Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

• RMweb Premium

Seeing the discussion earlier in the thread about Hornby's notoriously dodgy GWR liveries got me thinking. I've got a R3454 5076 "Drysllwyn Castle" squirrelled away somewhere which suffers from the questionable livery issue. Short of a full repaint, is there anything that can be done to these Hornby GWR locos to improve the look of the livery?

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Seeing the discussion earlier in the thread about Hornby's notoriously dodgy GWR liveries got me thinking. I've got a R3454 5076 "Drysllwyn Castle" squirrelled away somewhere which suffers from the questionable livery issue. Short of a full repaint, is there anything that can be done to these Hornby GWR locos to improve the look of the livery?

Have a look in the A2 thread - some good results been had from both varnishing and Johnson’s ‘Clear’. Best results are from repainting tho 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, MikeParkin65 said:

Have a look in the A2 thread - some good results been had from both varnishing and Johnson’s ‘Clear’. Best results are from repainting tho 

Great, thanks. I'll give that a look 👍

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

The Castle is something I would at least consider repainting as I don't have to do the chassis, only the body. Far less daunting than my SR locos 😄

Some years ago,Locomotion Models NRM released a new Hornby KGV in overall gloss finish which was a drastic improvement on the bog standard…er,whatever it was…. This was apparently achieved by the application of the above mentioned clear gloss varnish. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Some years ago,Locomotion Models NRM released a new Hornby KGV in overall gloss finish which was a drastic improvement on the bog standard…er,whatever it was…. This was apparently achieved by the application of the above mentioned clear gloss varnish. 

Thanks. Having looked through the A2 as suggested, I think my first course of action will be to replace the lining and give it a coat of the gloss varnish.

Then if I'm still not happy with it I'll look at going the full repaint route. It's sad to see these lovely locos let down by flat, dull liveries.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Yeah, it's a shame Drysllwyn Castle is from the era when seemingly Hornby just couldn't get GWR green right. And the lining, especially on the boiler is questionable at best.

If they can hold it together in these storm tossed circumstances ( and that’s a big ask ),new releases over the past year even convince me that they are capable of producing a newly tooled Saint or even a Hawksworth County to a standard that matches the best. Well,despite resounding hints,no other company has  stepped up to the plate. So why not Hornby ?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

If they can hold it together in these storm tossed circumstances ( and that’s a big ask ),new releases over the past year even convince me that they are capable of producing a newly tooled Saint or even a Hawksworth County to a standard that matches the best. Well,despite resounding hints,no other company has  stepped up to the plate. So why not Hornby ?

I find the mechanisms of Hornby steamers hard to beat, provided I haven’t a rogue. They are smooth, quiet and powerful. If Hornby can produce a GWR green to the standard of, for example, the Turbomotive in LMS red, then indeed why not Hornby? Preferably without lights. If we must have lights, then none on the tender rear and and appropriate code on the front but only bright enough to see faintly but, preferably, no lights. Into the bargain, there are no rear carrying wheels on a Saint or County to make a mess of.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Quite so. With apologies for amateurish photo setting.IMG_0041.jpeg.d84fb44cf881d107f34818fdd545f8ea.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Looking to buy a first castle for my collection, torn between 7034 ince and 7023 Penrice. Can’t decide which I prefer all beit small differences. Can anyone tell me why one has full copper chimney and the other not?