The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

John

Just checked  the Easton track plan in the Oakwood Press publication and I remembered correctly that both ends of Easton station were crossed by bridges one of which his still there so you could have natural scenic breaks using bridges. The route through Easton is becoming increasingly difficult to trace due to building work.

Look forward to seeing this develop. I do sometimes think of building a Portland based layout but my East Anglian roots and my years spent living in London keep drawing me back!

Jock, yes, I do see this as an opportunity for some scenic work and in my mind's eye I already have a picture of how it might appear. The layout will have no physical connection to either Hintock itself or Hintock TQ. I could if I moved Hintock but that's too much like hard work and in any event I wouldn't enjoy a layout that size. These are just a handy size and enable me to have enjoyable plays as the mood takes me.

My present mood is constructive.

For water I take the simple approach, a hard board bobble side up bottom painted  a deepish green. The water itself several poured clear coats of varnish. The water at this point is the confluece of the River Brede and the sea. No dramatic breaking waves or the like, this is a backwater so just quietly ebbing and flowing tide and river.

post-3088-0-01103700-1446679710_thumb.jpg

Earlier on there was the question of the location of the signal box and this drawing I did, from a photoraph, shows it. Some of you may have seen it before but it bears repeating in this context for it's all rather charming and from which I draw much inspiration. It also shows O2,221 on which in the eary 1940's I had a footplate ride from Easton to Melcombe Regis. Something I've never forgotten and this memorializes the event. It's also for consideration that perhaps I am the only, or one of the few, and amongst all the current excitement concerning O2's who actually rode one in Southern Railway days.

Martyn, thank you for that, this illustration does show the sloping iron bridge at that end of Easton station. I've been scratching my head as to the name of the street it carries but can't currently recall it. I walked up that way many a time when I was a boy. There is too (or was) the bridge at the other end out from the saw mills and on to Perryfields, again I went many a day along that way in days of yore.

I shall need a bridge to hide the exit into the staging yard. That will probably be on the staging yard board and the distance along it will be as much as I can get so as to give a nice run in to Port Bredy. All good fun.

Hi John -is there no end to your artistic talent!

Can you come over to NZ and do my back scene please!

I will follow your new layout evolution with interest. If well documented like you have with Hintock it will be an informative ride for the rest of us.

regards, Andy R

Jock, yes, I do see this as an opportunity for some scenic work and in my mind's eye I already have a picture of how it might appear. The layout will have no physical connection to either Hintock itself or Hintock TQ. I could if I moved Hintock but that's too much like hard work and in any event I wouldn't enjoy a layout that size. These are just a handy size and enable me to have enjoyable plays as the mood takes me.

My present mood is constructive.

For water I take the simple approach, a hard board bobble side up bottom painted  a deepish green. The water itself several poured clear coats of varnish. The water at this point is the confluece of the River Brede and the sea. No dramatic breaking waves or the like, this is a backwater so just quietly ebbing and flowing tide and river.

attachicon.gifeastonmj4-1.jpg

Earlier on there was the question of the location of the signal box and this drawing I did, from a photoraph, shows it. Some of you may have seen it before but it bears repeating in this context for it's all rather charming and from which I draw much inspiration. It also shows O2,221 on which in the eary 1940's I had a footplate ride from Easton to Melcombe Regis. Something I've never forgotten and this memorializes the event. It's also for consideration that perhaps I am the only, or one of the few, and amongst all the current excitement concerning O2's who actually rode one in Southern Railway days.

Martyn, thank you for that, this illustration does show the sloping iron bridge at that end of Easton station. I've been scratching my head as to the name of the street it carries but can't currently recall it. I walked up that way many a time when I was a boy. There is too (or was) the bridge at the other end out from the saw mills and on to Perryfields, again I went many a day along that way in days of yore.

I shall need a bridge to hide the exit into the staging yard. That will probably be on the staging yard board and the distance along it will be as much as I can get so as to give a nice run in to Port Bredy. All good fun.

The street along the back of your fantastic drawing is Reforne and many of the buildings in your drawing are still there, changed but still recognisable. Reforne contains the George pub, which I'm sure you know is one of the oldest buildings on Portland. If you would like I can try and take some photographs so you can see how the area looks today.

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to the next chapter of the Hintock saga,John. As always,informative, inspirational, well executed and downright entertaining.

Rob.

Gentlemen, thank you for your interest, 'likes' and kind comments, and in response I would say;

Jock,...indeed I have.

AndyR,..,that's a nice idea. But a bit late for it now.

Martyn,...of course it's Reforne. Thanks and no thanks. I prefer to hang on to my illusions.

Rob,..."entertaining." Now I like that.

Adrian,..plus the smell of the sea.

Cuckoo,...yes, I have one of those. Glad you enjoyed the visit and hope you will come again,

And, if any member wishes to capture and print the illustration for their own personal purposes, I have no objections.

My regards,

Hi John, a beautiful drawn illustration and plan of what you are proposing to create, I can feel the sunshine and smell the smoke and oil already. all the best Adrian.

Today you can feel the horizontal rain, I'm sure the howling gales won't be far behind!

Still a great place to live.

• RMweb Gold

Gentlemen, thank you for your interest, 'likes' and kind comments, and in response I would say;

Jock,...indeed I have.

AndyR,..,that's a nice idea. But a bit late for it now.

Martyn,...of course it's Reforne. Thanks and no thanks. I prefer to hang on to my illusions.

Rob,..."entertaining." Now I like that.

Adrian,..plus the smell of the sea.

Cuckoo,...yes, I have one of those. Glad you enjoyed the visit and hope you will come again,

And, if any member wishes to capture and print the illustration for their own personal purposes, I have no objections.

My regards,

Hi John,  I was going to ask you about the illustration as I would like to copy it for myself, so thanks for that, off now to sniff the ozone. All the best Adrian.

• RMweb Premium

I have just taken some time to read back through selected pages across the entire thread.  After the sad loss yesterday of Penhayle Bay's resident feline which I know you, John, have acknowledged already (thank you) I felt in need of some quiet contemplation.

Hintock brings that in happy times and sad.  It brings a calm and a bucolic breeze across the busy lives of those of us living, under perhaps the duress of modern times, in large cities albeit hailing in my case from a very much smaller place.  The latest photos yet again set the standard for others to aspire to in both modelling and image presentation.  On the first day in over 12 years without the sounds of small paws and sitting here alone because Sharon is yet again away on business I'm sure I could hear the birds twittering and the distant lowing of cattle somewhere down the Bredy Valley.  

As we enter our upside-down Spring I can picture and smell the fallen leaves of Hintock in Autumn, first green, then browned and crisp, finally turning to mush against walls and under foot.  And then there's the occasional whistle of the train wafted in on that breeze and all's somehow right with the world.

Adrian, how did it print out? I can send you privately (I have your email address) a larger image in tif format that should provide greater clarity. That shown here is much reduced so the quality is rather poor.

Would you like me to do that?

Similarly for others if they will kindly PM me.

Rick, another delightful respose of  truth, whimsy and charm. I do appreciate it, for like your Penhayle Bay it is a real place to me.

I don't know exactly quite how we achieve it or why. I think it would make a good subject for a philosophical discussion over a pint or two of Crown Prince best bitter in the George (thank you Martyn for the reminder) at Hintock.

Between us we keep the memories of those days of when railways were railways (at least to us) in that part of England-the south west-so dear to the hearts of two ex-pats now far from their native heath.

I'll do my best to keep the Hintock saga running for as long as I can. I see it as something of a welcome and enjoyable challenge.

Every good wish.

John

New mini-layout plan looks like a very good one, operationally " interesting enough", with plenty of potential for buildings and scenes.

