The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Yes, Mick but I resisted that temptation. But thanks for your interest. I would, of course, lost the road for the through coaches that are one of the features of Hintock..

And to the others, thanks for the "likes."

Yes, Mick but I resisted that temptation. But thanks for your interest. I would, of course, lost the road for the through coaches that are one of the features of Hintock..

And to the others, thanks for the "likes."

A cassette for that road? :scratchhead:

Another good idea Mick and thank you, but I already have the best of both worlds here, that is the siding and the Staging Yard road. That is because that long siding has as its end the warehouse of the Hintock Farmer's Trading Society. To it come full wagons and thus empty depart. Usually being vans they look the same either loaded or not.

post-3088-0-09463300-1428113900_thumb.jpg

Above is a further image that illustrates this; whilst I was doing the staging yard enhancement  and its widening I extended along here and was then able to open up the scene, and as will be seen wagons can now be discharged into the warehouse or to road vehicles. Another small but worthwhile improvement. The original arrangement can be seen in the first image previously posted. And in post #806.

• RMweb Gold

Great views of the fiddle yards John, I often wondered how you managed all the trains you show. I often remember reading in a Model Railroader that you should think about the number of staging roads you need then double it. Unfortunately I didn't have the room to do that, but I do find the 10 I have give me quite a bit of operational flexibility and give the railway a reason for being.

Cheers

Tony

Tony, it's that "reason for being" that we both recognize and is so important.

It too  should be the starting point for any layout that has any pretence to reality. Or put it another way-credibility.

East Yard, a forgettable and unremarkable name, no longer exists at Hintock.

In its place we shall have Jubilee Sidings and beyond them Victoria Terrace and Albert terrace respectively. Why, because they were laid in 1887. A full story will follow when all is done.

post-3088-0-77946700-1428670337_thumb.jpg

These images show progress to date.:- one,

post-3088-0-81170200-1428670371_thumb.jpg

-two,

post-3088-0-62577300-1428670422_thumb.jpg

-three,

post-3088-0-19658100-1428670457_thumb.jpg

and four.

I'm satisfied with progress and like to think these are self-explanatory but if not, please ask.

A quick question John:

You have probably mentioned it somewhere and I've missed it, but what glue do you use for fixing plasticard to card on your buildings? If some of them have lasted 40 years that'll do for me!

Steve

Steve, I have a good memory and as I recall going back 40 years and more the adhesive of choice for that task was UHU, a German product I think. Today, I use Formula 560 Canopy Glue Glue made here in the USA by Pacer.

The trick is to use wallpapering techniques and get the glue spread well all over and then(  be patient ) and wait 24 hours or so until the glue has dried out.

And maybe you. and others will like the attached. As AndyP always remarks "no post is complete without a picture."

post-3088-0-73241400-1429157197_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Hi John -like the way your new storey unfolds with the new yard and its purpose, within the overall storey. Nice work. Every time I look at the pictures of the layout I see something new or not spotted before. The background half relief buildings all along the station area are beautifully done. Good future reference for when I start planning my branch line terminus. Thanks for the sharing.

Andy R

Steve, I have a good memory and as I recall going back 40 years and more the adhesive of choice for that task was UHU, a German product I think. Today, I use Formula 560 Canopy Glue Glue made here in the USA by Pacer.

The trick is to use wallpapering techniques and get the glue spread well all over and then(  be patient ) and wait 24 hours or so until the glue has dried out.

And maybe you. and others will like the attached. As AndyP always remarks "no post is complete without a picture."

attachicon.gifDSCN4217-1.jpg

Regards,

And a beautiful serene scene it is too, Thanks John.

As you may have read Bitton has bitten the dust and although I will be building a Blue Period Layout, I now have enough room and stock to start my BR / WR BLT, with maybe a small Harbour, I just couldn't resist the new Bachmann 64XX to go with the other Prairies and Panniers, so perhaps something like a mini Trebudoc with some nice Devon rolling hills and cottages.

Your a real inspiration to a micro modeller, who needs space anyway, its over rated.

All the best.

attachicon.gifDSCN4217-1.jpg

Regards,

Thank you John, very useful.

And, once again, a nice picture

And a beautiful serene scene it is too, Thanks John.

As you may have read Bitton has bitten the dust and although I will be building a Blue Period Layout, I now have enough room and stock to start my BR / WR BLT, with maybe a small Harbour, I just couldn't resist the new Bachmann 64XX to go with the other Prairies and Panniers, so perhaps something like a mini Trebudoc with some nice Devon rolling hills and cottages.

Your a real inspiration to a micro modeller, who needs space anyway, its over rated.

All the best.

You are right Andy, Hintock is just idyllic, it ooses so much charm and nostalgia that you only have to close your eyes and you could be transposed there on a lovely summers day where you can smell the steam and hot oil, hear the birds singing, the shovel putting a round on and the injector sucking away. :sungum:

I reckon you could adapt that charm to your blue period :locomotive:

You are right Andy, Hintock is just idyllic, it ooses so much charm and nostalgia that you only have to close your eyes and you could be transposed there on a lovely summers day where you can smell the steam and hot oil, hear the birds singing, the shovel putting a round on and the injector sucking away. :sungum:

I reckon you could adapt that charm to your blue period :locomotive:

Thanks Mick, BUT I WONT NEED TO, as there is a BR/WR BLT planned for as well, just over the border in my beloved Devon with, I HOPE, room for some Rolling Green Fields as well.

