The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Steve22, an interesting remark, I hadn't thought of it like that but you are quite right; no that isn't going, all the planned enhancements are on the further side. I think they will enhance that feeling of "space" by adding a greater sense of length.

Well, that is the intention.

• 2 weeks later...

post-3088-0-10843500-1426096888_thumb.jpg

I said the East Yard was to be improved and these three images show where I'm at. They are working images, not the finished article. I'd like to think they are self-explanatory, but if not please ask.

attachment=549804:DSCN4288-1.jpg]

I'm pleased with progress, It's shaping up well and will not only add to the operational aspects of Hintock as well as the scenic. It will be observed the open green area remains undisturbed.

post-3088-0-96715700-1426096936_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-63819000-1426096910_thumb.jpg

Andy. and other gentlemen, I do appreciate your interest and i'm also happy to say I'm pleased with the manner that the changes are evolving.

The operational aspect is that the new sidings give additional length and hence more room for wagons but more significant make better use of the space available. In turn their layout is more prototypical  in that they are fed from a length off the running lines. ( But not clearly seen in the images so far displayed. )And the clincher is that the scenic aspect here, at the RH end matches, and will when complete be on a par with  the recent changes at the LH. Both are, or will then be in balance.

Andy, you also referred to my photos and I'm glad you like them. With each I try to tell a story or make a (subtle) point and I can see you acknowledge that. I'm in no way interested in photography as such but I do like to produce a creditable result.

And as you remarked several posts ago none is complete without a photograph. here is one, a working photo not one for a magazine article. In it is a minor improvement-the opening up of the area in front of the HFTS warehouse. What it means is that wagons can now be unloaded/loaded on either side. A boon to their handling. It also adds a little more credibility to the scene.

post-3088-0-95829100-1426219233_thumb.jpg

As the Emoticons on Hintock lead an erratic existence I need to say "thanks" for your "likes" the old fashioned way-thank you.

The image in my last post was descriptive in many ways but the camera did me little justice with the sky scene,as it looks bizarre. It isn't really like that in normal circumstances and in many photographs it lis to my eyes at least, realistic enough. Maybe it does need some toning down and i shall get around to it one day.

Meantime, here is a better shot showing much of the previous scene. It also demonstrates how neatly the layout fits into the room. This, of course, was taken prior to the recent works. Here the sky is as I see it.

post-3088-0-12676600-1426339643_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Not sure why I "liked" that last shot John........it is far too tidy below stage and to make matters worse we have identical carpets.....if Doreen sees the shot I am in deep trouble.......no solder iron scars or spilled paint !

I have a question about the prior shot........I have always admired the natural lighting effect that you achieve.......a sunny day in Dorset.....usually late afternoon and the shadows all match up. I seem to remember that you used additional industrial lighting for photo shoots......is that still the case ?

Kind Regards from a very damp Vancouver

John, as you know the room in which I have Hintock is my office and there I do have a passion for tidiness, it too sets off Hintock better  but, believe you me, I do have a gloryhole /workshop also down here in my basement, and where my PRB is located and that's not always tidy. Though I can shut the door on it so it doesn't bother me until I need to find something!

Regarding photography post #805 does give a good indication of my lighting set up. I like plenty of light for operation and I get it from my CFL wall spotlights and the overhead florescent tubes. I use the highest lumens available. But it's not good enough for photography where a golden rule is to flood the subject with light.

To obtain it I have a network of wires above the layout, if you look carefully you can see them, and from these suspend aluminum reflectors in which I have 300w photofloods. In addition to highlight detail such as a locos motion, coach bogies etc I use a horizontal halogen work lights. Plus for lighting to avoid or add shadow a number of florescent lamps on stands. The reflectors are chicken lamps, used in poultry houses and the worklights from Walmart.. They do the job and I use them as the photographic gear used by experts  is inordinately expensive.

To set it all up is quite a game and I have cables snaking everywhere. So it's not something I do often.

I have some images to display I think you will be interested in of some coaching stock and where the detail, using these methods, is clear. I'll probably post those in course of the week.

Kind regards, from a warm and dry Utah.

Moving on from alterations and lumens now is the topic of coaches and recent stock changes between the Granby and Weymouth Operating Districts.

