The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Bogie, welcome to RMweb.

I agree with the "wow". Further back in this thread there are other images that have received the benefit of AndyM's skills and when you have the opportunity you may care to look them out. They are worth the effort but I'm afraid I can't direct them to you.

I hope you will continue to watch my thread.

Regards,

In my last posts I've made mention of getting presentable shots from the LH corner of Hintock and how it is rather a hit and miss operation. Herewith are four of the more acceptable but, by no means are up to the customary standard. The reason why, is as I explained, however as a matter of general interest thought you'd like to see for yourselves.

post-3088-0-93991700-1443308210_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-41525000-1443308233_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-73172800-1443308252_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-60098800-1443308275_thumb.jpg

My other comment as already remarked upon is how good a modelling tool is the camera-and how cruel.

In my last posts I've made mention of getting presentable shots from the LH corner of Hintock and how it is rather a hit and miss operation. Herewith are four of the more acceptable but, by no means are up to the customary standard. The reason why, is as I explained, however as a matter of general interest thought you'd like to see for yourselves.

attachicon.gifDSCN4575-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN4576-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN4578-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN4580-1.jpg

My other comment as already remarked upon is how good a modelling tool is the camera-and how cruel.

How could we not like these John?

Regards

John

I wouldn't worry too much about the "cruelty" aspect; it's the overall impression that matters, and the overall impression is superb.

Looking into old railway modelling magazines, one realises that most of the great layouts succeeded by presenting a consistent overall impression, and believable operation, rather than being visually "pin perfect" in every single aspect. Added to which, the fact is that the reproduction of photos in magazines was distinctly "muddy",maven as recently as the 1970s. It's since the widespread use of digital that photos got really, seriously, cruel. But, on the other hand, it's only since digitisation that we've been able to share photos so easily.

Kevin

Kevin, kind words and as you are aware the overall impression is what I aim fo. I could go on about it at great length-but I shall not do so. (I do to an extent on my website and for those unaware of it's http://www.hintockbranch.com/ )

Detail to my mind can detract because that's not exactly what we see when looking at a railway as a whole. It's there, of course, but not necessatily patently apparent.  Enough said.

post-3088-0-85398500-1443366938_thumb.jpg

These two images are of much the same scene as before except here the points are correctly set and the track through the mirror, is better lined up. Overall much better "picturs". Detracting is the object to the right rear, it's a book that I used to elevate the camera for a tripod wouldn't fit. But I forgot to take it away concentrating on other things like the signals and points. I couldn't see through the sitefinder in any event so the shots were taken blind. (For those interested in my reading matter it's Trollopes "Last chronicle of Barset". It was just the right height and size.)

post-3088-0-78867800-1443366963_thumb.jpg

I prefer the second shot. It has more appeal as its a better composition.

post-3088-0-74366700-1443831908_thumb.jpg

At Hintock there is order and with the arrival of the the Up Goods from Dorchester the 2.03 pm passenger train to Yeovil can depart.

post-3088-0-92535100-1443831934_thumb.jpg

473 runs around its train.

post-3088-0-50387500-1443831994_thumb.jpg

and makes a nice picture as it does so.

post-3088-0-99107500-1443831968_thumb.jpg

Shunting proceeds and the train is made up

post-3088-0-87044300-1443832027_thumb.jpg

and stands ready to depart after the next Down passenger has arrived. (And yes, you can see the errant book in the corner. How I wish I remembered to remove it, but doesn't spoil the picture overmuch.)

• RMweb Premium

Did I detect the (presumed temporary installation and) use of a loco turntable at Hintock between the first and subsequent pictures above John?

That's a very nice sequence of pictures.

Kevin, glad you liked it. The back story of how E4 got there is that it was sent to Dorchester for trials on the Portland Branch. More particularly the line onward and upward to Easton. There it was hoped on the steep grades of 1:40 it would more easily handle heavy ascending coal trains and have better braking abilities for the descending tonnages of stone. The experiment was not a success, the ex L&SWR men at Dorchester preferred their pet O2's and the Civil Engineer wasn't pleased with the affect on the sharply curved PW of the longer six coupled wheelbase. So it was sent to Yeovil where it was happily accepted.

