Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

Hi 

Strange isn't it, that you don't notice something until you actually 'see' something in a different way as here as an image....I now can see that the front profile of '2207' as drawn here, is way off centre in relation to the frame, so have corrected it to make it central, personally  happier now...! :D

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, BobM said:

Thought this may lighten the mood....

As I cannot get to Arley ( missing terribly not only the station, but so much the 'family' aspect of volunteering and just the atmosphere of my second home), thought whilst although I am still at work through the day (as we cannot look after the horticultural nursery stock plants from home) to fill the solitary confinement hours during the evenings, when I cannot tend the back garden....I'd bring the station to me a try a pencil drawing of the station from the bridge, here's what the 'doodle' looks like now....a bit dark and cropped of its full size though,

A work in progress, still a way to go yet until I'm happy with the result...

Hope its raises a smile!

Take care my dear friends, keep safe....

Regards always

Bob

IMG_0037_(2).JPG.fbf796a63fb84415c78e788567827617.JPG

Lovely picture Bob, 

Your post hits a something which is being experienced by many of that social context. If you did go to the station at the moment, I suspect you would find it very odd. 

I take my daily exercise with the dog down to Bridgnorth each day as one of those doing a security check and to see the site without cars, noise, movement or engines is both odd and very sad. In doing so sometimes you see odd members of staff who are still working (at a safe distance) and the story is the same. 

We have to hope that the generosity shown continues.

Fight Back Fund!

An important update from the three companies in the Severn Valley Railway Group - Severn Valley Railway Co Ltd., Severn Valley Railway (Holdings) PLC. and Severn Valley Railway Charitable Trust Ltd.

Please help us - we need your support - donate now!

Thanks to an astounding response to our Emergency Appeal, the short-term future of the Severn Valley Railway has been secured. We’ve received £416,193 in donations and share purchases, enough to keep us going on a ‘care and maintenance’ basis. We are deeply grateful to every single person who has come to the rescue, to take away the immediate threat to the Railway’s future. It has emerged that any hope for a May or June re-opening for the SVR is unrealistic. And, remember that when the coronavirus emergency hit us, we were already reeling from a 75% drop in passenger numbers because of the February floods.

What has become clear is that we face a longer-term and more serious threat than we could have envisaged. The devastating loss of income to the SVR while it remains closed during our peak running season means we won’t be able to make our crucial annual investment into the Railway.  This amounts to £4.5million, and funds essential restorations to our infrastructure and rolling stock, along with apprentice training and a desperately needed overhaul of our IT infrastructure which is creaking at the seams.

Even when we are eventually able to re-open, it’s likely that we will have fewer passengers, with people reluctant to take part in social activities. It may be that we won’t see a return to sustainable levels of passenger revenue until well into next year.

The future for the SVR seems bleak indeed. But we are not going to give up the fight. Instead, with our ‘Fight Back Fund’, we will continue to fundraise for the SVR’s recovery both during the current crisis and in the tough months that will follow the lifting of restrictions. We are actively seeking further donations to this fund because fighting back is what we’re known for. Our pioneering preservationists did it when they brought the line back from ruin in the late 1960s; we managed it following the devastation of the storms in 2007; and with your help now, we’ll do it again.

We’ve never needed your support more than we do now. Please donate to the SVR’s ‘Fight Back Fund’ or buy shares. 

Frequently Asked Questions

How to donate:

Through our website using a credit or debit card, click here.

Phone 01562 757902 to make a phone donation

Make a bank transfer to SVR (Holdings) Plc Sort code 40-26-08, Acc No 01330608 (please let us know you have made a bank transfer by phoning 01562 757902 or email contact@svrlive.com)

Send a cheque made payable to SVR (Holdings) Plc to SVR, One Comberton Place, Kidderminster, DY10 1QR (please include your name and address).

Other immediate support:

To purchase SVR Shares, please download the application form here: svr.co.uk/shares

Loyalty Passes can be bought through the website - click here for details.

Please help us - we need your urgent and generous support - donate now!

Please keep safe and well, and take comfort in the thought that together we will make sure this wonderful heritage railway will be back in service in the future.  

Thank you for your support in our time of need,

Nick Paul CBE, Chairman  

Lets all hope we get to do something more practical by the end of the summer. 

Best wishes

Duncan

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, BobM said:

Hi 

Strange isn't it, that you don't notice something until you actually 'see' something in a different way as here as an image....I now can see that the front profile of '2207' as drawn here, is way off centre in relation to the frame, so have corrected it to make it central, personally  happier now...! :D

Regards

Bob

That'll be Mrs Fred with the token Bob.... 

Very atmospheric .....

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

That'll be Mrs Fred with the token Bob.... 

Very atmospheric .....

Hi Phil

Yes it is Mrs Jones , the doodle is from the BR publicity shot taken if 1959...it is indeed so atmospheric of the station I so dearly love, the railway and friends I am missing so badly at the moment and is just so evocative of the last days of steam.

More work still to be done on the drawing but at least doing this drawing is 'keeping me off the streets'!

Regards always

Bob

2109961055__58198606_arley_station_976(1).jpg.2722e81dfd86709cefb7987d981918a8.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, BobM said:

Hi Phil

Yes it is Mrs Jones , the doodle is from the BR publicity shot taken if 1959...it is indeed so atmospheric of the station I so dearly love, the railway and friends I am missing so badly at the moment and is just so evocative of the last days of steam.

More work still to be done on the drawing but at least doing this drawing is 'keeping me off the streets'!

Regards always

Bob

2109961055__58198606_arley_station_976(1).jpg.2722e81dfd86709cefb7987d981918a8.jpg

For someone personally involved this must feel awful Bob

Personally I was looking forwards to the 50th Celebrations - was on the first public train back in 1970 having hitch hiked from Ombersley - and several evening fish and chip scenic cruises.

Minor compared to the current overall situation - and also yours.

On railway matters - Is that an ROD tender behind 2207?

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, GWRswindon101 said:

That drawing/ sketch is absolutely magnificent! How long did it take you?

Thank you for your very kind comment....it's difficult to say really how long, as it's been spread over many evenings, but an hour or so generally each time, so perhaps 24 hrs so far in total, but sometimes just perhaps 10 mins here and there to tweak things as I see them and correct them, but a fair few hours for sure, and many further hours required.

Have done a little further work especially to 'centralise' the once off centre boiler..the station building, waiting room, SMO and roof will be next, then filling in the detail....so much to do!

Regards and thanks 

Bob

IMG_0047.JPG.dd469f93240212c0b4b21ce65c561474.JPG

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Something which looks strange about Arley is the distance of the signal box from the running lines.  I assume this is to give the "bobby" the best view of the station area rather than being near to the trains.  

On 26/04/2020 at 01:15, Covkid said:

Something which looks strange about Arley is the distance of the signal box from the running lines.  I assume this is to give the "bobby" the best view of the station area rather than being near to the trains.  

Thought this may be useful....although I have no knowledge of signalling I have been fortunate enough to be allowed into the box at Arley many times and the the view from its central position does afford good views of the approaches on the gentle curve on which the station is situated....

IMG_0071.JPG.54638474655463648efe510a1113269d.JPG

Regards always

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Easiest for the Bobby when trains cross if the northbound arrives first with time to get the token in to the machine and get new one for Bewdley section out before southbound arrives?

Then can be a straight exchange with southbound , back in to box to get token in to machine and new Highley section token out followed by a walk over to the northbound .....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 18/04/2020 at 00:21, Blandford1969 said:

Fight Back Fund!

An important update from the three companies in the Severn Valley Railway Group - Severn Valley Railway Co Ltd., Severn Valley Railway (Holdings) PLC. and Severn Valley Railway Charitable Trust Ltd.

Please help us - we need your support - donate now!

A similar letter is published on the WSR website and probably a lot of other lines also.  Obviously it is a troubling situation for the companies and their supporters but there are not a lot of answers.  Presumably most of the financial support comes from the enthusiast who hopefully will be generous but who cannot be expected to support many other railways in trouble.  The big question is what happens to the infrastructure and stock?  It can't be left to deteriorate; rails are already rusting and although there is basic maintenance, it can't be easily covered, especially on the longer lines.  How long before the carriage glass gets broken or graffiti appears or worse?  Perhaps its time for local businesses and authorities to come to the fore as usually there are the ones who benefit form the railways presence!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

From the footplate perspective if the box was closer in the bobby would not be able to see the train at the Down home. As it stands they bring you just about to a total stand before pulling off as there is no track circuit down there. In the Up direction you can't see the box from the home as it is just round the corner. 

It tends to be the down trains arrive before up trains. 

In terms of our appeal, every engine that can be under cover is. We had two sets of coaches out with the others in the carriage shed at Kidderminster and therefore as much as can is protected. 

The rails may be rusty, however we normally have 2 or three months in the year where trains are not running. 

As for security that has been thought of, although you will understand that will not be posted on any public forum.

We all heartily appreciate every penny that is given. Its also true I certainly hope other railways will be getting support for their appeals too. No one wants anyone to cease trading. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

For all you guys that like myself love the environment which is uniquely Arley, here's just a (self indulgent) update on 'the doodle',,,,,,further detail to incorporate just yet but advancing hopefully, keeping Arley in my minds eye....

Keep safe guys

Regards always

Bob

IMG_0064_(4).JPG.177534e76ff38a78eecb41154c8b905c.JPG

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 3 weeks later...

SVR may be the first (?) to announce a target reopening date -- 1st August, per supporters' newsletter. Bravo to them for showing some urgency and pushing to get things moving, and doing it in a responsible way with plans for the safety of staff and visitors.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys.....

Great to hear and smell that the SVR back in action whilst at Arley......pre-booked loadings looked good and all the social distancing requirements were being observed onboard....

2857, 75069 and 7714 all in operation today...

after an enforced break where we as volunteers were not allowed to visit the station, the whole place did look regrettably and inevitably a bit 'shabby' on our return but after about 6 weeks hard slog,  Arley has got its 'Mojo' back !

IMG_0006.JPG.31b9b229f54f5ec1c1ebee48bf1e53dd.JPG IMG_0007.JPG.37863b858828f27c68321617e5e956da.JPG IMG_0008.JPG.77e74c6a98aab86a7e0847ab55f8d95b.JPG IMG_0009.JPG.4909483e4526e1e70d68259ed0b601e8.JPG IMG_0010.JPG.603c8a69e4d064d5a14c532d9d6c6cbc.JPG IMG_0011.JPG.33dd5834bcd62e076ea1141689b9282b.JPG IMG_0015.JPG.0258757cdbb3218291fb7e8aee12bd0f.JPG IMG_0016.JPG.728e028f1a7e01f133f73e7f1a6e4617.JPG 

IMG_0017.JPG.db5db904810a0240a6eeea6e88baf7db.JPG IMG_0018.JPG.4713641c52c79c5c4478424a89746c0f.JPG

Regards always, stay safe folks....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Arley is a such a lovely station, and so well kept by dedicated volunteers. I have missed out on taking my. Grandchildren for picnics in the garden this year which is sad. I do have a compartment on a train booked for us on Tuesday so I’m looking forward to a nice and safe day out.

Although trains won’t be stopping at Arley are the grounds open?

• Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Chris M said:

Arley is a such a lovely station, and so well kept by dedicated volunteers. I have missed out on taking my. Grandchildren for picnics in the garden this year which is sad. I do have a compartment on a train booked for us on Tuesday so I’m looking forward to a nice and safe day out.

Although trains won’t be stopping at Arley are the grounds open?

Hi....

Sadly at this time, no the SVR is having to keep the intermediate stations closed to visitors at the moment, but you can crtainly view from the road bridge, Arley is my second home,  been a volunteer there since 2003

Regards 

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, BobM said:

Hi....

Sadly at this time, no the SVR is having to keep the intermediate stations closed to visitors at the moment, but you can crtainly view from the road bridge, Arley is my second home,  been a volunteer there since 2003

Regards 

Bob

The hydrangeas are looking great Bob, well done!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, MrSimon said:

The hydrangeas are looking great Bob, well done!

Hi

Thank you for your kind comments.....

It was fortunate that a week prior to the national lockdown and the start of the period when we as volunteers were requested not to attend, I had an inkling that such an instruction may be issued, so decided to take the risk and bring forward the pruning regime a few weeks and do it that last weekend, so cut them right back as usual (H.panniculata varieties have to be pruned hard unlike macrophylla) but they had to miss out on their corresponding feed of osmocote and fish/blood/bone which I do at the same time. If not pruned then it would have been in the end 14 weeks until I saw them again.

Thankfully my great friend, fellow volunteer and resident in the station house watered them for me in my absence during that very prolonged, sunny and dry spell that corresponded with the nation lockdown otherwise they would have gone.....nearly 12 years old now some of them so it would have been heartbreaking to see them fail.

Thay have bounced back, although I can see that they are smaller flowered and less vigorous than normal due to the lack of feed, but hey they and we are still there!

IMG_0066.JPG.4d69c3f07177cb88b3aa960cd794756d.JPG IMG_0058.JPG.a0a751ba11f4d65a68ff8d2b8c1dbfe0.JPG IMG_0052.JPG.6816eda07d82c72c1a90b88e5e907d2e.JPG

Thanks again.....

Regards always

Bob

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1