{attachment=552760:DSCN4291-4.jpg]

When the glory days of main line running in full fig were over for these magnificent coaches they went to the Granby District for use on secondary passenger services.After good service there and on the advent of the ubiquitous B Sets they were transferred to the Weymouth District for branch line use.

post-3088-0-53367800-1426769478_thumb.jpg

Now in their dotage, but still showing signs of their lineage they work the local passenger services between Weymouth and Hintock Redux. Here they are seen on the 4.37 pm from Weymouth running into Hintock. On the front is the "Grimbsy fish", a van attached at Hintock Junction having worked down during the day. Unloaded at the platform it will return empty for transit back on the LNER.

post-3088-0-88531800-1426769502_thumb.jpg

I did little to the coaches beyond a fairly serious but lightly applied weathering, painted the ends charcoal, the roofs graphite and the running boards and bogies a soft black. The corridor ends are blanked off and iI removed the Hornby bogies and added Bachmann that I prefer.

I'm very pleased with the results and I think they suit the ambience of Hintock well. Certainly more than the B Set ever did.

And PS, a right click will bring up the detail on the bogies and running gear very nicely. (Thanks, to my lumens.)  

post-3088-0-48861400-1426769450_thumb.jpg

The coaches look great John and the subtle weathering brings them up a treat. Very suitably cascaded down to lesser services and still offer a useful service for the residents of Hintock. Looks like fish and chips is on the menu tonight with the arrival of the fish van.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

Splendid "legend". You have done a great job with the coaches and they certainly look far more at home on Hintock than they ever did at Granby!

The Weymouth Operating District did an excellent job maintaining the B set. Minor adjustments to the height of the couplings was all that was required before they were running on the regular Granby-Cynwyd-Corwen service. The set they replaced cascaded down to the less onerous Granby-Chester service.........the set they replaced was retired to the local railway display case museum.

Kind regards

John

Again gentlemen, thanks for the " likes."

Andy: yes, definitely fresh fish and chips are on many a dinner plate at Hintock. As I said I'm very pleased with these two coaches in their rather worn finish. But it was with some trepidation I embarked on the weathering in the first instance. However, the finished result speaks for itself. In a pristine condition they would have looked out of place. Now they fit in perfectly with the rest of the Hintock scenario. That I know you appreciate.

John: I'm happy you approve, I can see, I think, the ex Hintock set in your before shot in post #224 and there they fit in so well with your Granby scenario. And I'm glad they needed little work upon them. Both the Granby and Weymouth Operating districts have benefited.

I thought you'd enjoy the legend I created. Again it's part and parcel of the overall credibility. There has to be a cogent reason "why".

post-3088-0-33594400-1426859614_thumb.jpg

Somehow yesterday two images appeared twice, I hope I've now got it right. (In my defence I might add that "my pictures" system is not yet back to its state prior to the computer calamity.)

PS. No, I see I still haven't got it right. More images will have to wait until a further photographic foray.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

Such beautiful work on those coaches and great to see the North Eastern represented. When the empty returns I think I might have to send some more down to Hintock via Granby I suspect!

Cheers

Tony

post-3088-0-31182500-1427467437_thumb.jpg

Thank you gentlemen for the "likes" and Tony in particular for your kind comments on the coaches: now, they look like what they are at Hintock; older vehicles, worn, a little weary and still performing useful work. They fit in with the scene which is what they wouldn't have done in their Christmas tree prior ornamentation.

You reference to the Grimsby fish brings much to mind the fascinating through workings of the railways of this period, here we have LNER and GWR in concert and via it might be surmised part of your empire, John's Granby and my Hintock. Probably all through Crewe. THis is the third working John and I share, the two others being the through coaches from Birkenhead  and the fruit and vegetable traffic from Hintock. They all add to the pleasure of operating.

AndyR: regarding your comment on Nick's MM thread about couplings and the model railway press, I suggest it doesn't get much, if any, coverage because the subject doesn't sell magazines. It seems to me it's a personal decision accepting they all work to a greater or lesser degree based on one's inclinations,skills and stock. I'll PM you about it.

post-3088-0-87563800-1427467501_thumb.jpg

As I have no fresh images of the clerestories you'll have to put up with these earlier ones of the B set.

