Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

The person who did the cad work for 4930's, had offered some months ago to do the new ones for 02. I seem to remember that it has been said though that 12 will be finished before work starts on 02.  

Many thanks - confirmed by website, good to see progress on Erlestoke.... https://www.erlestokemanorfund.co.uk/december-2019-update/

I find that looking at restoration websites helps significantly with modelling....the best way to understand fine detail and to relate form to function....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

With Hagley Hall currently under major restoration which is one of the company's engines it is unlikely another company engine would be done for some time. Gordon is a marmite engine. It was and is known as the BBBB I will leave it to your imagination to fill in the words. 

My wife and I did a Bridgnorth - Bewdley & return trip with 7714 on the 30th - some 20 years after my last visit, and my good lady's first. She was impressed by the railway, so we will return :)

As an aside, we travelled in a coach which has been converted for wheelchair access. What a superb piece of work it is. As we have a close family member who is wheelchair-bound, such things are always noted by us on our travels. To say that we were impressed by the facilities now offered because of this conversion is probably an understatement - this is something that other lines should aspire to, although we appreciate that such things are not cheap to do. Well done to those involved.

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

With Hagley Hall currently under major restoration which is one of the company's engines it is unlikely another company engine would be done for some time. Gordon is a marmite engine. It was and is known as the BBBB I will leave it to your imagination to fill in the words. 

Yes the funding for restoration of company owned locos has to compete with so much else. 45110 hopefully the next one - both it and 48773 are such historically significant locos, not just another member of 7 - 800 strong classes. From what I remember Gordon was always having boiler and firebox problems - remember perching on top of his boiler back in the 80s tightening up nuts on the regulator, seemed a long way down!

• Like 1

Hi.....

Thought you'd like to see the results of Mondays 'shuffle' of wagons into No1 siding at Arley, following the departure to 'Bridgy' of the Grotto coaches.....

104_5704_edited.jpg.b71dd4b33c4b7c8a5551181c00129312.jpg104_5699_edited.jpg.a78e79e2526238388ae3b1021bb94229.jpg

104_5697_edited.jpg.5ae2907317e0c861c8b359183f00783c.jpg104_5696_edited.jpg.23e0aa28df055caa246895e5e16563dd.jpg

104_5698.JPG.7e9b5ba6abe2ad453bb6d8c8f93d99b0.JPG104_5694_edited.jpg.869199e0d3ff5a85d7b72a591d211034.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 7

23 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

'BBBB'..?

Answers on a postcard  please!

Bob

2 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

Ask any passing Driver or link 2 fireman who has been around long enough to have it and you will get the answer.... lol 

Please let me know next time you're passing through Arley!

Bob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As many will know the line south of Bewdley is shut till April for repairs to Falling Sands project, which is supported by the Heritage Lottery fund. There was a nice piece on the news in the week on the BBC and its pleasing to note that at present with the kind weather the repair is 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Lets hope this progress continues. 

BBC News item on progress on restoration

Duncan

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

As many will know the line south of Bewdley is shut till April for repairs to Falling Sands project, which is supported by the Heritage Lottery fund. There was a nice piece on the news in the week on the BBC and its pleasing to note that at present with the kind weather the repair is 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Lets hope this progress continues. 

BBC News item on progress on restoration

Duncan

Not knowing about this at the time, I dropped by at Kidderminster a fortnight ago. They seem to be taking the opportunity to do a lot of work in the station (trackwork) as well. Loads of volunteers there and in the café round the corner. I had to go elsewhere for breakfast.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Not knowing about this at the time, I dropped by at Kidderminster a fortnight ago. They seem to be taking the opportunity to do a lot of work in the station (trackwork) as well. Loads of volunteers there and in the café round the corner. I had to go elsewhere for breakfast.

Yes, the closed season always sees lots going on and catching up. 

We've visited the SVR in April for years but the 2019 autumn steam gala was so good, we'll probably shift to September.  The viaduct should definitely be done by then!  Ugliest part of the route, though, with a car scrapyard on one side and a load of spectacularly unimaginative new houses on the other. 

50 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

We've visited the SVR in April for years but the 2019 autumn steam gala was so good, we'll probably shift to September.  The viaduct should definitely be done by then!  Ugliest part of the route, though, with a car scrapyard on one side and a load of spectacularly unimaginative new houses on the other. 

The owner of the scrapyard will have located there for a reason. But in my opinion steam trains running through an industrial area is evocative of many urban lines which would have seen just that until the early 1960s, such as the mills which surround lines around Manchester.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, SVRlad said:

The owner of the scrapyard will have located there for a reason. But in my opinion steam trains running through an industrial area is evocative of many urban lines which would have seen just that until the early 1960s, such as the mills which surround lines around Manchester.

The Severn Valley's main traffic was industrial - coal! The current bucolic railway belies the industrial infrastructure that had, and did still exist, when the railway was a going concern.....

https://www.svrwiki.com/Alveley_Sidings

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Fantastic! SVR has some of the most appropriate coaches for Saint haulage - should be as near an accurate representation of early to mid 20th century GW Saint hauled train as we can get in this day and age....

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

This is marvellous news! I was expecting the Saint to be a potential Autumn Gala visitor but to be a Spring Gala visitor is even better! She'll look glamorous with our GWR Toplight stock and even our goods stock should she be put on goods duties over the Gala as well. I wonder if she'll do any photographic charters too...

48638511547_e62e713d3e_b.jpg

• Like 8