Ray, thanks for the compliment. and as you surmised the turntable is purely notional so as to get a better shot. (Of course, also they could have been taken on different days of the same working.)

And gentlemen thanks for your likes here and previously.

post-3088-0-69317800-1444435926_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-49364700-1444435962_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-62624300-1444436011_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-94377300-1444436038_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-47749400-1444436087_thumb.jpg

All of these are rather "bread and butter shots", but they do I hope both entertain and inform. I have another project in hand so it's likely this is the last you'll see of the E4 for the time being.

{attachment=630041:DSCN5016-1.jpg]

And this one is to my mind very much an example of Southern elegance.

Next time, I hope, a change of scene.

post-3088-0-02435900-1444436117_thumb.jpg

Thank you gentlemen for your likes, they are always nice to get.

AndyR, to be fair I haven't really tested the M7 with freight work but it seems capable of shortish trains. But I didn't persist as the entry curve into Sheepcroft Yard is sharper than I would like and the loco didn't take kindly to it. So I use it for the passenger trains (two Hornby coaches plus van) and it copes adequately. It seems too it looks more at home with a passenger train than a miscellaneous goods.

With your easier curves I think it would be likely to serve you well, and you have to agree, it is a very elegant loco. I'd go for it. I got mine, second hand, from Ron Lines in the UK. Excellent service.

Regards,

As always, seeing (and scrutinizing) your photos is a pleasure for the viewer, John. So much credibility, so much atmosphere and – last but not least – serenity. Rarely seen at other places.

Again: Thanks for showing and sharing!

I have another project in hand so it's likely this is the last you'll see of the E4 for the time being.

{attachment=630041:DSCN5016-1.jpg]

And …

And - if I may - to round out our joy: could you please in your post quoted above replace the bracket in red by a square opening bracket ( [ ) ?

Then we all could see this image too…

Thanks and regards

Armin

Armin, those are very gracious words. I hadn't quite thought of it in that way and serenity is certainly a good word to use. I didn't think of it in that manner when I was a boy, it was always quiet and peaceful in the station yards, just the passenger trains arriving at fairly long intervals and in between the daily goods going about its business. Not a hive of activity by any means. I was just happy to be there.

I don't over detail or fuss and that helps. It detracts in my opinion and viewed, as we do model railways from a fair scale distance it just can't be seen in any event. Put what's neccessary to complete the scene and leave it at that. It should be complementary, no more.

My aim, as i often say is the overall affect. In most cases I accomplish it and in doing so spend hours fiddling about with the placement of buildings, trees and the like. Enough said.

As to the image and the missing bracket, it happened in editing but the image is there, it's the last one.

post-3088-0-90782300-1444523463_thumb.jpg

Now here are two more brought on by AndyR's reference to a M7, above is mine in earlier days running it with  a train from Yeovil past East Yard. Below is the same corner and with a 700 leaving with a Yeovil bound goods. The old yard is now Jubilee Yard and evolved into a much better scene. Some bigger changes some subtle.

post-3088-0-32989800-1444523495_thumb.jpg

I hope these two make-up for any sense of loss.

Hi John -that seems a fair recommendation and if I could get second-hand even better. I will look at the Ron Lines website thanks.

Nice further photos of M7. Interesting your observations re running powers. I have a similar dilemma with the kit-built M7 seen in recent photos of Hawkinsfield (in front of the goods yard); its rigid chassis is not forgiving of my trackwork, and it does not perform well. Hence my check on how your RTR runs and whether its worth the purchase. On that theme John -would you recommend any other southern RTR loco that may have been seen around our Dorset layout localities in the late 30's that I might consider?. Your advice will be, as always, appreciated.

regards, Andy R

Andy,

M7's are good looking locos and very much look the part on any SR themed layout. I got mine some time ago and had to look around before locatiing one at Ron Lines. It's happy on its allocated duties.

