Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

• RMweb Premium

I know that there was some discussion around the tenders, but I wonder if the 4,000 gal collett is from the grange? I assume that's a decent model and would count as new tooling for the castle. Any thoughts?

It may well be the basis, but where is the DCC decoder socket on the Grange? Isn't it in the loco? The Castle has the decoder socket in the tender and the new power connector to the loco. If so, something has to be redesigned. And hasn't Hornby said both tender variants will be all new tooling.

• RMweb Gold

Quick favour to ask of anyone who needs to take the body off,

I could really do with someone putting a micrometer across the inside of the covers over the top of the wheels. I've just realised that my Hornby A3 dosnt have enough room between them to fit proper wheels, and I dont really want to end up buying a Castle and finding out that the same is true with that.

• RMweb Gold

Richard,

We sort of had a quick look at this at DRAG last week (I poped along to see what all this P4 malarky is about and brought my Castle to show).

There isn't much room unmodified but it looks like the splashers are made of quite thick plastic and could probably be quite safely thinned down from the inside.

John (Re6/6) might be able to give you a more P4centric answer although we only had a steel rule to hand to make our rather crude measurements. But it looked as if there was at least 5mm difference between the inside and outside edge of the splashers.

• RMweb Gold

Richard,

We sort of had a quick look at this at DRAG last week (I poped along to see what all this P4 malarky is about and brought my Castle to show).

There isn't much room unmodified but it looks like the splashers are made of quite thick plastic and could probably be quite safely thinned down from the inside.

John (Re6/6) might be able to give you a more P4centric answer although we only had a steel rule to hand to make our rather crude measurements. But it looked as if there was at least 5mm difference between the inside and outside edge of the splashers.

Thanks, sounds like theres a lot more materiel there than there was on the A3 so hopefully it wont be such a problem, Will keep an eye out if I see one going for a bargain price!

One other question, which castles have been running on the mainline since 1998?

Fatadder,

i think that thses are the remaining castles, 4 have been running since 1998.

GWR 4-6-0 4073 Caerphilly Castle 4073 Castle - NRM/ Science Museum/ Static exhibit at STEAM Swindon.

http://www.steam-museum.org.uk/steam/steam-locomotivesandrollingstock.htm

GWR 4-6-0 4079 Pendennis Castle 4073 Castle - in Australia until c. 2000 hasn't run in UK since.

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/guide/projectitems/4079project.html

GWR 4-6-0 5029 Nunney Castle 4073 Castle - has been on mainline, before and after a recent overhaul c 2006-8.

http://www.5029nunneycastle.co.uk/

GWR 4-6-0 5043 Banbury Castle / Earl of Mount Edgcumbe 4073 Castle. back on mainline 2009. http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/5043.htm

GWR 4-6-0 5051 Drysllywyn Castle / Earl Bathurst 4073 Castle. was on main line until 2008.

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/locos/5051/5051.html

GWR 4-6-0 5080 Ogmore Castle / Defiant 4073 Castle - was on main line 1988-97. now on display at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre, Quainton.

http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/5080.htm.

GWR 4-6-0 7027 Thornbury Castle 4073 Castle - kit of parts?

GWR 4-6-0 7029 Clun Castle 4073 Castle - ran until 2001.

http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/7029.htm

• RMweb Premium

Fatadder,

GWR 4-6-0 4079 Pendennis Castle 4073 Castle - in Australia until c. 2000 hasn't run in UK since.

And Pendennis Castle will be back on the main line in the next few years:

http://www.didcotrai...079project.html

Another UKP 40,000 - UKP 60,000 needs to be raised.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that list,

here is a pic of my 'Earl Cairns' for those who may be interested, some photo retouching with PSP6... it's a sweet runner,

0_castle_5053_earl_cairns_r950.jpg

Rob

Theres a decent review of this Castle in this months Model Rail No 140.A few niggles mentioned including the wrong font on the smokebox number.Most modellers will replace the number with an etched one anyway.

Theres a decent review of this Castle in this months Model Rail No 140.A few niggles mentioned including the wrong font on the smokebox number.Most modellers will replace the number with an etched one anyway.

I'm afraid I don't go that far myself. I'll put it down to 'font chosen by shed superintendent' without official sanction. Not that that would ever happen on the WR!

My model needed slight adjustment to the front bogie mounting bracket to give good adhesion. I don't think it is a common issue.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

With the Hornby 2010 Catalogue now available, can anyone tell me what livery Tintagel Castle is being released in?

I don't yet have a copy handy in the forests of the Pacfic Northwest.

Plain Great Western on the tender.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I don't go that far myself. I'll put it down to 'font chosen by shed superintendent' without official sanction. Not that that would ever happen on the WR!

