Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

Slightly off track, but how about the Llangollen line? I heard there was no steam at their recent Transport Gala. Fire risk?

Was there today Larry. Cl37 on. Fire brigade have put an order on them. Considerable signs of lineside fires near Corwen.

Felt like the 37 stalled after Berwen on the way back, but was in full working order as it sat under the bridge polluting the atmosphere at the end of the run.

Let's face it, until the current weather breaks, it's the only sociably responsible thing to do - who wants heritage steam power in the news for all the wrong reasons!?

Exactly. With the recent criticism of wood-burning stoves & open fires as a cause of air pollution, & the phasing out of coal-burning power stations, how long is it going to be before the Green movement turn their attention to heritage railways? In fact I think one of Ms Grobs' arguments against the extension of the L&B south to Blackmore was the potential air pollution caused by steam locos. (She may have included fire-risk too - I can't remember).

Martin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just seen 7819 'Hinton Manor' clad with charitable trust banners head north on the M5 at Cam on my way down to Dorset - anyone know what's going to happen to it?

All I know is that it is heading home and will go on display at Kidderminster Station over the Bank Holiday weekend. I guess you probably know that already. I wonder if  display in the Engine House is likely.

All I know is that it is heading home and will go on display at Kidderminster Station over the Bank Holiday weekend. I guess you probably know that already. I wonder if  display in the Engine House is likely.

Yes I knew it was coming back at some stage, but didn't know exactly when, or where it would go once it had arrived. Not sure if it'll go in the Engine House, but I suppose as two large engines (45110 and 48773) have been taken out and two small engines (5764 and 4566) put in then there might be a bit of space.

7819 would fit quite nicely in my back garden if they want to find a home for it...wouldn't get it out again but never mind.... :sungum: 

Wonder Hinton 'fits' in the pecking order for an overhaul...quite a way down the list one would presume, although another Manor, preferably 'Black' would be nice...

Regards all..

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The priority is getting the engines already in bits finished. 75069 has been having its boiler steam tests this week after which it will be on the home straight. After that 2968 is progressing with a section of frame having been replaced as many will know. Following on behind that is 4030, the tender frames are just about done by the Apprentices and there is a new tender top ready. Meanwhile the boiler has gone away to be worked on and new cylinders are now ready and on a flat bed in the yard. 7812 is at Tylsey being worked on, whilst the boiler for 4150 is now at Bridgnorth from memory to go into the boiler shop. Fingers crossed in a couple of years we will have a few new engines. 

Warwickshire has new cylinders and is making steady progress, meanwhile Dunrobin, I am not sure on the current position.

As for what is next will be determined by the Holdings board. 

Best wishes

Duncan

Edited by Blandford1969
  • Like 1

Hi....

Just a few images from Sunday last, when I was 'distracted', whilst 'pottering' in the gardens at Arley....

post-20610-0-75545300-1534885147_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-05108700-1534885301_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-48676700-1534885338_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-22533100-1534885387_thumb.jpg

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 16

Hi.....

Despite the 'very soggy' start to the day....and the station quite quiet as you would expect being 'out in the sticks', save for the hardiest of souls and walkers, the passenger loadings appeared oaky and we managed to undertake a number of worthy tasks at Arley today..aso managed to 'snap' some of the passing loco's....

Didn't notice the camera setting on this one, but turned out okay despite the oversight....

post-20610-0-03632000-1535313571_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-99927600-1535313694_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-63906500-1535313638_thumb.jpg

Hope you don't mind the indulgence too but here are some of the gardens we look after too, for you to look through and hopefully 'enjoy'...?

post-20610-0-49592400-1535313824_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-63466400-1535313929_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-99955800-1535313997_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-11382300-1535314051_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-96832100-1535314111_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-47329600-1535314187_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-14810000-1535314283_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-87565800-1535314353_thumb.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 18

• 2 weeks later...

The first of two trips to the SVR over today and tomorrow... started off at Bridgnorth this time. Focused on the recently arrived Class 40 and our first Gala visitor... 70000 Britannia!! :)

06th and 07th September 2018 - Kidderminster - Bridgnorth

30645220868_0d6418f515_b.jpg

If I was a volunteer at Bridgnorth I think I might have been rather annoyed by the generous clouds of dense, black smoke drifting over the whole station from that boiler on the warwell parked right by the platform! Couldn't it have been shunted into the siding at Eardington and tested there, where it could smoke out a few squirrels? Edited by locoholic

If I was a volunteer at Bridgnorth I think I might have been rather annoyed by the generous clouds of dense, black smoke drifting over the whole station from that boiler on the warwell parked right by the platform! Couldn't it have been shunted into the siding at Eardington and tested there, where it could smoke out a few squirrels?

Well I didn't see any volunteers having a moan about 75069's boiler being steam tested on MPD and no visitors around me whilst I was photographing GWR 813 seemed to have a problem with me either...

Maybe if you gave Bridgnorth Loco Works a donation to do this then I'm sure they'd be happily to oblige ;)

Edited by Garethp8873

If I was a volunteer at Bridgnorth I think I might have been rather annoyed by the generous clouds of dense, black smoke drifting over the whole station from that boiler on the warwell parked right by the platform! Couldn't it have been shunted into the siding at Eardington and tested there, where it could smoke out a few squirrels?

I would be rather surprised if that was in gauge to travel to Eardington, to be honest; never mind it being quite hard to find gaps in the timetable to shunt the siding on running days.

• RMweb Premium

Quiet the opposite, after the time waiting for it to be completed it was really satisfying for us all to see it being tested. I should add due to the length of the test being somewhere else, is probably less secure and would be harder for the paid staff responsible to keep an eye on it. 

Why would you move the boiler to Eardington for testing when all the staff responsible are based 2.5 miles away? It is no different to when a loco has been lit up from cold.

As a rule locos are lit up long before Bridgnorth station is busy with passengers, so that's a bit different. And since the photo was posted on here on the Thursday and I visited on the Friday, the boiler had been smoking out the station for at least two solid days!

I fully appreciate that boilers need to be tested, but someone in the Loco Works should be aware that parking a boiler on test right next to the station footbridge is the very worst place to put it. Even down the yard headshunt a bit would have been better. The railway is spending millions on nice new buildings at that end of Bridgnorth station. Punters aren't going to want to hang around to spend money whilst engulfed in the mucky smoke that comes from an undraughted fire in a boiler on test, and the railway does rely on visitors.