The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Hello John

I'm in France at moment and l'm sending my good lady home to pick up a copy of the said magazine in time for Xmas.

Your layout is stunning and I will be following with the greatest of interest.

Regards John.

post-3088-0-97477800-1513441015_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen, your interest is much appreciated and thanks to those who commended my efforts and to those who remarked upon them. As well to all those others who just looked in.

I'm glad you enjoyed the article and found something of merit in it. My print copy has not arrived yet but Steve Flint kindly sent me a low resolution virtual one. I wrote it probably about twelve months ago so it was a pleasure to see it again and how nicely Steve presented it.

Of course, since it was drafted there have been changes and I like to think to the good, with Port Bredy becoming more ex L&SWR and at Hintock Redux more GWR. No doubt all these will be the subject of a further article telling why and how.

I make no excuses for repeating these two images of familiar scenes for to me they epitomize the SR scene in the SW Dorset of the 1930's. The M7 with its train of ex L&SWR coaches working  to Templecombe and the Adams with its single Maunsell coach tripping comfortably back to Charford. And, both with the invariable van.

post-3088-0-31797000-1513441048_thumb.jpg

Liam, thank you for those kind words as I do thank other members for their interest.

I have much to be thankful for and my wants are simple.

But I do have a Dean Goods on order; however, it doesn't look likely to arrive before the 25th. Any time thereafter will do just as well.

My regards to all,

Thanks Andy, glad you enjoyed the read and liked the photos. Steve Flint always does me proud.

I haven't yet seen the print version only the low resolution version. I wrote the article probably twelve months ago and on re-reading it, like you, enjoyed it as it came over in a refreshing manner.

Yes, I'm getting my years in and I'm thankful to have done so, but I never like to tempt Providence and make the most of each day as it comes.

• RMweb Gold

Christmas greetings to you also John. It's been good to watch Port Bredy develop this year, and what a result. Apart from everything else, I greatly admire your ability to make everything fit together naturally. 

Mikkel and Mike,

I hope you do not mind my responding to your good wishes and kind words in the one post, for apart from all else there is a lot in common between them. Not least the progress on Port Bredy in the last year. I've noted this in looking through my images over that time.

I do think about these things and it's something I dealt with in my January RM article and that is how a good back story helps matters along. For there is a common backbone, as it were, to what's going on. The common thread that holds it altogether. And which currently I have been able to bring to the fore in Port Bredy's L&SWR provenance.

That's not the whole story for there's no doubt that the offerings from the model trade have played a large part (in alphabetical order) of Bachmann, Hornby, Kernow and Oxford.

It's also enabled me to credibly create in my part of SW Dorset, such a scene as this.

post-3088-0-31902400-1513880972_thumb.jpg

Thank you Robin, and equally so to you.

My print copy of RM has not yet arrived (not surprising this time of the year) and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Port Bredy has turned out very well and I'm glad others enjoy it too.

So I'm attaching this particularly for you and members who too, have expressed their pleasure in it..

Compliments of the Season to you all.

post-3088-0-01164600-1514131327_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-16293100-1514179600_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-73399500-1514179625_thumb.jpg

Running into Port Bredy ...

post-3088-0-10599800-1514179663_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-94197600-1514179730_thumb.jpg

...running round...

post-3088-0-56737500-1514179765_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-30321700-1514179801_thumb.jpg

..and leaving.

post-3088-0-60053100-1514179832_thumb.jpg

Santa Kernow brought me a Christmas surprise.

(It was a surprise for I had ordered long ago and forgotten all about them until an email from Santa K told me they were on their way.)

And just in time for my Christmas stocking.

Happy Christmas!

Yes, Colin got it right with comparing his grandchildren's delight to that of mine and I'm glad I could share it with fellow members. Thank you for your support.

Now, after a visit to the weathering shop and other work the set will form the local M7 powered service between Port Bredy and Charford.

It will be at home there for not least of my reasons is that it brings back happy memories of when I was a small boy and traveling in such stock on the Portland Branch. And standing in the open vestibule behind the gate as the train left Melcombe Regis, climbed to Rodwell and then ran along the shores of Chesil Beach and Portland Harbour full of RN vessels, then ascended across the wild East Weares with the view across Weymouth Bay to the further shores and the English Channel and, with a final steep gradient ran into the little station of Easton atop the Isle of Portland.

All a small boys delight.

post-3088-0-02430200-1514227369_thumb.jpg

This has been posted previously bu some may not have seen it. I'm the small boy standing in the vestibule with my mother and two sisters. The lady on the platform with her dog is an aunt.

Taken by my father probably in 1936/7.

( The photo too might interest O2 and gate stock frothers.)

Archived