The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

I'm a bit late, but, Happy Birthday John!

So am I John.So happy birthday.

I sympathise about the fires – we had snow one day and a bushfire which took 2 days to put out all in the same area in the Blue Mountains about 80 Ks West of Sydney CBD. Last night we had hail and at last some rain.

2 questions for you.

1st, have you ever shown as a photo of the trestle bridge before? I might figure out just where it is on the layout but at this point I haven't worked out.

Secondly, I wonder where you got your head and tail lamps from? Are they Springside?

Keep the comments and photos coming

Chesterfield

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday John from one whose age is numerically the reverse of your own and is thus a mere youth.  

I've enjoyed catching up with the storyline and developments, and not least the special events you laid on, which bring good cheer after a few days of dreadful news from back home where family and friends have been very close to the air disaster at Shoreham and I therefore have been very close to the news feeds and the phone.  

Hintock is always such a refreshing place to visit and right now brings a special degree of relief from the other real world.  

Long may your enjoyment  continue.  And therefore ours.

• RMweb Gold

I must say, I've NEVER noticed the Bridge before, is it new John or am I getting Old and forgetful?

It's an illusion. :secret:  I'm sure the answer can be found by deciphering the initials PRB.

It's an illusion. :secret:  I'm sure the answer can be found by deciphering the initials PRB.

Sorry Nick, I'm having a thick day, you've totally lost me on that one matey. :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  

I now keep going back to it looking for clues. :O

It's the trestle bridge over Summit Creek on John's US Providence River layout -  another fascinating layout full of atmosphere to John's usual high standards. How about an update John?

Gentlemen, again my thanks for your good wishes. likes and comments.

Alan: the lamps are Springside and the bridge you won't find on the current Hintock as is explained further along.

Donw; on the money. I like the comment about the composition. The scene was not too difficult to make and I think it was successful. Old GWR trestle bridges did last into the 1930-s and on a lightly used goods only branch such as the HTQ there was no urgency to replace it. I did think it through. And it was something a little different and added to the story line pictures. I have more images that I shall post.

Rick: you do wax poetic and I'm glad to be able to add some cheer to your day. Hintock is a world of its own and one I;m happy to be able to share with like minded people.

Andy P: sorry to perplex you , but you got there in the end.

Nick: yes, its all illusion. You have too a good memory.

Wrman; correct to a T. The PRB was featured in MRP 2009 and CM June 2011.

It has been neglected I must admit for the last two or three years but taking these images has rekindled my enthusiasms and I plan to freshen it up. Then I'll take some picture and start a thread. I did run a train on it this morning and even after all that neglect it ran perfectly. There's something very robust about  American HO modelling.

To conclude I had hoped to post a picture of the scene in its original form but unfortunately due to my computer crash that image along with others has disappeared.

post-3088-0-60809400-1440542858_thumb.jpg

Morning John,

Just looked in to see all the birthday greetings and so would like to add mine, however late, and I hope you have many more of them. Thanks once again for the inspirational 'magazine standard' (or better?) images,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

Vsechno nejlepsi k narozeninam !, as they say in the Czech Republic , John. ( Happy Birthday! )Apologies for missing the obvious!!!

As for the reason so many people follow Hintock, it is not as complex as you think. It is very straight forward.

You have produced a seminal model which has become a bench mark for modellers of the GWR, and will be for years to come. In fact, Hintock has arguably already become a reference for those seeking to effectively capture a particular era, regardless of prototype.

Rob.

Vsechno nejlepsi k narozeninam !, as they say in the Czech Republic , John. ( Happy Birthday! )Apologies for missing the obvious!!!

As for the reason so many people follow Hintock, it is not as complex as you think. It is very straight forward.

You have produced a seminal model which has become a bench mark for modellers of the GWR, and will be for years to come. In fact, Hintock has arguably already become a reference for those seeking to effectively capture a particular era, regardless of prototype.

Rob.

Spot on Rob, your absolutely right, Hintock will remain an all time CLASSIC for many many years to come, for the very reasons you have stated, well said that man.

Jock, Rob, Andy, that's really very kind. I don't quite know how to respond except to say thank you. I haven't done it on my own, alright I've done it my way, but followed in the footsteps of those before as Peter Denny. It was he who gave me the original inspiration. When stuck nowadays it is to his two books that I always turn.

I get fun out of Hintock and it's apparent others do too. With that I am content, And, if along the way I can inspire others then that is all to the good.

My very kind regards to you, and all my followers.,

High and deserved praise indeed. The layout is a gem. The trestle didn't look too out of character and I did a double take as well- thinking I must have missed something in the layout diagram! But, all has been revealed...what a modelling talent this Mr Flann is.

regards, Andy R

Hi John

That little trestle bridge is superb, I hope to fit one of those in as the original bridges over the Culm were all wooden and that looks exactly the sort of size I would need, seeing that one in place on your layout just confirms it is the right way to go.

Keep up the great work and inspiration for us all.

Hello Jim,

Nice to see you posting, yes those small trestle bridges are attractive and will suit your Hemyock Branch very well.  I chose not  to add handrails or side walkways because of the short span. The walkway is in the middle of the track. The side walkway would be simply cantilvered  out.

I attach a close up that shows the construction detail I also have some plans (somewhere) that gives timber sizes. I have too written an article (in CM)  describing the construction techniques. Copies would be available for those interested via

PM. Building one is a straightforward enough job for those not possessing  your skills.

All good wishes.

post-3088-0-24646200-1440646048_thumb.jpg

AndyM, I appreciate those kind words about Hintock and my 85th milestone.

The two go together to a degree for it is this hobby that has added so much to the retirement I have been fortunate to enjoy. It occupies the mind as much as it does the benefit from the modeling itself. I also enjoy other pursuits: the intellectual in the research for my historical railway articles and the other extreme the physical in being out in the mountains.

Hintock does have a life of its own, where I can enjoy it as the creator and the pleasure of others through such a forum as this. Gentlemen-thank you..

And now for AndyP's image that I know he will be happy to share with the membership.

post-3088-0-71915500-1441057743_thumb.jpg

PS, what's interesting about this is it shows the layout, well more or less, from one end to t'oher.

Hi John 

very very belated congratulations on your recent milestone that I was unaware of. I hope you have good health to enjoy a little more railway modelling.

Our oldest member of our local Hornby Collectors Club is my good friend Chas.G. a sprightly 91 still enjoying his layout "O gauge coarse scale" 

So long may it continue .Best wishes from Tasmania Australia       41 deg South 

David Cooke  

John

Found your thread yesterday, and wanted to say what a service I think your articles in RM do.

You seem to be one of the few (the only?) people keeping the flame of "operation with a purpose, and properly informed by a knowledge of the traditional railway" burning.

As is said elsewhere here, the Legacy of Rev Denny and others is in good hands with yourself, while a great deal of the rest of railway-modelling-land is so obsessed with photo/dimensional-realisim that the reality of operation gets neglected.

Thank you!

Kevin

Archived