The human side of the railway...

These guys seemed to keep smiling when meeting the hoards disembarking for the Great Goodbye at Shildon. (See the queue going off to the museum under the bridge).

Hope they weren't temporary agency staff paid off with a cynical smile after the event.

post-508-0-86952800-1418044529.jpg

Porcy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With just over a couple of weeks until the contract moves to Colas in January, it looks like DBS had a Christmas outing judging by the crowded cab of 60015.

60015 on 6E32, 0855 Preston Docks to Lindsey at Mirfield East Junction on 12th December 2014.

• Like 4

Cracking photo - I loved those peak hour Thames Valley commuter services. Well maintained large logo Old Oak 50s on 7 coach VB Mk1 sets, with enthusiastic drivers like RMWeb's Brian Daniels - what's not to like? Fast from Paddington to Reading, often above the rated maximum for the stock with the BR1 bogies banging and hunting away over the points at Dolphin Junction and Ruscombe, before rolling into Reading in 27 mins for the 36 miles. Then crossing to the Down Relief for the main event - all stations to Didcot: flat out in notch 7 from each start until the last possible braking point, then hard in with the brake for a beautifully judged stop each time....Tilehurst, Pangbourne, Goring, Cholsey, Didcot....before a final sprint to Oxford. Deep joy! If I ever make enough money, one day I'd like to pay for a preserved 50 and Vintage Trains' VB set to do it all over again....

David

Bit late to the party here, but you are just so right! In 86/87 when i was at apprentice school in swindon, mid week when the rest of them were trying to get served in the pub, once or twice a week i would scoot down to reading straight after work soley for this purpose. As you say, the stoppers were just the best. Count me in when you hire the stock to to it again :) :).

Happy days!

• RMweb Premium

Gotta give them something to do, it wouldn't be fair if they spent all day in the cabin drinking tea  :jester:

Yeah, but it might help if signalmen didn't keep offering us tea every time we pop up the box in the first place  :jester: 

In any case isn't it bad manners to refuse hospitality and we wouldn't want to hurt their feelings (you never know when you might need their co-operation) ;)

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, but it might help if signalmen didn't keep offering us tea every time we pop up the box in the first place  :jester:

In any case isn't it bad manners to refuse hospitality and we wouldn't want to hurt their feelings (you never know when you might need their co-operation) ;)

You should count yourself lucky that you are offered tea - one of the worst things you can do with anyone on the railway is to make tea and not offer them any.  I remember the night the layout was altered at Yeovil Jcn back in 1975 and there were well over a dozen folk in the 'box as well as the Signalman, he made a brew in a very large teapot and offered a cup to everybody - me, the Groundmen, the locking fitters and the Locking tester, in fact everyone, except the DI.  The latter got the message and duly stumped off into the night 'to look at the clamp lock' (which was in process of commissioning at the far end of the platform; about 20 minutes later I took the two Groundmen down to do a bit of familiarisation with manual operation on the clamp lock and there was no sign of either the DI or his van, which had been parked opposite the station.  There's definitely a message when it comes to tea.

• Like 1

The flip side to that.

I remember when I first went to Abergavenny box and made the linesman and his mate a cup of tea and the surprised look on their faces.

Where I had come from in Devon the S&T where a great set of blokes, nothing was to much trouble and the maintenance was first class (and needless to say in a reorganisation the linesman was pushed out of the job he loved and was good at). They always took their break in the signal box.

The pair in south Wales where nowhere near as well thought of and maintenance seemed to be minimal. The Ivorine on the inner home was worn through to the black where the signalmen used to put their foot on it to pull the up home and you never used No.13 clamp lock crossover unless you had no choice as it would fail as often as it would work. I was less inclined to make them a cuppa the better I knew them!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There's a song mentions him hereWatch "Big Big Train - English Electric Part 2 - East Co…" on YouTube

Big Big Train - English Electric Part 2 - East Co…:

Edited by russ p

• RMweb Gold

This was taken at Clapham Junction around 1988/89.

How times have changed.  The 4 Bep unit was moving at the time, albeit fairly slowly in the yard, with the driver in conversation with the shunter...who is riding on the step of the motor bogie...above the third rail.  Not much evidence of PPE on the shunter either.

I imagine that that was part and parcel of normal or accepted operating practise on the railway at the time.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Crikey! A ped assisting an HST, has it got there yet or still en-route?! :mosking:

I know we need an irony button, but could it be the other way around? Bizarrely, the HST has been called to aid the 31. :mosking: