that then the signaller will inform you by gsm-r that you will be collecting the token on the mainline, ive done it twice as there has been a southbound train in the loop as ive been headed north, if you forgot to collect the token it wouldnt be a spad as, as ive mentioned above the protecting signal and start of the token section is a good 1 1/2 miles away but it would be a heck of a walk to go back to the machine!

another thing that seems odd (but isn't) is there can be a number of trains on the single line section between aylesbury vale and claydon, i regularly run up there as one is being unloaded in calvert which has locked itself inside but i have also seen another stabled in there at the same time too, so 3 trains safely in the section at once, there is only one standard token for the branch though, (avp to claydon) rather than a separate one for just going as far as calvert

sorry to go off topic!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

Me on the W&C many years ago! The T shirt was a limited run produced by me and had the slogan "ride the drain train" with a drawing of the train on it!

a rare pic in the hidden sidings.

post-1654-0-86926300-1417647168_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Corfe Castle webcam.  The driver of 33111 has a wander up the track to confer with one of the platform staff.  He then returns to the cab while some young passengers do their best impression of enthusiasts on a railtour!

post-17625-0-12292400-1417880988_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-57480900-1417880990_thumb.jpg

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 5