The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year,John.

Thank you for continuing to inspire us with Hintock in its various guises.

May I offer you my best wishes for 2016.

The above images are very welcome after completing my night shift and went well with a glass of single malt.

I'm off to bed now.

Rob

Happy New Year to you, Rob, (and Peter who agrees with you and  to those who have 'liked'.)

I'm glad that Hintock in its continuing story appeals and I think it likely that Port Bredy will do similarly. I can already in my mind's eye see it complete and that's something I'm looking forward to getting on with.

I shall provide a full back story and technical details but perhaps what really I have had in mind was to demonstrate the attraction, once again, of a small layout that has enough operation to retain interest,  look attractive and be capable of realization in a reasonable time.

And Rob, I did wonder if this notion would be something tthat could well further your L&SWR ambitions?

Good wishes to all.

Evening John,

Back home recuperating and trying to catch up - thank you for the kind good wishes,

I'm really looking forward to the Port Bredy build which will give all your followers some real entertainment,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Andy, thanks, yes a short length of scenic and a three road yard.

Jock, that is a pleasant surprise and may your recuperation go well. Yours was not the ideal way to see a New Year in particularly for a Scot, and let us trust that it will see you right.

I think the new build will prove interesting for I have one or two new ideas to try out.

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year to you, Rob, (and Peter who agrees with you and  to those who have 'liked'.)

I'm glad that Hintock in its continuing story appeals and I think it likely that Port Bredy will do similarly. I can already in my mind's eye see it complete and that's something I'm looking forward to getting on with.

I shall provide a full back story and technical details but perhaps what really I have had in mind was to demonstrate the attraction, once again, of a small layout that has enough operation to retain interest,  look attractive and be capable of realization in a reasonable time.

And Rob, I did wonder if this notion would be something tthat could well further your L&SWR ambitions?

Good wishes to all.

It has John. Not quite the quayside but the thought of a small simple terminus appeals.

The game is afoot so to speak. A L&SWResque terminus is in the planning stages.

Many thanks..

Rob.

post-3088-0-12052200-1452351343_thumb.jpg

The LH end of Hintock TQ was nothing to be proud of, but it served it's purpose in meeting a publication deadline and with the main emphasis then being on the RH end..

post-3088-0-96487100-1452351415_thumb.jpg

So I wanted to bring the LH end up to standard.

post-3088-0-11184800-1452351447_thumb.jpg

This is what I did.

post-3088-0-67087900-1452351480_thumb.jpg

A view to the left.

post-3088-0-82349500-1452351518_thumb.jpg

A view to the right.

Hintock TQ is a delightful layout to 'play with', it's appealing to the eye, runs exceedingly well and despite its apparent simplicity a challenge to shunt.

Very relaxing and enjoyable. It can be gone to at any time and left equally so. As, of course can the Hintock from which it sprang.

As I have done so many times already and through many a year, I commend the idea of such a 'simple' layout. There is a lot more to one than you might think.

EDIT: as I'm denied for some reason a "thanks" button I'm saying thanks here for the likes and comments. Thank you.

Thanks Nick, the last time I saw any part of England and things English was 25, getting on for 26 years ago. There's very little things English I see today as the scenescape is totally different, as you might imagine in Utah.

I get my remembrance nudged from luscious magzines targerted on the tourist, the TV-think  Downton Abbey and all the wonderful railway heritage shots on Utube. A very useful resource.

Regards,

Morning John,

Whatever your inspiration, as Nick suggests, you've captured the quintessential English countryside and I like the way in all your layouts that it always seems that the railway fits in the scenery, rather than the scenery being fitted to the railway. In simpler words, it looks as if the scenery was there first!

Lovely set of images as usual,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Jock, first, I hope things are looking better for you and your recuperation is proceeding well.

Second, those are perceptive and kind words. In building my layouts I always do consider very much the eventual scene and can see it in my mind's eye from the beginning. That's perhaps why the railway fits the scene so well. After all the Vale of Hintock was there long before the Hintock Banch and the GWR/SR arrived in Dorset.

It's part of my thinking the thing through from the outset.

Glad too you liked the pictures.

Thanks Nick, the last time I saw any part of England and things English was 25, getting on for 26 years ago. There's very little things English I see today as the scenescape is totally different, as you might imagine in Utah.

I get my remembrance nudged from luscious magzines targerted on the tourist, the TV-think  Downton Abbey and all the wonderful railway heritage shots on Utube. A very useful resource.

Regards,

You can't beat Youtube John for getting some inspiration, some of it comes via a chap in Utah posting about a certain Hintock Branch :sungum:

John,

Firstly a warm new year greetings to you from 'downunder' here in New Zealand. I have been over in Australia visiting family for a couple of weeks and only now catching up with correspondence. I therefore acknowledge and thank you for your recent seasonal greetings John. I have caught up with your recent modelling advances and they are going very nicely-as others have also acknowledged.

My poor old Hawkinsfield junction is feeling neglected as I have not ventured down into the railway room for some time, what with holidays and the part time work. And we thought retirement was to free up time!! It may well be a while until I have the energy to get back down there and finish the electrifying of the storage yard points (now 3 storage lines in each direction instead of the former 2 and 3 respectively).

Continue to inspire us John I certainly need it at the moment.

regards, Andy R

AndyR, happy to hear from you and glad that your family festivities went well over in Oz. Further that you found the catch-up interesting and I hope inspiring. I must admit I'm well pleased with the results. They too inspire me.

You are quite right about being busy in retirement. That's what it is all about providing, it's being busy for the right reasons and following the right pursuit(s).

One cannot force these things and I find that if I'm not getting on with individual matters then probably something is wrong with them, ie, they don't look right. In building my new Port Bredy I got stuck like that, so left it and did something else. One morning I woke up realizing what was wrong, corrected it and things have gone swimmingly since that eureka moment.

So don't despair. Your inspiration will return. Getting stuck into a chore you'd sooner not do-like electrical work upside down-get it done and move on.

All good wishes for 2016.

John.

post-3088-0-48749700-1452703113_thumb.jpg

Andy R, does this assist you?

What we have is the14xx with autocoach arriving mid-morning at Hintock from Weymouth and to which it will return within twenty minutes.The SR goods with the 700 will then leave from the loop to shunt the stations along the branch and eventually work back to Dorchester SR. These are the kind of workings you can imagine on Hawkinsfield.

And, also to meet AndyP's comment that no post is complete without a picure.

(Not one of my better ones, for it would have been better if I'd removed beforehand the camera tripod and cables.)

Edited: to explain the workings featured and to say thanks for the likes.

I went hunting for the Tripod and Cables after reading your post, I was to engrossed looking at how busy Hintock was today, wonderful.

I picked up a rather nice M7 today so that may be seen on a Local to Pencarne from Wadebridge tomorrow.

Hey John -thanks for your wise observations and for another lovely picture...that Weymouth train could well have turned off at Hawkinsfield Junction up the line...in our imagination anyway.

regards, Andy R

post-3088-0-78039200-1452772950_thumb.jpg

Thank you AndyP, AndyR and George for those kind comments.

AndyP, you won't be disappointed with your M7 on Pencarne, nor AndyR when you get one for Hawkinsfield and George with the 700. They are both sweet runners.

All these had me looking for some images. The above is an earlier image before the corner was improved, and shows a SR train from Yeovil, a M7 with the customary two coaches, running in; that below on another occasion, the same working but this time with a van, entering the platform.

M7's are well suited to this duty, they are too very graceful appearing locos, Drummond at his best, dainty yet workmanlike. And the 700's purposeful, capable and in their way equally graceful.

post-3088-0-78039200-1452772950_thumb.jpg

PS, once again the same image twice,it rather spoils the post but double rations cant be bad.

post-3088-0-27667700-1452772791_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Lovely images, John. The M7 is a smashing loco, one of my favourites and one of Hornby's best to date. I have a couple in British Railways livery and rather fancy a Maunsell green jobby.

Perhaps one will grace my rather modest effort........

Rob.

Rob, Those appreciative words on the satisfaction to be derived from small layouts as yours (no name yet) and my Hintock TQ encouraged me to post on some progress with Port Bredy. (Work on laying track has come to a temporary halt as I'm waiting on a delivery from my model shop 5,000 miles distant in Liverpool.)

post-3088-0-83428400-1453141197_thumb.jpg

The Port Bredy station building and stationmaster's house of card and dowel stiffening. The building is loosely based on those at Abbotsbury and Powerstock, the house that at Corfe Castle.

post-3088-0-92274300-1453141253_thumb.jpg

Assembled and covered with Slater's plasicard.

post-3088-0-69302400-1453141366_thumb.jpg

From the rear. These will be close up to the back scene so there's no point in adding detail.

post-3088-0-67799200-1453141409_thumb.jpg

The buldings sited and showing their relationship. It also shows the final(?) track formation. The board is a little over 6'0 long-so small and compact and easy enough to handle.

Archived