1937 Coronation Scot

Kim

I am going to try to madel the 1937 Coronation Scot by heavily modifying mainly Airfix coaches. The "power" will be provided by a DJH model. I had thought to make the whole lot out of Comet/247 Developments parts but I want to try to keep the cost down.

Still at the research stage though the body shells to take the brass sides have been started. I have much of the info I need but I am a little stuck on the hot/cold units.

On the open coaches, these were placed where one set of luggage racks were with a vent to the outside. From the Skinley drawing and "The LMS Coach" I can "size" the vents. As yet I have not found any photos or drawings of wither of the brake coaches or the first corridor showing where they should be. Can anyone help?

Yhe vents ahould "scale" at 9mm x 5mm. The closest I can find is by using a roof etch for the Class 25 conversion kit. These would cut down to about 8.5 mm square and I can then mod then further. Does anyone know of anywhere I can get some etched vents?

Finally, Does anyknow if the toilet fillers were moved and if so to where? The ducting appears to be offset from the cetre line of the roof top with one edge on the middle but that is where the fillers should be.

Many thanks, Kim

• 11 months later...

I've been thinking of doing something similar but using Hornby Period 3 stock. For the kitchen coaches I thought of modifying two Period 3 full brakes. I know this will come as abhorrent to lovers of the LMS but only having the Hornby Coronation Loco 6220 I doubt if it would haul the Coronation train from Comet Models as they are brass and the loco is plastic. The power to weight ratio is out to blazes.

I have an unstreamlined loco drive Duchess and it is a pathetic puller. Rather it was as received, but with the ample volume of the body shell now stuffed with lead it pulls as it should. Very few larger RTR OO steam models are weighted properly for traction. Honourable exceptions are Bach's 9F and Hornby's Britannia and Clan, both of which pull as they should out of the box.

Hornby's black can motor has ample grunt to spin the wheels with a loco made up to at least 700g on the driven wheels. Good for circa 100g drawbar force in that condition which will handle any practical train you care to hang on the hook - whatever it is made from - provided the bearings are free running. (The most I have weighted an OO loco to is 800g, that was for an outdoor line with long gradients over which full size trains were operated. After over a decade of regular running it mangled the drive line when the geared axle slipped in an insulated wheel hub while under load.)

The current design loco's brass axle bearings and grease lubricated gears are fine with this treatment, you do have to regularly lubricate crankpins to avoid excessive wear as they are part of the drive line and dry out relatively fast. Twin bogie traction just goes on and on without attention thanks to ample grease all over the drive line components.

• 4 years later...

I am going to try to madel the 1937 Coronation Scot by heavily modifying mainly Airfix coaches. The "power" will be provided by a DJH model. I had thought to make the whole lot out of Comet/247 Developments parts but I want to try to keep the cost down.

Still at the research stage though the body shells to take the brass sides have been started. I have much of the info I need but I am a little stuck on the hot/cold units.

On the open coaches, these were placed where one set of luggage racks were with a vent to the outside. From the Skinley drawing and "The LMS Coach" I can "size" the vents. As yet I have not found any photos or drawings of wither of the brake coaches or the first corridor showing where they should be. Can anyone help?

Yhe vents ahould "scale" at 9mm x 5mm. The closest I can find is by using a roof etch for the Class 25 conversion kit. These would cut down to about 8.5 mm square and I can then mod then further. Does anyone know of anywhere I can get some etched vents?

Finally, Does anyknow if the toilet fillers were moved and if so to where? The ducting appears to be offset from the cetre line of the roof top with one edge on the middle but that is where the fillers should be.

Many thanks, Kim

Hi,

I am in the planning stage to build a rake of Coronation Scot Coaches. I am struggling to scale the vents. Did you find an answer to the questions you are asking here?

I have plenty of clues but they are somewhat inconclusive! Thanks in advance, James.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Phil,

Adding some notes on progress in case it is useful for anybody else on a similar quest!

I already had Jenkinson's historic carriages which has some photos and I have now ordered the volume 3 Jenkinson / Essery to validate the research I have done so far; I hope I got it right!

I am using plastruct c channel (c-8) for the single sided vent on corridor stock and laminating 4x0.5 mm formed styrene for the double sided vents on vestibule stock (incrementing from 13mm wide to 16mm wide to give the tapered effect that I see on photos). I am using the Comet aluminium roof for the forming. I have decided to build Comet bodies for the vestibule stock and fit to Hornby chassis. Just a repaint job and modification to roof for 1st corridor and 3rd brake. The kitchen car is brass overlay on a 100ft brake but, having tried it, I prefer to build the entire body rather than overlay. Rather than completely destroy a good quality body I'd rather build a new one!

The photographs I have seen, show the WC filler pipe detail reasonably well. The time trial movie and a couple of Getty images are particularly helpful. I have attached some work in progress which shows roof detail on the 3rd brake and 1st diner. I am using a Bachmann mk1 1st diner cassis for the 65ft diner (even though the model is only 63ft 6" so some etch was trimming required; 3mm each end).

I have tested the weight of the 4 coaches that I have constructed so far and my Hornby Duchess has no issues with pulling power. It is the latest streamliner from Hornby and I have renumbered and liveried the Crimson Lake Duchess of Hamilton to 6221 Queen Elizabeth in Coronation Blue using Phoenix Precision paint and Fox transfers / nameplate. I will be adding 2 x vestibule 3rd to make a rake of 6 (3 double vents, 2 single vents and the kitchen car with standard vents). My layout can't sensibly accommodate more than a 6 coach rake.

post-27113-0-10869800-1507825546_thumb.jpg

Thanks again, James.

Have you read the information on the Coronation coaches in LMS Standard Coaching Stock III? It is comprehensive in its coverage.

I have now read the content in LMS Standard Coaching Stock III. It is actually less useful for the 1937 stock than the Jenkinson's "Historic Carriage Drawings" which has photos of the open diner and 1st corridor. Useful addition in Coaching Stock volume III was the photo of the Kitchen Car and confirmation that it retained gas. The book titled LMS 150 also has some useful reference material. However, none of this material gives details of the vents. The most useful material I have found depicting details of the roof detail are photos in the Getty library and the youtube content "Speed Machines - Record Breaking Steam Trains (Engineering Documentary) - Spark". Thanks again, James.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on completed coaches. Kitchen Car, 1st Corridor and 3rd Brake. I agonised over roof colour (dirty grey or nearly new aluminium). In the end I have chosen a toned down aluminium. Currently working on 1st Diner with double sided vent. 

post-27113-0-54896000-1509977710.jpg

post-27113-0-79626300-1509977725.jpg

post-27113-0-11813600-1509977755.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived