The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

attachicon.gif HTK_1438-1.jpg

Hi John,

Thanks for your concerns and to others for their interest.

As regards the weather currently it's breezy, fresh and the sun shining but clouds are gathering in the NW with a Winter Storm Watch in effect later today and up to 7" of snow forecast.

In other respects I've been busy with several projects, one of which I detail above and below with the others following.

attachicon.gifHTK_1438-1.jpg

Again, the original GWR pattern Signal Box.

attachicon.gifHTK_0578-1.jpg

When I adopted the L&SWR ambience I used this Bachmann rtp item. Good in its way but it always had the affect on me as appearing more like a cuckoo in the nest. 

So, I did something about, as the next demonstrate.

attachicon.gifHTK_1311-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_1313-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_1422-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_1423-1.jpg

Enough said, I think.

attachicon.gifHTK_1464-1.jpg

All good wishes,

John.

PS, once more the images got garbled, this below/above-if it shows is of the original GWR type, scratch built Box.

I really like the last picture John - if you dont mind remind me how you made the port water look so realistic?

regards from sunny, hot and humid NZ

Andy R

Andy R,

You were kindly inquiring about my water feature on Port Bredy and I'm not sure if your particular interest is in the "water" itself or the feature as a whole. But as the subject itself is quite an interesting one I'd thought I might respond with the larger subject. And, I'm sure too others are interested.

To do that I've trawled through my images and then below to show the progress, posted them more or less consecutively.

I do however, need to say that the successful result as in so many endeavours, owes more than a little to happenstance.

post-3088-0-67847300-1519141643_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-33621900-1519141774_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-90366200-1519141909_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-42775500-1519142072_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-18145000-1519142123_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-17000300-1519142185_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-96069400-1519142214_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-83279400-1519142241_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-16063600-1519142258_thumb.jpg

The liquid was poured-not brushed- generously and allowed to flow with a little encouragement as it would. The few bubbles that appeared were pierced and they generally disappeared. When set I added other coats over the top,

In about 36 hours it had totally dried out with a hard surface.-mind you that was in the heat of summer.

The under colours were a mixture of various shade of green with areas of brown. This is to represent the locale: its the tidal portion of the outlet of the River Brede to the sea. It's not fast running and this area is slowly silting up. There is no longer any commercial traffic to the quay and it's used as moorings for the odd small craft.

If there are any questions I'd be happy to answer.

Andy R,

You were kindly inquiring about my water feature on Port Bredy and I'm not sure if your particular interest is in the "water" itself or the feature as a whole. But as the subject itself is quite an interesting one I'd thought I might respond with the larger subject. And, I'm sure too others are interested.

To do that I've trawled through my images and then below to show the progress, posted them more or less consecutively.

I do however, need to say that the successful result as in so many endeavours, owes more than a little to happenstance.

attachicon.gifDSCN5442-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0158_01.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0163_01.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0415_01.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0482-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0571-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5792-1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0021-1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0026-1.jpg

The liquid was poured-not brushed- generously and allowed to flow with a little encouragement as it would. The few bubbles that appeared were pierced and they generally disappeared. When set I added other coats over the top,

In about 36 hours it had totally dried out with a hard surface.-mind you that was in the heat of summer.

The under colours were a mixture of various shade of green with areas of brown. This is to represent the locale: its the tidal portion of the outlet of the River Brede to the sea. It's not fast running and this area is slowly silting up. There is no longer any commercial traffic to the quay and it's used as moorings for the odd small craft.

Brillig as usual- John your how to's are not wasted on us

Gentlemen, thank you for your expressions of interest.

Once again it's a winters day, well, of course it is being February, and at 0900 -12C 11F, and now not much warmer being overcast with snow showers, so it naturally makes me think of some Port Bredy sunshine.

First in uncropped form, as this:-

post-3088-0-99578100-1519322676_thumb.jpg

And this in attenuated form and some loss of clarity. But it still makes a nice picture.

post-3088-0-62081200-1519322756_thumb.jpg

Now to business: I endeavour to operate my Hintock Branch in a railway like fashion and that where appropriate includes loaded wagons. And nothing worse in my opinion, is full coal wagons in what are outward "empty" goods trains. 

These illustrate my solution,

post-3088-0-43032600-1519323127_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-42943900-1519323155_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-69338400-1519323181_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-11336300-1519323206_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-06807700-1519323230_thumb.jpg

The pins are as yet unpainted but they will be.

And as a final note it's real coal brought back from my visit with Nicholas to the Festiniog and Welsh Highland Railway in 2016.

• RMweb Premium

Once again it's a winters day, well, of course it is being February, and at 0900 -12C 11F, and now not much warmer being overcast with snow showers, so it naturally makes me think of some Port Bredy sunshine.

attachicon.gifHTK_1512-1.jpg

And this in attenuated form and some loss of clarity. But it still makes a nice picture.

attachicon.gifHTK_1512-5.jpg

Now to business: I endeavour to operate my Hintock Branch in a railway like fashion and that where appropriate includes loaded wagons. And nothing worse in my opinion, is full coal wagons in what are outward "empty" goods trains. 

attachicon.gifHTK_1472-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_1490-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_1492-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_1493-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_1527-1.jpg

And as a final note it's real coal brought back from my visit with Nicholas to the Festiniog and Welsh Highland Railway in 2016.

Very nice John. From the photo I guess that you are using some sort of foam for the base - can we have more details please?