Hi John -that's an interesting comment about the coupling articles. I would have thought that good information articles from modellers (like Nick) on their experiences in setting up the layout with magnets or whatever applies, the rolling stock and then operating.

I guess, like you, I cannot see the point of investing significant time and money into a layout without being able to have fun in operating movements something like the real thing, rather than a toy train. My reading of American mags shows they see this as a real big deal and the Model Railroader is full of operational articles.

Anyway, to each his own as you say.

regards Andy R

Andy, quite right  in all you say, I should have qualified that reference by referring to UK magazines. As you say in the USA operating is a very big deal indeed. And as it should be..with any layout.

That is the whole point, as I see it, and as I attempt to emphasize with regard to Hintock.

Andy, quite right  in all you say, I should have qualified that reference by referring to UK magazines. As you say in the USA operating is a very big deal indeed. And as it should be..with any layout.

That is the whole point, as I see it, and as I attempt to emphasize with regard to Hintock.

I agree John, and that's why 'roundy-roundy' layouts have limited interest for me -yes, it's nice to see a procession of different trains, but that's (up to a point) all you get. On Hintock you have not only passenger trains, but various sidings for different industries, giving the end reasons for the different traffic - much more interesting to operate (other points of view are available!). And I am still toying with the idea of reproducing your track plan (it fits the space I have exactly, but in mirror image).........

sp1, I'd be flattered by that and I'm sure Hintock could be scaled down quite successfully.

The trick with operating it and its appearance, is not to overburden it with stock. And to use only that which is entirely appropriate.

Further the heart of the operations is the Staging Yard (capital letters) and I shall be making a post about some beneficial alterations/improvements there..

Hi John, Hintock is looking great as usual. The new siding layout works really well. In the meantime here is another offering from the archives in the local library.

post-8259-0-08610500-1427561413_thumb.jpg

I hope you approve.

All the best

Andy

Hi John,, interesting reading about shunting and realistic operation V Roundy roundy, I'm already bored with my Bitton roundy roundy before its even ballasted, :O Love your shunting pics.

All the best and more pics please.

Andy, I've just had another look and right clicked the image from the archives- it is most cleverly done and the results so very impressive. Quite delightful in fact. Thank you again for your interest.

Concerning the new sidings I have now ballasted and painted the track with very pleasing results. The finished job will be a very nice enhancement to Hintock.

One of the key elements of Hintock and my operating of it is the Staging Yard. And to make it more effective i recently carried out an enhancement.

post-3088-0-18556200-1428067028_thumb.jpg

This shows its original ladder formation.

post-3088-0-27793800-1428067071_thumb.jpg

However, by taking that out and laying in a three way point I was able to lengthen the three roads that it now served.   it also required a slight widening and this I achieved on the LH side by adding a length of 2"x1". .

post-3088-0-83747800-1428067111_thumb.jpg

The finished result and in line up from the right: in the seven roads-

A: S&DR freight. LMS/SR

B.GWR/SR freight

C.GWR local passenger, children's/workman's/ milk/parcels

D. GWR perishable fruit and vegetables

E.GWR passenger Weymouth/Hintock + van(s)

F. SR passenger/Yeovil + van(s)

G.GWR passenger through coaches Birkenhead/Granby/Hintock.

Each of these trains requires the running round of the loco, shunting or adding and detaching vehicles as required, and the freights can run with GWR/SR/LMS locos and brake vans. No two trains, apart from G never need appear in the same complete guise.

All this is aided by my card system for managing the goods wagons, Kadee couplings, well  laid track and properly performing stock and locos.

It has added no end to the pleasures of operating my Hintock in a credible manner.

One of the key elements of Hintock and my operating of it is the Staging Yard. And to make it more effective i recently carried out an enhancement.

Each of these trains requires the running round of the loco, shunting or adding and detaching vehicles as required, and the freights can run with GWR/SR/LMS locos and brake vans. No two trains, apart from G never need appear in the same complete guise.

All this is aided by my card system for managing the goods wagons, Kadee couplings, well  laid track and properly performing stock and locos.

It has added no end to the pleasures of operating my Hintock in a credible manner.

I think I would have been sorely tempted to join up the end of the wagon siding with that nearest road of the fiddle yard.  Having to go through goods shed/factory/industrial.  Full wagons in, empties out.  Just a thought.

Archived