Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

Nice weathered finish, too...

The 'weathered finish' is 813's last paintjob from when she was working between 2000 and 2009. Won't be long now and she'll be going into Kidderminster Carriage Works soon where a fresh new paintjob will be applied. Should be ready just in time for the Season Finale Gala. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

'Tornado' 60103, arrived on SVR metals today, coming onto the 'down' line travelling to northwards Brignorth....looked good as 'she' passed through non-stop in the Arley sunshine......

post-20610-0-65005900-1473361792.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Took the 6 year old twoin grandsons yesterday, who were as happy to ride behind "Bradley Manor" (because they are allowed to operate my 4mm version) as to see 'Scotsman' and 'Tornado'

Whatever the opposing views on the cost of rebuilding "Scotsman" - I cannot recall so many people in, around and on the SVR.

post-1599-0-03476200-1474837493_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-77777700-1474837514_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-72010900-1474837536_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-98549200-1474837556_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-71278100-1474837570_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Glad you enjoyed yourself. It has been an odd event in many ways. We had no choice when we could have the engine and when booked the hype had not kicked off so the following 'the Scottish engine' had was not known. At that point as well we had not hosted the Tornado / Scot weekend which showed the issues we could have with popular engines.

As a result the Gala committee which has a large number of volunteers on it felt it better to have Tornado and 'the Scottish engine' as an event all on its own. Yes that upset a some of the people who visit every September for Gala, but it was felt there was little choice.

Through the early part of this year there was a very large planning exercise following on from the events on the ELR and NYMR and with people like the Police involved as well. I think its safe to say it resulted in one of the largest operating manuals for one event I have ever seen at 118 pages covering just about everything.

Yes things did not go perfectly, the demand for tickets was such we could have sold probably four to five times the number we had and our website, which at its peak normally has about 80 concurrent users had over 7000. This was far more than either of the previous railways had experienced and the paid staff had to work their socks off on the phones, desk etc trying to satisfy the demand.

The actual running was different with lots of work with local landowners who decided that they would open certain fields so people could park and see the trains laying on toilets and in some cases pig roasts. The event was unusual in lots of ways, to start the trains were pre booked although from Friday onwards we started selling more tickets for normal trains. Access to stations was controlled and profits are to go to station funds to help on improving the facilities available such as in Bridgnorth where work will start very soon on the new buffet as stage one of the rebuilding.

Certainly there are things we would all have liked to have gone better, but operationally it seemed to run well and we did not have the trespass we were concerned about, perhaps through the lineside patrols at all key crossings. It was amazing that all those teams, the crews, guards, stations, signal boxes etc were all connected by radios, no mean feet in the valley at times. 

Now will come the debrief to learn the lessons of what went well and what could have gone better. There are of course those who no matter what is said to explain the circumstances feel let down the Autumn Steam Gala was missing this year. It will be back next year and many of us are looking forward to that normality. We have all gone home very tired, but having met lots and lots of new visitors who lived far and wide, but whom had not previously visited.

If you came, I hope you enjoyed it and we all look forward to seeing you later this year or at one of next years events http://www.svr.co.uk/pdf/Brochures/SVR%20Timetable%202017%20(Preview).pdf

• Like 2

I took my boys and in-laws on Saturday. We had the freedom of the lines tickets (after failing to get tickets behind Tornado & FS) , but in many ways I think the Freedom tickets where the better tickets. Got to see Tornado & FS up close and in motion and got to stand on the footplate of Tornado. Bridgenorth station was very busy but other than that, everywhere else was just pleasantly busy.

It was great to see so many people enjoying themselves. Loads of spectators in fields along the line. SVR volunteers everywhere, all smiling and very helpful.

I'd like to say a big thank you to all involved in planning and running the event. We had a cracking time!

post-17057-0-97417400-1474919086_thumb.jpeg

post-17057-0-18734500-1474919120_thumb.jpeg

post-17057-0-61816700-1474919152_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I will pass back your thanks. An interesting statistic on the event. A four day autumn gala normally carries about 7500 passengers not including shareholders and working members. Over the six days of the event we carried about 15,000 passengers, many of whom were new to the railway and we hope to see them again.

So thanks again if you came to visit us and we look forward to seeing you for a normal Gala next year.

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed yourself. .......................................

If you came, I hope you enjoyed it and we all look forward to seeing you later this year or at one of next years events http://www.svr.co.uk/pdf/Brochures/SVR%20Timetable%202017%20(Preview).pdf

We came,

We saw,

We rode,

We enjoyed !

As a party of seven (including 6yrs old twins), with event tickets, we arrived in two cars at Bewdley where one of the two friendly ladies at the car park entrance trotted off to find us parking spaces, which were appreciated by three of our party who had 'additional needs' - albeit the ladies remained unaware of their 'needs'.

We too availed ourselves of the pig roast, provided by a pub down the lane from Arley.

For us, as visitors (who haven't been to the SVR for  about ......a month !) there were no downsides.

As someone who does preserved lines, but usually avoids gala events,thanks to you and and your colleagues for a great time.

Only downside was all of my own making.........saw several items that caught my eye in the "Erlestoke Manor " sales coach

"Don't want to lug these around all day, I'll get them on the way back"

Yep, you guessed, we had such a good time and got back so late, they'd closed up.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 3

When i found out that the Flying Scotsman was visiting SVR i made it a personal goal to obtain some tickets,I had not been to SVR since i was a small child in fact still in a pushchair and what a way to relive childhood memories than to see this wonderful machine.

As previously stated the booking of the tickets could have been a bit better organised but i am sure lessons have been learnt for any possible future events. I was one of the lucky ones to get some tickets, though i nearly gave up having been at the PC since 6am that morning and over 200 phone calls. I left my PC on and went out for a bit to return just at the right time as the website come back online and i was quick enough to get some tickets.

I have to praise the staff and volunteers of the SVR for organising such a huge event. As we thought the parking would be very limited and Kidderminster possibly grid locked at times we took the wise choice to catch the train. We arrive around 12 noon on the saturday even though our ride wasnt until 5.45pm. Me and my dad had already worked out a set of possible locations to view and photo the engines. So once we arrived we made our way down to the canal to take some test shots of the viaduct and see if they would be good for the FS. We then made our to way to the industrial estate off stourport road but viewing was restricted by the lineside fence. I then moved to the bridge over the stourport road while my dad returned to the viaduct so we could get a collection of different shots. It was nice to see that SVR and local authorities had stopped vehicles parking on the main roads and bridges. I was surprised that the bridge wasnt as busy as what i thought it would be with less than 20 people on it. After the FS come through around 1.20pm i made my way back to the canal then onto the station to get some photos before it departed back to Bridgenorth.

When it was finally time for train the staff of SVR where very professional and helpful and once on the train lead us a table suitable for the number of people in our party.

Thanks once again to SVR for such a great day out.

Edited by gareth

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the feedback and comments, which I will pass back.

Yes lessons have been learned and are being taken away from the event. When we heard that not only did 15,000 ride, but an additional estimated 30,000 came just to watch it really makes the whole thing worthwhile. Several local charities / air ambulance has benefited from some of the parking in fields along the railway.

Apparently the last time a 9 coach Gresley set ran was on the Gresley Society’s special train on 2nd May 1964. This was the last day on which any BR-era express train was formed entirely with Gresley’s magnificent teak carriages, albeit by then in BR maroon livery. This is by happy chance the same number as the restored full set of nine Gresley teaks now owned by the SVR Charitable Trust for operation on the SVR and used with 60103 and 60163 for the Pacific Power event.

• Like 1

The cameras and microphones that adorned FS over the 5 days are for a program to be shown on BBC4 around Christmas time. It is a 1hour realtime journey from Bridgnorth to Kidderminster with FS. No commentary. Just the sights and sounds and general noise from the train and footplate crew. Very similar to the canal journey and Yorkshire bus another production company did for BBC4.

• Like 1

While I am really pleased that the SVR has made a huge pile of money from Pacific Power, this level of thrill-seeking hero-worship frankly leaves me cold.

I'm looking forward to the End of Season Gala with the crab and 2-8-0 tank.

• Like 1

The cameras and microphones that adorned FS over the 5 days are for a program to be shown on BBC4 around Christmas time. It is a 1hour realtime journey from Bridgnorth to Kidderminster with FS. No commentary. Just the sights and sounds and general noise from the train and footplate crew. Very similar to the canal journey and Yorkshire bus another production company did for BBC4.