I'm actually getting tempted to build a mini-layout myself, because I really am finding the c20ft x 2ft of scenic development ahead of me very intimidating.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

Adrian, how did it print out? I can send you privately (I have your email address) a larger image in tif format that should provide greater clarity. That shown here is much reduced so the quality is rather poor.

Would you like me to do that?

Similarly for others if they will kindly PM me.

Hi John, I have sent you a PM. I haven't printed it out yet, and I suspect you will be kept busy sending out copies to all your other followers. All the best Adrian.

• RMweb Gold

I have just taken some time to read back through selected pages across the entire thread.  After the sad loss yesterday of Penhayle Bay's resident feline which I know you, John, have acknowledged already (thank you) I felt in need of some quiet contemplation.

Hintock brings that in happy times and sad.  It brings a calm and a bucolic breeze across the busy lives of those of us living, under perhaps the duress of modern times, in large cities albeit hailing in my case from a very much smaller place.  The latest photos yet again set the standard for others to aspire to in both modelling and image presentation.  On the first day in over 12 years without the sounds of small paws and sitting here alone because Sharon is yet again away on business I'm sure I could hear the birds twittering and the distant lowing of cattle somewhere down the Bredy Valley.  

As we enter our upside-down Spring I can picture and smell the fallen leaves of Hintock in Autumn, first green, then browned and crisp, finally turning to mush against walls and under foot.  And then there's the occasional whistle of the train wafted in on that breeze and all's somehow right with the world.

A 'like' or 'agree' is simply not enough. The above just sums up why so many of us look in on Hintock. A chance to step off the merry go round and dwell in a much gentler place for however long we may idle there. A chance to reflect made all the more pleasurable ,in my case at least, when sat next to a coal fire with a glass of port or single malt to hand.

Long may it continue to provide the diversion that many of us need from time to time and lets never underestimate the value of layouts such as Hintock.

Rob.

Kevin: I think you would enjoy a layout along the lines of Port  Bredy,  I have got to the stage of preparing in rough a baseboard and laying out old points and pieces of track to see what it looks like. I'm impressed and looking forward to implementing it when my shipment from that well known Liverpool establishment arrives, to get started in earnest. Meantime I can prepare the baseboard.

It is my intention to photograph progress and post images as I proceed. I'm hoping to introduce one or two innovations. It's all eminently doable.

I have also made progress on the enhancements to Hintock TQ. Winter is now here-snow on the mountains-and indoor pursuits are preferable to outdoor.

As you recognise, a layout this size has a lot to offer both in operational and scenic terms along with playability. And capable of fairly ready accomplishment.

Adrian: you now have this, I had hoped to send a less stark image and perhaps if needs be, you can manage that at your end.

Rob: again well said, and I totally agree with your sentiments. My only oher comment is that in the spirit of the south-west location perhaps in place of those tipples it should be Plymouth gin.

And again, thanks for the likes and other endorsements.

My regards,

Hi John

I look forward to the forthcoming posts on the Port Bredy build with anticipation. But, have I missed something? I was wondering why, when on the other two layouts the traffic enters from the left right with the river supposedly at the front of the layout, the traffic now appears on stage from the left of the new layout with the River Bredy in front and then exits right to the harbour. 

All the best

Andy

Andy, thank you. Quite correct. The rule on Hintock has been, enter Stage Right, leave Stage Left. It will be so.

I recall thinking about at the time but obviously I got carried away and forgot about it. The reminder is appreciated. You clearly have paid more attention than I did.

It is easy enough to flip the layout and I hope to post some pictures of things in rough early next week.

My regards,

A further step along the way in getting on with Port Bredy was taken today.

I needed track and points-code 75 by the way-and I ordered them from Hatton's on November 6. The order was prcessed, picked and packed the same day. And today, November 9 at noon it was delivered. That is from Liverpool to a small town in the northern Rocky Mountains of Utah, USA.

That's what I call service.

Now given that incentive I need prepare the  baseboards. But even roughly laid out things are looking pretty good.

(I have also commented on the model shop thread.)

Archived