Severn Valley Railway

steve fay

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Fantastic! SVR has some of the most appropriate coaches for Saint haulage - should be as near an accurate representation of early to mid 20th century GW Saint hauled train as we can get in this day and age....

I hope they do a photo charter - if they do, I might have to book myself on to it, as there are some locations along the line which are beginning to be captured in monochrome with the Saint and GW set. 

EDIT for some reason my post has come out twice!

Edited by SVRlad
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

This is marvellous news! I was expecting the Saint to be a potential Autumn Gala visitor but to be a Spring Gala visitor is even better! She'll look glamorous with our GWR Toplight stock and even our goods stock should she be put on goods duties over the Gala as well. I wonder if she'll do any photographic charters too...

48638511547_e62e713d3e_b.jpg

Given the 'blessing' of favourable sunny spring weather, she will undoubtedly look stunning whether running along the length of the line or standing in any of our stations, will look forward to seeing her sitting in Arley.

Regards to all

Bob

• Like 1

Not the most brilliant of images to start the 2020 seasons...but it was good to have traffic passing through Arley once more, a new season and new camera to get to get to grips with too, so hopefully will be able to post some images of the traffic through Arley (and of the local area) during the coming operational season...

Have a great season guys.....

A wet and steamy arrival for the first down....

IMG_0004.JPG.a3ab4a06f78817358438b3be24e7bd76.JPG

The Severn as you would expect wasn't in a 'good mood' today.....'treat me with respect' eh?

IMG_0022.JPG.23190ed0f9e7d825b12c4aa9264fb329.JPG IMG_0024.JPG.2a46c1b7ba01e34bf9573aef03bbe6f6.JPG IMG_0027.JPG.1a9a95844a8700f566e8973526425db3.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

And hopefully no recurrence of previous problems following torrential inundations....?

Hi....

All okay at present and operating normally... such amazing sights along the valley, cannot recall such widespread river flooding previously, the 'floodplains' doing their job....but your heart goes out to all those suffering from flood damage and the uncertainty at this time!

The Bewdley bridge was closed to even foot traffic, a shuttle bus using the by-pass to connect both sides of the town.

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

For those travelling to the railway 

The bridge at Bewdley is closed and will be for a few more days - a vintage bus was running today round the bypass to get to and from the town. The same will be happening

The Bridgnorth to Telford road is currently closed due to flooding, there are contrasting stories and I'm in no hurry to try going up there past the road closed signs suggesting the road surface is also damaged (which means it might get repaired properly) Every cloud has a silver lining. 

In other news

1501 is still undergoing its V&P

1450 has passed its insurance exam last Friday

2968 now has two slidebars, one of which had been optically aligned. These slide bars appear to be the original ones as the one has mounting holes for a vacuum pump 

2857 had its middle tender axle removed on Saturday morning as it needs some work doing. 

4930's cylinders are now properly in place

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

2968 now has two slidebars, one of which had been optically aligned. These slide bars appear to be the original ones as the one has mounting

Yes, we know - we've checked!

Thanks for the update on the Telford - Bridgnorth road. I wasn't going today anyway but hope it's open again next week.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Severn Valley Railway has taken the decision to suspend services, initially for the rest of March. 

The following has been issued this afternoon.

The safety and well-being of our volunteers, staff and customers is of the utmost importance.
Due to the changing situation regarding COVID 19 and Government advice surrounding gatherings, it is with regret we feel it is both necessary and sensible to postpone our train services for the rest of this month. We are monitoring the situation daily and following all Government guidelines. Customers who have purchased tickets or experience packages for March 21, 22, 28 and 29 are being contacted individually by phone today. An announcement regarding our services, experience packages and special events in April will be made following the SVR Holdings Board meeting tonight.

This is going to be a challenging time for the SVR as we all rely on footfall to keep us operating. Your understanding, patience, and co-operation during this difficult time is appreciated - thank you all in advance for your ongoing support.

We look forward to seeing you at the other side. At present the bars remain open, however this is subject to review as well. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks like SVR has now decided there will be no trains in May. Totally understandable - but what a shame this all wrecks the 50th Anniversary celebrations.

https://forum.svr-online.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4318&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Looks like SVR has now decided there will be no trains in May. Totally understandable - but what a shame this all wrecks the 50th Anniversary celebrations.

https://forum.svr-online.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4318&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Its not a decision which was taken lightly and we all really want to get back to running. I am sure the GM and team will have considered when they think it is likley the  lockdown will end. 

I am sure plans will be made for a big re-opening and like all railways we really want you to visit, enjoy your day and help us to get going again. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi

Bob here from Arley Station, missing everyone on the SVR terribly, in the meantime, keep safe

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Same with me - volunteer for the OTB primarily but also Bewdley platform and Bewdley MPD. Due to a busy schedule I had only managed two shifts since the end of November, so I’m really missing the SVR. 

This ongoing crisis gave me a question - if a preserved railway has a steam loco with a boiler certificate that expires at the end of 2020 (for example), will its certificate be extended by the time the railway was inactive? 4566 springs to mind, as IIRC the expiration date of its boiler certificate was delayed by a few months in 2017 due to the floods that devastated us in 2007. 

• RMweb Gold

The Valley has now cnacelled all services until the end of June according to the web site

https://www.svr.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?a=923

A huge challenge for all involved, especially those dependant directly and indirectly on the railway for their livelihood....

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

24 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

The Valley has now cnacelled all services until the end of June according to the web site

https://www.svr.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?a=923

A huge challenge for all involved, especially those dependant directly and indirectly on the railway for their livelihood....

Indeed, and the 1940s weekend has also been cancelled. A great shame when you consider how much organising goes into it, but it is the right decision. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Indeed, and the 1940s weekend has also been cancelled. A great shame when you consider how much organising goes into it, but it is the right decision. 

A 1940s weekend - perhaps all those who struggle to stay in might need a reminder, whilst we are suffering some hardship - we've not sent an army overseas to fight a war, our children have not been sent to the country to live with whoever will have them and at night we don't worry about the constant threat of an air raid.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1