The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Nick, always appreciate your comments, and yes as seen there they are as you say, a distraction. I have one or two other things to do first but such remarks as yours and AndyP's make me determined to get on with it sooner rather than later. Probably it will be just a plain blue. 

I'm glad too you like the last photos, I did it deliberately to show that even on a stereotype GWR BLT, (not that I regard Hintock as such) there is room for original application and thinking.

• RMweb Premium

Just dropping in to record my continued interest in and fascination by your work John.  Another quantity of superb images have appeared since I last visited rural Dorset.

Being midsummer over there I can picture myself atop Whiteway Down from where a large part of Wessex can be seen on a clear day and when the traffic subsides it seems every bird in the county is singing too.  Down there in the valleys lie the various branch lines to West Bay, Abbotsbury, Hintock and Port Bredy.  And all of them produce the occasional whisp of steam in the distance followed by a whistle carried on the pollen-filled breeze.

Rick, it's always a pleasure to read a post from you concerning Hintock as you have a nice turn of phrase and an eye for the Dorset scene. I also appreciate your interest.slo

It brought that view to life and stimulated my imagination and remembrance of times past. The only thing I would add is to the east the beauty and scope of Weymouth Bay and its coastline, to the west the sweep of Chesil Beach and Lyme Bay and on the distant horizon centre, the Sentinel of Wessex, the bulk of Portland.

What a feast for the senses.

post-3088-0-20412000-1435203921_thumb.jpg

This location appears to have become a favourite with one or two of the lineside photographers

post-3088-0-15511700-1435874362_thumb.jpg

On this occasion a Praire from WEYmouth (subshedded at Hintock) has been captured....

post-3088-0-28478700-1435874387_thumb.jpg

......leaving with the UP afternoon milk from Hintock Dairies....

post-3088-0-22102800-1435874418_thumb.jpg

....and seen to advantage.

Alan, thank you, but a passenger service to Port Bredy is unlikely to be re-introduced any time soon. It and the immediate district never developed as the original promoters of the branch hoped and travel between there and Hintock by local people is more convenient by the  Southern National bus service. Rail passengers to and from the GWR's Pennsylvania Castle hotel are catered for separately by a GWR omnibus that connects with certain trains. ..

I do have a 1400 and autocoach but rarely run them as they afford so little operational interest. They also take up space in the Staging Yard which is better employed for more interesting workings.

• RMweb Gold

This location appears to have become a favourite with one or two of the lineside photographers

attachicon.gifDSCN4508-1.jpg

On this occasion a Praire from WEYmouth (subshedded at Hintock) has been captured....

attachicon.gifDSCN4507-2.jpg

......leaving with the UP afternoon milk from Hintock Dairies....

attachicon.gifDSCN4509-2.jpg

....and seen to advantage.

I do have a soft spot for milk trains even though I'm not old enough to have see them. ;) All the 5's would have been a great 'cop' too.

Thank you gentlemen and Robin for the "likes" of the set of images to which he so graciously refers. I do have another set showing the train standing in the loop and these I shall post soon. As said they seem to sum up so much of what a GWR branch line of that period was all about and is to me one of the joys of creating one  and operating it.

Returning to Alan's previous post here is an older image of the 14XX and its train. What is interesting too about it are the changes since to the scene. Whilst the track formation and landing remain along with Dairy Cottages, the Signal Box has gone replaced by the Water Tower, Ayling and Strudwicks's Mill replaced in a new format by Carr's Mill, the goods shed and the PWat hut elsewhere and cattle are now handled in Town Yard. All improvements, I think you will agree.

post-3088-0-44107000-1436444769_thumb.jpg

Hi John, just catching up after 5 and a half days with no internet due the Storms we had here in the early hours of Saturday morning.

The pics look really good, I will be running a couple of  Autocoachs (BR Blood and Custard and a Maroon one) and the new B/M 64XX in lined Green, I will be reviling my plans soon but your alterations are now worthy of a second look, as I hadn't realised how many changes had been made to such a small area. 

Really looking good, and enjoying the pictures as ever.

John,

I quite understand why it is inappropriate to run passenger service to the Port, however what I had in mind was the Push/ Pull not residing in the fiddle yard but dodging traffic in the modeled part of the layout (and doing a cameo appearance in the Quay area from time to time) and remember the first rule on railway modeling.

Who knows , you suprised us with the Quay so (maybe) an extension?

Ah well one can dream!

post-3088-0-16364000-1436847728_thumb.jpg

A short post to introduce the completed Jubilie Yard and a SR 700 newly shedded at Dorchester and making its first appearance at Hintock.

post-3088-0-78461100-1436847760_thumb.jpg

More later.

post-3088-0-24685000-1436847792_thumb.jpg

PS, before any member tells me I am aware the loco's tender wheels are off. I took the images toward the end of a rather wearing day and only spotted it after posting. I shall post re=placement images-when I get round to it. Meantime just enjoy everything else in the image(s).

Gentlemen, thank you  for your interest and appreciation. I'm happy with the way things have worked out here but one of the purposes of the posting was to show me what needs to be attended to. The gable ends, for instance of Victoria and Albert Terraces and here some judicious tree planting will do the trick. Other than that little else seems required.I do have some work in progress images and these I shall post along with the story line and comment.

The other purpose was  to show off the 700. As remarked by Donw it appears so at home on Hintock and fits in with the scheme of things thus adding to its credibility. I'm delighted with it, a sweet runner, nicely done and needs only real coal and a slight weathering to tone down the brightwork. Currently too it needs a fireman and he's on his way from Liverpool.

AndyP, I'm not sure of their allocation, I think a few were at Exmouth Junction but I don't think they worked generally much further west. I was pleased to find 695 was a Dorchester loco as with that it naturally fits into my Hintock scenario. And yes, if axle loadings allow it might get to HTQ and beyond.

• RMweb Gold

I have seen a photo of one at Barnstaple but never saw one myself. I think it was early 60s Weren't some fitted with snowploughs after the bad winter of 62/3?

Don

post-3088-0-44922700-1436980602_thumb.jpg

Following up my last image post here are two more of much the same general scene but, with a tree planted between the gable ends of Victoria and Albert Terraces. Much improving the flank view.

post-3088-0-35891900-1436980666_thumb.jpg

And of the 700, still unweathered and without real coal. Looking good even so.

post-3088-0-30679900-1436980691_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Wow John, That's opened that corner right up, nice change indeed.

Hi John,

This is my first post, I do like your model railway. It must be a joy to operate.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Thanks gentlemen for your interest. It wasn't my intention to post until I had a complete set but couldn't resist the temptation.

Andy, so true, I'm delighted with the enhancement. The "corner" is no more, it's just part of the whole.

Nick, happy you have found Hintock. My aim was to provide for operation and so it has proved, as it is a joy to operate. i hope not only will you visit again but shall become a follower. It's fun for me and as it appears fun for others to follow what has gone on and will (all being well) continue to go.

My regards,

It's amazing how much difference just a little change can make. Just by adding that tree breaks up the straight lines of the terrace and hides the fact they are only half relief. That corner is looking really nice now. Surely it must be time to search the Dorset archives again. Great work John.

Archived