You can see also in the latter image the recently acquired 700. They were found in the SW and would be quite appropriate for Hawkinsfield. It ran exceedingly well straight out of the box, can pull, is responsive and handsome. I'm delighted. I thought you'd like the image. It encourages me to add some more.

Regards,

post-3088-0-88287700-1445033885_thumb.jpg

Hintock Town Quay was featured in the December 2014 RM and on here and since then I have enjoyed operating it with much pleasaure. In so doing I thought the operational aspects could be enhanced by the addition of another siding within the existing footprint of the layout. This set of photos show where I was at and where I am today.

Much of what has gone on is self evident, But, of course,I]m always happy to answer questions.

post-3088-0-27030700-1445033914_thumb.jpg

one...

post-3088-0-94278500-1445033946_thumb.jpg

two...

post-3088-0-94581300-1445033973_thumb.jpg

three...

post-3088-0-49186800-1445034006_thumb.jpg

and four. The mock-up, a simple card cut out I made to give me some idea of the bulk of the new structure along the new siding and how it would fit in the overall scene. It seems to suit so I shall set about building it. The chimney is rather monumental but it has the affect of framing the scene to the right comprising chimney, the bridge and the warehouse (following my rule of three) and similarly it will to the left-when done.

The immediate task is to smarten up the trackwork, paint the rails and ballast. It has all been tested. And with that chore done I can the get on with the fun stuff.

What I have now is a rather original 2-5-5 Inglenook and being able to make up trains of 4/5 wagons from 12. All very pleasurable.

Morning(here!) John,

Another splendid idea - the story continues! I honestly did not think there was much room there, but you are going to fit a siding as well as buildings, and it just looks 'right'.

Well done and kind regards,

Jock.

Hello Jock, (evening here, for you getting on for early morning)

As you recognise, and have seen here with HTQ things continually evolve and this enhancement is a natural consequence of the original scenario. i'm pleased you like it and the eventual outcome will I'm sure be agreeable on all counts.

All good wishes,

John.

Nice work John, I'm planning an Inglenook once West Shed is up at the Club Room and out of the way. Your VERY Low relief building is yet another example of Classic early Railway Modelling in the C J Freezer style. Superb and I'm looking forward to the next set of pics very much once the building is finished.

They say Less is More but in this case, more is better, and still not over crowded due I think mainly the River frontage opening out the whole scene.

Well done yet again Young Man.

• RMweb Gold

I am watching this develope, John. As usual lovely gentle instructive modelling.

Just right for a lazy Saturday morning.

Rob.

Gentlemen, thank you for those likes and AndyP and Rob for your comments.

AndyP: it has come out well and I'm pleased with how it naturally developed. Quite right CJF had a lot of good ideas and I was a faithful follower in RM. Here the new building will be about 3/8" in depth just enough to give it some relief. It will be known as Hardy's Mill and the story behind it told in due course.

What I like about HTQ and it clearly appeals to you is that it doesn't shout Inglenook, it has to be looked for. The shape helps too being irregular not angular with the splayed ends. the curving front and the backscene only 7" high. Below is a dimensioned plan showing its footprint.

post-3088-0-95830200-1445087725_thumb.jpg

Rob:, yes lazy and serene is HTQ-that's the way I like it-and here's an image that shows its character well. What I like about it also it that it is such a handy size and no enormous task to carry out such an enhancement as this. Once the track is painted and ballasted normal services can be resumed. I can then start on thenew structures and that task I really enjoy. If i can remember to do so I'll take some photos of the process.

post-3088-0-41028300-1445087748_thumb.jpg

PS, this wasn't quite the image I was looking for but it does make my point. It will also please AndyP in his belief no post is complete without a picture. And I agree.

Archived