Rob

Indeed, it would probably raise eyebrows if someone made an entire set of new masters to produce some odd font plates ;).

You do see a variety of fonts on wagon plates where the older ones have been taken from the rack to make up the plate but I would think it would be unlikely with the smokebox plates when BR standardised on one font.

No doubt someone will find an odd one now.

• RMweb Premium

I guess I do have to buy one then.

Yup, me too. Looks as thought it's going to be an expensive year with this and the 28xx. And the clerestories in the GWR 175 train pack look rather interesting. Have they been done in fully lined garter crest before? Maybe some nice dealer would split the set.

I guess I do have to buy one then. I was expecting it to end up in the post-war scheme which is of no use to me, so I am pleasantly surprised.

Adrian

Yup, me too. Looks as thought it's going to be an expensive year with this and the 28xx. And the clerestories in the GWR 175 train pack look rather interesting. Have they been done in fully lined garter crest before? Maybe some nice dealer would split the set.

It looks lovely - I'm definitely up for one. Thanks for the link. I searched Hornby's website yesterday, but the B&W photo of No. 7034 showed up in the search results and I didn't bother to make the last click!

• RMweb Gold

It looks lovely - I'm definitely up for one. Thanks for the link. I searched Hornby's website yesterday, but the B&W photo of No. 7034 showed up in the search results and I didn't bother to make the last click!

Yes what a beauty.I must admit that its in the livery I wanted.It suits the Kings and Castles so well. :icon_drool:

I would think it would be unlikely with the smokebox plates when BR standardised on one font.

They didn't though. smile.gif The Eastern Region used curly top 6's and 9's. The Western Region used a larger font than the LMR and so on. Then there were spaced out numerals such as in LYR and LMR 'Crab' locos. All adds to the spice of life, but the smokebox plate on the new Hornby 'Castle' is unlike anything. As most self respecting modellers fit etched plates, it doesnt matter, but even here beware of smokebox plates that have not come from hand drawn artwork.

They didn't though. smile.gif The Eastern Region used curly top 6's and 9's. The Western Region used a larger font than the LMR and so on. Then there were spaced out numerals such as in LYR and LMR 'Crab' locos. All adds to the spice of life, but the smokebox plate on the new Hornby 'Castle' is unlike anything. As most self respecting modellers fit etched plates, it doesnt matter, but even here beware of smokebox plates that have not come from hand drawn artwork.

The models of Castles are superb. I personally can live with a slight 'error' in smokebox plate number font, if it is an error. In later BR days a lot of engines lost plates altogether, and all power to you if you want to fit etched plates, scale wheels and P4 the locos.

My own feeling is that 00 scale and coarse wheels are fine for running, but they are the greatest compromises in these models. I have great admiration for the people who design and manufacture them at such low price.

Can't wait for a GWR-era Castle too! Bachmann GWR Collett carriages are quite cheap now too. Presenting the days of the 1930s when the Cheltenham Flyer was very fast.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, it would probably raise eyebrows if someone made an entire set of new masters to produce some odd font plates ;).

You do see a variety of fonts on wagon plates where the older ones have been taken from the rack to make up the plate but I would think it would be unlikely with the smokebox plates when BR standardised on one font.

No doubt someone will find an odd one now.

Please sir, can I have the prize sir? As far as I know at least one 'Castle' (7022) ended its days with a (very neatly) hand painted smokebox number plate in a 'non standard' font. 4079 also appeared to have a rather unusual looking font at the end of its BR career.

In the case of 7022 it seems likely the original plate had gone and been replaced and teh same might have been the case with 4079?

Please sir, can I have the prize sir? As far as I know at least one 'Castle' (7022) ended its days with a (very neatly) hand painted smokebox number plate in a 'non standard' font. 4079 also appeared to have a rather unusual looking font at the end of its BR career.

In the case of 7022 it seems likely the original plate had gone and been replaced and teh same might have been the case with 4079?

:P thought i'd get blown out of the water with that one ;). Hand painted plates near the end of steam isn't really what I was thinking about tbh.

Larry's post is a bit annoying though as I was hoping I could just use the one font for mine and stick them on the sides of my test etches, bit annoying if they were all different fonts :(.

Can't wait for a GWR-era Castle too! Bachmann GWR Collett carriages are quite cheap now too. Presenting the days of the 1930s when the Cheltenham Flyer was very fast.

Unfortunately, the pre-1935 livery on the Castle doesn't really match the 1938-built Bachmann Colletts... I'm sure some of the Castles may have carried that livery into the late 1930's, but I expect most of them went over to the new corporate livery with the shirtbutton since they were used on the more important trains.

You are basically left with the old Hornby Colletts or kit-built stock to match this livery.

I wonder how many brass coaches it will handle...

Adrian