Thanks for that will keep an eye out for it

While I am really pleased that the SVR has made a huge pile of money from Pacific Power, this level of thrill-seeking hero-worship frankly leaves me cold.

I'm looking forward to the End of Season Gala with the crab and 2-8-0 tank.

Such is the diverse interest in the hobby there is a need for all kinds of events. If the SVR made a load of money from Pacific Power then it was a worthwhile event. After all preserved railways need any money they can get. In fact the end of season gala is an extra event as a replacement for the usual Autumn gala. If they get a good return from that event too then 2016 will prove to be a profitable year. It may help to build up a war chest in the bank account for future repairs or developments. Every penny helps keep our railways running.

No. I am not decrying their efforts to raise funds one bit. The gamble (if gamble it was) paid off. A lot of people were made happy on their visits, and some may even return on non-spectacular days and absorb the country-branch-line atmosphere in all it's understated glory. And those with a more subtle palate have the joy of a future more secure.

Win-win. I salute the management!!

No. I am not decrying their efforts to raise funds one bit. The gamble (if gamble it was) paid off. A lot of people were made happy on their visits, and some may even return on non-spectacular days and absorb the country-branch-line atmosphere in all it's understated glory. And those with a more subtle palate have the joy of a future more secure.

Win-win. I salute the management!!

I must admit I did not go to the event either - but I am not one for big crowds either. Nor will I go to the end of season gala. I will be there on a normal operating day during the October half term because I enjoy the railway like that. But credit to them for seemingly handling a large and different event very well.

• RMweb Premium

The funny thing was there were no big crowds. As many of the people travelled on the Scotsman / Tornado train they got on board at Kidder, went to Bridgnorth and then as the train turned round fairly quickly stayed on board.

Its fair to say there were mixed views before the event, but it will help. When you put into context work needed on the following Bridgnorth bypass bridge, Olbury viaduct, Borle viaduct, Wribbenhall viaduct, Sandbourne viaduct - all of those are just routine maintenance. There are at least two stretches for relaying this winter so really it just helps us to keep up.

The end of season with the Crab will be good. Despite what has been written it has visited before and was amazing having had the prividge of firing it.

Meanwhile, Pacific Power may be over, but the work for Santa has just begun with the coaches going in today.

• RMweb Gold

An interesting set of perspectives.

Many non railway friends were surprised when I said I would not be going to this event. Whilst Scotsman is an iconic loco its latest restoration - whilst in no way to be belittled in itself - is perhaps in some ways less worthy of merit than the building of Tornado.

So for me if there is a really significant event over the weekend then for me its the carriages, which too often are neglected in terms of publicity - and both an A1 and an A3 have been seen many times since 1964 - but not a 9 coach Gresley teak rake.

The SVR Charitable Trust and the LNER (SVR) Coach Fund deserve hearty congratulations thanks and support....

Phil

• Like 3

I didn't and don't perceive such an event to be 'hero worship' - more an expression of interest, and, for many, a chance to see what others have dubbed 'the worlds most famous train' .

PS

From my O.P. - I don't do gala events, but acknowledge that others do.

Edited by br2975

I have to admit that I was annoyed when the September Steam Gala was effectively cancelled, this being a highlight of my year, but on reflection I would congratulate the SVR for, firstly, attracting a huge number of visitors, some of whom will certainly visit again and may even have been bitten by the railway 'bug', and secondly for making some money to make the railway's future more secure. I will visit for the end of season Gala; Hopefully, given the time of year, steam heating will be in use, adding even more to the historic railway atmosphere ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have to admit that I was annoyed when the September Steam Gala was effectively cancelled, this being a highlight of my year, but on reflection I would congratulate the SVR for, firstly, attracting a huge number of visitors, some of whom will certainly visit again and may even have been bitten by the railway 'bug', and secondly for making some money to make the railway's future more secure. I will visit for the end of season Gala; Hopefully, given the time of year, steam heating will be in use, adding even more to the historic railway atmosphere ?

Steam Heating is from 1 October so yes it will be in use. I know from Board meetings the GM has clearly said we will be back to our normal autumn steam gala in September.