Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

Have a feeling KE11 is top and tailing with 50031 for sake of rapid turnarounds

Which is spooky as Hood has just blown up in "Sink the Bismark" on the telly....

Phil

Yes, I heard that there was to be a Hoover on the back, but didn't know if it was to be dead-in-tow or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

For anyone who has visited I hope you have had a great time.

If you are visiting tomorrow please can I ask for caution if parking and walking around Eardington and Country Park, where there have sadly been incidents with people who claim to be enthusiasts who have damaged fences resulting in some horses getting out and abusing locals on public roads and highways.

I'm hoping it will not be too cold when I leave Bridgnorth tomorrow at 7 light engine for Kidder.

post-15533-0-80585100-1521322420_thumb.jpg

post-15533-0-76034000-1521322441_thumb.jpg

A couple of photos of mine from yesterday. It was nice to have a walk from Hampton Loade down to Country Park, as the trains were a bit crowded. The sun even shone for a while! Shame there's been some trouble.

I still can't come to terms with the stumpy chimney on 6023 - it makes it look a bit like a County.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the photos folks--I had an excellent day yesterday at the SVR gala. The swirling snow showers added to the drama! The 7F slogging up the bank through a snow storm was quite an experience, I was lucky enough to be in the leading coach with a vestibule window, looking out, the noise and the snow made it feel like I was going over Shap or Aisgill with a heavy freight in tow--superb stuff.

Well done to all the SVR folks for making it such a success. Seemed pretty busy at times, the King pulled in the punters, but overall it seemed to me to mainly families there enjoying themselves, which is great, rather than lots of gricers reliving their youth. A fair number of younger steam enthusiasts too, with WTTs working out their moves to maximise haulage--reminded me more of the kind of thing I see at diesel galas rather than at a steam gala. Perhaps they're the same chaps, who like a bit of both, and why not.

cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

I must admit I do that and I'm well in my 40s. :)

I think it's more that you want to go behind a specific loco (or locos) and it's normally not in the place you are. So you are juggling around trying to get on certain trains especially if there is any delays.

Or you are trying to get your moneys worth (especially if you're from Yorkshire/Scotland). ;)

Whereas the average family with kids are usually more interested in the big ticket engines or just want a nice day out.

Jason

• Like 1

I got back from spending the weekend at Bewdley as one of the owner's reps for Bellerophon, other than the fact it was rather cold we had a good weekend and the Bewdley staff were very welcoming. Everyone who was rostered on Bellerophon thoroughly enjoyed themselves and she certainly surprised people how competently she handled the three GWR Toplights. She will be staying until early May and has several more outings booked whilst on SVR metals.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

To those who came over the weekend I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did, despite the cold. Sunday am was a challenge getting points unfrozen. I had never driven down the valley with about 2 inches of snow on the railhead so that was a first. Amazing on how it slows you down even downhill.

With apologies to the faint hearted for the clag, here are a few shots from yesterday. I didn't think there was any clag showing so shut off momentarily when I saw the video taking enthusiasts just short of Eardington, there was a bit more than I expected considering we had a good hot fire bed.

https://www.facebook.com/steamvalleyproductions/videos/1016276168522887/?comment_id=10155412926816989&reply_comment_id=10155412940281989&notif_id=1521487335953207&notif_t=group_comment

Anyway enjoy the views and hope to see some of you on the Valley this year.

Duncan

• Like 6

Whilst I didn't get to go to the Spring Gala this weekend, I did make a visit today to Bewdley to see Bellerophon... an absolute beauty and I look forward to seeing more of her over the next two months whilst she's on her stay with us :)

40919565641_2a2e67edb5_b.jpg

• Like 9

Whilst I didn't get to go to the Spring Gala this weekend, I did make a visit today to Bewdley to see Bellerophon... an absolute beauty and I look forward to seeing more of her over the next two months whilst she's on her stay with us :)

40919565641_2a2e67edb5_b.jpg

I believe she's planned to be operating on Open House Weekend, which is the weekend after Easter.

• RMweb Premium

As many of you know the Charitable Trust was set up a few years ago to help to support and finance some of the bigger projects on the railway and our apprentices. They have worked very hard and with a small team have made great strides forwards in helping us to get funding on projects as well.

Sometimes late members have asked the Trust to dispose of items to them help support them.

One of these members Mike Parker or FUT to everyone who knew him asked his collection of basically mainly brand new Hornby, Bachman with the odd other make thrown in were sold with profits being split evenly between the Trust and his family. You may remember seeing us in the Shed at Bridgnorth last Open House weekend, or at Warley with 1450.

We will be having a further stall in the shed at Bridgnorth again on the weekend of Open House. Mike's models got enjoyed, but many came out of the box to be looked at once and then were put away again, never to come out.

So if you are coming over that weekend, stop by and say hello, have a browse and you never know what you might find.

• Like 1

Another morning spent over at Bewdley. Whilst the photo charter with BR Standard 80072 was going on, I spent some more time with Bellerophon. Also got to take a snap of the soon to be finished GWR Conflat Wagon 39860. Looking good... :) Starting to get back into the photographic momentum now as well...!! :)

22nd March 2018 - Bewdley

40913863992_1028275b7b_b.jpg

26083242247_8d45362d6e_b.jpg

39146593920_1fc7eb3bd8_b.jpg

39146596950_78fe7d6f07_b.jpg

40955657021_43c0ec7938_b.jpg

40913885452_2d1fc453c2_b.jpg

40913887252_f396c1a423_b.jpg

• Like 14

Another morning spent over at Bewdley. Whilst the photo charter with BR Standard 80072 was going on, I spent some more time with Bellerophon. Also got to take a snap of the soon to be finished GWR Conflat Wagon 39860. Looking good... :) Starting to get back into the photographic momentum now as well...!! :)

22nd March 2018 - Bewdley

40913863992_1028275b7b_b.jpg

26083242247_8d45362d6e_b.jpg39146596950_78fe7d6f07_b.jpg

1. {sighs} That Standard large tank engine is calling me to buy one.

2. That has to be the cleanest brake van I have ever seen - the roof is even white!

3. Love the 15xx. Would be great to see an RTR 00 gauge one. 

• RMweb Premium

1. {sighs} That Standard large tank engine is calling me to buy one.

2. That has to be the cleanest brake van I have ever seen - the roof is even white!

3. Love the 15xx. Would be great to see an RTR 00 gauge one. 

72 is not bad at all, showing signs of being 9 years into its ticket, but still a nice engine.

I don't know about ready to run, but Brassmasters are looking at a kit for a 15xx.

• Like 1

Saw '72' passing through Arley today whilst having a days gardening stint...looked and sounded good....wish my photo did it justice....nice to see though....

post-20610-0-18554700-1521753196_thumb.jpg

Regards always..
Bob

• Like 7

GWR 68501 received some minor repairs and a new paint job between October and November of last year before it took part in GWR 813's brake van special on the 25th November :)

• Like 1

GWR 68501 received some minor repairs and a new paint job between October and November of last year before it took part in GWR 813's brake van special on the 25th November :)

Makes me feel entirely justified looking at the unweathered examples on my layout haha...

Hi...

'72' looked and sounded splendid this evening....'The Valley' looked wonderful in the spring warm sunshine today too. there really can be no better way to spend one's free time volunteering on the SVR  is you're a steam enthusiast....

post-20610-0-19990900-1522007745_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-39135700-1522006637_thumb.jpg

Regards always..

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 8