I used real coal for wagon loads, a few years ago, since then some of it has turned a nice shade of brown (!!??) So have 're-coaled' with fake stuff. :scratchhead:

Paul, that hasn't happened to me-yet.

But what I will say is that this Welsh coal when broken up is very dusty and, its a question of shaking it out to retain only the coal itself. Thus the old tea strainer and the two containers.

Very nice John. From the photo I guess that you are using some sort of foam for the base - can we have more details please?

Glad you like it St E, it does the job nicely. and was from out of my "come in handy" box.

It originated in the packing of a new  Lenovo lap top computer and is the material that can be seen in the first relevant image in the top RH corner. It was free, a nice dark colour, not needing painting, easy to work and a handy thickness.

I tried it initially without adding coal and didn't look too bad. Adding the real coal improves it no end. It too is a snug fit, the pin is not too noticeable and is readily lifted in and out as occasion demands..

• RMweb Premium

Glad you like it St E, it does the job nicely. and was from out of my "come in handy" box.

It originated in the packing of a new  Lenovo lap top computer and is the material that can be seen in the first relevant image in the top RH corner. It was free, a nice dark colour, not needing painting, easy to work and a handy thickness.

I tried it initially without adding coal and didn't look too bad. Adding the real coal improves it no end. It too is a snug fit, the pin is not too noticeable and is readily lifted in and out as occasion demands..

Thanks John. Yes, I saw the corner of the sheet in the photo and thought it looked like foam. Thanks for confirming that.

Hmmm, sounds like I need a new laptop. Do you think I'll get that past the investment review panel (of 1)?

My Dell came in more eco friendly paper :)

Colin

• RMweb Gold

But what I will say is that this Welsh coal when broken up is very dusty and, its a question of shaking it out to retain only the coal itself. Thus the old tea strainer and the two containers.

I wonder if the coal is actually Polish or Russian as some of that tends to be very dusty and a number of steam railways were using it at one time (possibly still are as not much else is available nowadays).  Going back a good few years the only Welsh coal you could get that was any use for steam locos was some privately mined stuff from a small pit above Rhymney, not much different from the Western Valley coal the GWR was fond of so it burnt beautifully with low ash but it cost over £20 per ton more than the less friable English mined East Midlands coal (which was what most mainline operators used back then).

I hope it doesn't, it was probably me using the wrong coal, some cheap slatey soft coal like certain preserved railways were using a few years ( well 10 or so) ago imported from Poland.

As always gentlemen your interest is appreciated. Thank you.

post-3088-0-94303000-1519570966_thumb.jpg

And, next to the question of removable coal loads to wagons is that of the interior when empty, for nothing looks worse than shiny plastic..

There a wash of charcoal colour-not dead black, some dilute white glue and a sprinkle of powdered coal nicely does the trick.

post-3088-0-52560000-1519571212_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-49219000-1519571253_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-03168800-1519571280_thumb.jpg

In some images (I have others) s the lifting pins appear rather obtrusive and that is because of their back ground. In reality they are far less so and can of course, be trimmed back. The problem is then seeing them when one needs to remove the load.

attachicon.gifHTK_1512-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_1512-5.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_1472-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_1490-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_1492-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_1493-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_1527-1.jpg

I used a similar system on Wencombe and Kingsbridge Regis. I used old pan scourer sponges so they could be slightly squeezed to release the load from the wagon. I used the same thing in my spent ballast wagons.

Very effective, as usual, John.

Just wondering if that amount of coal would've been left in the empty wagons in those days. If I recall, the merchants would give the wagons a quick sweep, so as not to lose any of their precious (and paid for) coal.

Thanks Peter, quite right.

Probably I could get that result with a sharp rap to the wagon as soon as sprinkled, but I got a bit carried away as I was doing one wagon after another and I haven't been back since.

An Ex Coal Merchant once told me that they always swept out even the Dust into the Bags, for the reason Peter K gives above.

Lovely pics though John.

Thanks Andy glad you, and others liked the pictures.

I don't doubt this practice was followed and in support I can now with these reminders, remember my mother complaining about the quality of domestic coal and its make up of small coal and dust. Mind you this was during WW2, 1939-45 and after when things were pretty grim.

Even so, swept out wagon bottoms would be far from pristine and show more than traces of loads of loose coal. There, on one wagon I gave the bottom a brisk brush with a stiff bristled brush and the effect is very satisfactory.

Much better and I'm glad the matter has been raised.

Hi John,

how about a tiny strip of galv steel strapping taped or glued to the underside of the load and a small magnet will then lift the load out when required?

Colin

I use a similar method but with a screw head painted black as my coal glued to a balsa block.

Thank you Colin and Ron for those suggestions from OZ, the subject is now on my "to do" list. It will certainly improve their appearance.

And, whilst posting:

post-3088-0-05845300-1519675404_thumb.jpg

two images that on first glance looked OK, but not on closer examination.

post-3088-0-46539100-1519675438_thumb.jpg

However, this one looks alright, though it could be sharper. Next time maybe for it's a location that shows promise...

post-3088-0-71895200-1519675545_thumb.jpg

Andy R,

DSCN5442-1.jpg

DSCN0158_01.JPG

DSCN0163_01.JPG

DSCN0415_01.JPG

DSCN0482-1.jpg

DSCN0571-1.jpg

DSCN5792-1.jpg

IMG_0021-1.jpg

IMG_0026-1.jpg

Archived