John's pics and plans really do inspire and the maze of useful sidings coupled to the card system is something I hope to copy, (with john's kind permission of course).

Thanks again John.

Gentlemen, I'm sorry if it appears I have been tardy in responding to the several comments and to the approvals expressed-but it is for good cause. I do value all the feedback and I'm happy that others get, it seems, as much pleasure from Hintock as  do I.

In regard to those of an individual nature:-

AndyP: I wasn't aware that you had abandoned your Bitton project but I look only rarely because I find it difficult to identify the wheat amongst the chaff. However you can't go far wrong in building a GWR BLT and I wish you every success with it. Please feel free to take as many ideas as you wish from Hintock, I'm flattered you should wish to do so. Your enthusiasm will carry you through. And do your own thing-not what others would have you do. I never ask, I just do..

And I've just done a quick count, in all I have 11 sidings and around 65 non-coaching stock in use. I know you used the word "maze" loosely but all the sidings are systematically laid in and each has a purpose. It's as prototypical as I can get.

Andy R: there is a logic to everything I do, taking the brewery back scene as an example the buildings from the R the purposes to which they are put comprise, bottling on the ground floor with offices above. boiler house, outward casks, inward casks that first go through the cooperage both being served by the loading bank.

And behind it all is the "legend" as JohnD would have it, of Hintock itself. All is of a piece.

Mick; it's that and more. I savour it as clearly you do. It's quite intangible. I do write more about my approach-and that generates that atmosphere-on my website http://www.hintockbranch.com/

As I said before, I do appreciate the interest taken in Hintock and I thank all for it.

My regards,

post-3088-0-77303400-1429899697_thumb.jpg

From Weymouth runs the Joint GWR/SR Portland Branch with at its end the independent Easton and Church Hope Railway and its terminus at Easton. Portland is a virtual island that rises with sheer cliffs to the sea to over 500' and falls to sea level at its extremity Portland Bill. Easton is the largest village on the island. Portland is renowned for its stone and the harsh conditions at the large convict Prison.

post-3088-0-03206900-1429899737_thumb.jpg

The E&CHR is steeply graded with lengths at 1 in 40 and sharply curved as it climbs up East Cliff. Up trains are limited to nine loaded coal wagons and Down loaded stone trains require the use of SR "Gondola" goods brake vans. The enginemen have a hard task on both up and down trains.

post-3088-0-74294200-1429899762_thumb.jpg

In an attempt to ease this trials were run with an ex LB&SCR E4 class loco. They were not a success. The L&SWR men at Dorchester had no time for it and preferred their O2's and the District Engineer was no better pleased because the affect it had on the permanent way occasioned by the longer six coupled wheel base. So it was transferred to Yeovil and there it received a more enlightened reception. The enginemen took to it, particularly on out and home goods workings via the S&DR, Hintock/Sturminster Newton/Templecombe, and here we see it at Hintock on such a working.

post-3088-0-31237300-1429899792_thumb.jpg

I am delighted with this Bachmann product; it runs perfectly and with crew, coal, discs and a light weathering is now part and parcel of Hintock's overall ambience. It looks quite at home.

Thanks John and you other gentlemen who have 'liked' this post. I thought you would appreciate that tale and it and the loco go well together. It gives me fun to think such things through and if they raise a smile elsewhere then its all to the good.

I'm pleased too with the images, it seems to me that Hintock has matured with the recent changes at this LH end as compared to earlier images of much the same scene. I think it is true also of the current works at the RH end as further pictures will illustrate.

Whatever, I do appreciate the loyal and informed interest shown in Hintock by many from my first post, to this.

I have that first image up as my screen saver and all self opinion aside. it does make a nicely balanced picture of summer at Hintock-and looks quite realistic too. (The others also would do as well, especially the last.)

Hi John

Just caught up with the thread and the layout is looking great. The little Southern tank loco is a lovely model and the history behind it gives a super reason for it to run on Hintock. I look ofrward to more updates from the Hintock Diaries.

All the best

Andy

Dear John 

As per your communication with me I decided to become a participant on the RM Web and look at your blog

I have seen your web site  but the pictures on this site are so much more detailed  I have even found you details on the original Poppy Hollow this time partly in colour

Like many others I am impressed with the atmosphere in such a small space.

I have notified all the Tasmanian members of the BRMA ( British Railway Modelers of Australia)  this site and your web page.

This I feel will give inspiration to some who are just starting off their layout

Regards

David Cooke ( David of Amblesyde ) the name of our small hobby farm  

Greetings from Down under and 41 deg south ( Tasmania )

Some images of our activities in Aus  this is a simple station to fiddle yard by my Friend S. O.

post-26113-0-44105200-1430051022_thumb.jpg

Hello David,

What a delightful surprise from OZ and welcome to RMweb and my Hintock thread. I'm glad you found your way here. I know that you and others will find it both interesting and informative as well as a little fun.

I'm flattered too that you have spread the word of my activities-current and (long) past-and look forward to the making of further virtual friends of Hintock.

As I've said so often I get a lot of fun out of my railway modelling activities and if with it I can too give pleasure to others, well it's all to the good.

No doubt we shall be meeting again. And if you and others have any comments or questions then I'm always happy to respond.

And I like the look of that BLT, perhaps the owner would care to join with you on this Forum and tell us more about it.

Kindest regards to you and my mates down there in NZ and OZ.

Archived