Rugd1022

The human side of the railway...

And how many have you ever seen that looked like that???

Quite a lot actually - at one passenger yard I knew rather well they were almost all like that (with 2 pilots round the clock both with a Head Shunter and mate that was quite a  lot of Shunters).  Some however (not in that yard) did seem to develop the consequences of both a lot of arm and shoulder exercise and the consumption of considerable quantities of beer.

Short and thin for modern rolling stock but if you are shunting standard gangways a bit of height would help.

Also lamp brackets I am 5ft 7in yet find that the bottom lamp bracket on a Mk1 is only just in reach esp when in No 1s

Short and thin for modern rolling stock but if you are shunting standard gangways a bit of height would help.

Also lamp brackets I am 5ft 7in yet find that the bottom lamp bracket on a Mk1 is only just in reach esp when in No 1s

My blokes seemed to manage fairly well with standard gangways - apart from one who forgot about them, and pulled the end off a Siphon (yes, the entire end, not just the gangway).

• Like 4

My blokes seemed to manage fairly well with standard gangways - apart from one who forgot about them, and pulled the end off a Siphon (yes, the entire end, not just the gangway).

I bet you all had a good "laugh" about that...

P

I bet you all had a good "laugh" about that...

P

It certainly looked 'interesting' as the entire gangway, plus the vehicle end, was left hanging off the end of what had been the adjacent vehicle - which had an undamaged gangway!  I don't know if the Shunter laughed about it very much during his subsequent 'days off' (without pay)?

Oooops!

On the plus side, he kept two on the rails!

I think that may have been caused by exceeding the speed limit, it seemed to be going a bit fast for that trackwork.

Couple of trespassers caught on one of the Crewe webcams (no account required to view the videos):

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=801730469916120&set=vb.121163121306195&type=2&theater&notif_t=like

Person appears near the Heritage Centre signal box at the start of the clip: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=801731053249395&set=vb.121163121306195&type=2&theater&notif_t=like

Edited by BR(S)

Couple of trespassers caught on one of the Crewe webcams (no account required to view the videos):

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=801730469916120&set=vb.121163121306195&type=2&theater&notif_t=like

Person appears near the Heritage Centre signal box at the start of the clip: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=801731053249395&set=vb.121163121306195&type=2&theater&notif_t=like

On a totally OT point, that's some curved point - the prototype for the Peco ones?

I've been scanning some old family photos, and I thought this one might be of interest:

post-1771-0-53233800-1428872611.jpg

It's of one of my great-uncles. The writing on the back says "Cheyenne 1910/11". He had gone to Wyoming from Scotland with a brother and brother-in-law (my grandfather) and in the 1910 US census records they were all working for the Union Pacific. According to my late Mum, this great-uncle became a track gang boss, and I think this picture may have been taken 'on the job' - see the rails on the left of the picture. There's probably some 'staging' going on, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did carry a gun. My grandmother told us when she lived in Cheyenne - she went out a couple of years after my grandfather - she kept a loaded shotgun behind the kitchen door.

• Like 9

Spit and polish at the Swanage Railway on 7th May 2015.

• Like 7

Token exchange 37423 Sellafield 23/05/2015

post-12740-0-99794200-1432460561_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Steve

• Like 7

Photos taken over the past couple of weeks, a rather multi-national selection

PW crew at Brussels Midi

P1010649_zpsxctjutha.jpg

Shunters Zagreb

P1010885_zpsl1cgmh47.jpg

Wheeltapper Zagreb

P1010894_zpsddnntfyy.jpg

Coupling up Volinja

P1010840_zpspqi9ymyx.jpg

Station master somewhere in Bosnia

P1010828_zpsq7gu8t9g.jpg

War memorial for railway staff, somewhere in Bosnia

P1010836_zpswcah9q6m.jpg

• Like 12

post-7024-0-86871900-1434314424_thumb.jpg

Driver and secondman in front of the train that they took from Kingmoor to Carlisle to form a train to Euston, sometime in 1974.

• Like 10

Driver and secondman in front of the train that they took from Kingmoor to Carlisle to form a train to Euston, sometime in 1974.

If there wasn't a 87 in that picture it could be from 1874!

If there wasn't a 87 in that picture it could be from 1874!

1874 !!! I didn't know that the line was electrified that early !! 

A trackside worker eyeballs a passing East Midlands Trains 158 as it approaches Werrington Junction, North of Peterborough, on 9th June 2015.

• Like 6