The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Premium

Whilst on holiday on Peru, I spotted these two guys painting undeframe bits on coaches - the train was due to depart a couple of hours later, so plenty of time for it to dry.

post-408-0-74135600-1434667451_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-14224000-1434667454_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile back in the UK on a day tripper sampling the DRS/Cumbrian Coast 37's.

"Your name's not down, you're not coming in"

post-408-0-28188500-1434667456_thumb.jpg

And a couple of spotters at Leeds. (My mate and my elder brother)

post-408-0-58555900-1434667457_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Heres the bottom half of Jon, one of our local locking fitters, stood in the hole in the box floor this week, while renewing the locking.

post-8375-0-64054500-1434719141.jpg

The A tray was being overhauled with new tappets and the tray was getting a clean and new bridals and locks as required.

While this was going on, I was running the box normally with the existing locking (in the B tray which has the covers on) and trying to remember not to fall down the hole!

Andy G

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Nah he's checking for a puncture.

I had thought he was checking on the hamsters in the wheels.

"Wonder if they wrote the DCC address on the underside."

joking apart im not quite sure what he's looking for, there's nothing to check there on a class 70!

• RMweb Premium

joking apart im not quite sure what he's looking for, there's nothing to check there on a class 70!

Maybe they're barfing because the 70 is so damn ugly..........?

Cheers,

Mick

On the road I use HiViz supplied by the local Poiice Dept. Though it is the same color as British cops (rather than orange) it was implied that it is the contrast between the HiViz and black pants (trousers), black shoes that makes one stand out.

I notice that the PW guys in Porcy’s post are not wearing a full suit of HiViz either..........

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Vis... The camouflage of the new century.

http://www.stephengill.co.uk/portfolio/portfolio#num=content-676&id=album-30

P

Odd, while I have long understood that this hi-viz stuff makes trains bounce off human bodies it is refreshing to know that it can not only do the same with road vehicles but will also make you bounce if you fall off a ladder.

Odd, while I have long understood that this hi-viz stuff makes trains bounce off human bodies it is refreshing to know that it can not only do the same with road vehicles but will also make you bounce if you fall off a ladder.

...and make you blend into the background when blagging a bank or safe box depository!

P

• Like 1

Hi Vis... The camouflage of the new century.

http://www.stephengill.co.uk/portfolio/portfolio#num=content-676&id=album-30

P

Camouflage it is. I lost count of the number of times I was  bumped into whilst wearing orange from head to toe, including hat, and the bumper claiming they didn't see the bumpee,  i.e.  me.

Andy

Edited by SM42

I had a problem with level crossing wigwag lenses getting smashed, mainly the amber, I stood guard on a cold frosty Friday night dressed in full orange. I milled about between my two AOCL's around closing time. Eventually a chap walked up, produced a hammer and smashed a lens. I was standing directly opposite on the edge of the carriageway. He really hadn't seen me. He must have jumped a foot in the air when i challenged him. I swore blind i'd materialised out of thin air. There were no more smashed lenses.

• Like 3

I didn't get an explanation and he made a pretty sharp exit. I called the police and they took a description but i never heard another thing about it. I found it rather troubling that he was walking the streets with a claw hammer about his person. Was he in the pub like it? AS i say though, problem cured.

• Like 3

Re the image of Carlisle and it being advised as 4A signal box can anybody confirm if the boarded up platform level window is where the train running board used to be. Kept us all informed of late running overnight services that one, many a rover replanned on seeing 60L come up! simply Headcode and lateness logged I think. Gone by the mid 80's another chink of the railway lost?

thanks

Nick