The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Hi John - many thanks for your informative response to my query. Apologies for not checking this earlier. As others have said, you always give great information on your techniques. Simple and effective thanks.

As usual my summer modelling is very slow here with part time work, family stuff and helping others on their layouts. Retirement seems to generate distractions!

Keep up the good work - Andy R

Andy R,

You were kindly inquiring about my water feature on Port Bredy and I'm not sure if your particular interest is in the "water" itself or the feature as a whole. But as the subject itself is quite an interesting one I'd thought I might respond with the larger subject. And, I'm sure too others are interested.

To do that I've trawled through my images and then below to show the progress, posted them more or less consecutively.

I do however, need to say that the successful result as in so many endeavours, owes more than a little to happenstance.

DSCN5442-1.jpg

DSCN0158_01.JPG

DSCN0163_01.JPG

DSCN0415_01.JPG

DSCN0482-1.jpg

DSCN0571-1.jpg

DSCN5792-1.jpg

IMG_0021-1.jpg

IMG_0026-1.jpg

The liquid was poured-not brushed- generously and allowed to flow with a little encouragement as it would. The few bubbles that appeared were pierced and they generally disappeared. When set I added other coats over the top,

In about 36 hours it had totally dried out with a hard surface.-mind you that was in the heat of summer.

The under colours were a mixture of various shade of green with areas of brown. This is to represent the locale: its the tidal portion of the outlet of the River Brede to the sea. It's not fast running and this area is slowly silting up. There is no longer any commercial traffic to the quay and it's used as moorings for the odd small craft.

If there are any questions I'd be happy to answer.

The Staging Yard (yes, I prefer that term to Fiddle yard) is an important element in any working layout yet it seems to me they are rarely, if ever featured. Not so with me as the following demonstrate.

post-3088-0-49150700-1520098504_thumb.jpg

These two are of the yard at Hintock Redux that I rebuilt fairly recently, by removing two three way points and substituting a ladder formation. In so doing I lost a road but now the yard is much more convenient to use.  

post-3088-0-01536800-1520098529_thumb.jpg

The next three are of that at Port Bredy in a slightly different format to make best use of the space. There was some temptation to use the corner for scenic purposes but I decided against it. It would not have added much in scenic terms, the layout would have been less manageable and a longer and wider yard along the return wall would have taken up space above the table below.

post-3088-0-49692700-1520099033_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-50084600-1520099065_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-68008800-1520099092_thumb.jpg

And lastly two more traditional views of Port Bredy.

post-3088-0-41030500-1520099193_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-66333300-1520099218_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

As always an interesting post with photos full of useful ideas.

I guess losing a road in your staging yard is rather a good example of "less is more" , which I wish I had adopted when I

laid out Granby's yard.......mine are far too close

Did you have any running problems with the 3 waypoints? I have taken one out and am now slowly building up the courage to replace the other

Best wishes

John

Hi John

As always an interesting post with photos full of useful ideas.

I guess losing a road in your staging yard is rather a good example of "less is more" , which I wish I had adopted when I

laid out Granby's yard.......mine are far too close

Did you have any running problems with the 3 waypoints? I have taken one out and am now slowly building up the courage to replace the other

Best wishes

John

Hi John, I hope the other John won't mind me butting in on his thread,  but I had a 9 Road Storage / Fiddle / Staging Yard on Pencarne similar to John's, and found it just right for my WR / SR BLT. But on Kings Moreton I now have 16 Roads, all are full and far to close together, and a real pain.

Less is more, I think you'll find, just as John F, has here.

Superb.

John and Scott, thanks for your comments, yes space is the issue and I'm much happier with one less road and the ease of handling stock and general management of the yard .Truly less is more-as so often is the case.

Of course, it means I have one less train to operate and the train withdrawn was the through coaches from Birkenhead (Woodside) via Granby to Hintock Redux. However, this was a Summer Only service especially for patrons of the GWR"s Pennsylvania Castle Hotel and their needs are dealt with by way of  connecting branch line trains at the Junction.

Attached shows the earlier installation of the two points in question and the consequent cramping of the yard.

post-3088-0-56892700-1520196279_thumb.jpg

Good afternoon John

I have been reading this thread in its entirety over the last few days with something akin to awe. There is some truly stunning modelling on here, various aspects of which I will strive later to steal emulate. However, something about the picture above niggled at me as being 'off' and I couldn't for a long time place what it was. Then I realised: how would the telegraph wires get past the signal? (I appreciate that it may just be a trick of perspective, but knowing your desire to get everything 'just so' and adhering to reasonable operational fidelity, it struck me that my observation may be of use to you. It is offered entirely in a spirit of happily constructive criticism: like I say, there is much to excite admiration in the various points of the Hintock branchline you have modelled!)

All the very best,

Gavin

Good Evening Gavin,

Those are very kind and generous comments. Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Hintock and I shall be pleased if you visit again. Please feel free to borrow any of my ideas and if you have questions, as might others, I'm always happy to answer.

You raise a valid point and it is one that particular photo shows so well and where the camera is a useful, and cruel modelling tool for it reveals all the faults.

The question is what I should do about it and your post has made me take action. I must admit at the time I did not consider properly the run of the telephone wires and the difficulty raised by your keen eye requires a solution.

My first thought was to put the signal in the 6'0 and bring the telephone pole forward and the line would then run freely toward the pole outside of the Signal Box. This is possible, as these working images photos show, but the signal then is prone to damage. It also is a rather clumsy composition.

post-3088-0-87897700-1520539804_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-48029200-1520539843_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-85632700-1520539873_thumb.jpg

So, I thought again and below is how I intend to deal with the matter. The disc on the signal post refers to entry to the goods yard and the disc on the ground entry to the private siding. And this, subject to any comments from Mike, The Stationmaster (should he see this post) I shall implement.

I hope you approve too. It's been a useful exercise and the result, a practical and with that a neater composition.

post-3088-0-69079200-1520540226_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-00277000-1520540251_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-93237800-1520540436_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-52098300-1520540472_thumb.jpg

Every good wish for success with your PhD.

post-3088-0-82214600-1520710102_thumb.jpg

The alterations at Hintock Redux left me with this vacant space next the Brewery.

post-3088-0-14140800-1520710125_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-69208400-1520710165_thumb.jpg

They also made this building surplus to requirements.

post-3088-0-09522000-1520710222_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-54145300-1520710267_thumb.jpg

Not believing in wasting anything I cut it in half  and removed those several bits attached leaving me with this that required the adding of false fronts.

post-3088-0-33786300-1520710726_thumb.jpg

And I got this.

post-3088-0-54718800-1520710359_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-54718800-1520710359_thumb.jpg

The final result. New premises for the Carr Brothers to carry on their business of manufacturing among other things their famed corduroy trousers and the motto known throughout the West Country of- "never go to work without them."

All that now remains to be done is to put it in place, which is another story.

post-3088-0-44724700-1520710331_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_0982-2.jpg

The alterations at Hintock Redux left me with this vacant space next the Brewery.

attachicon.gifDSCN3842-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN4602-1.jpg

They also made this building surplus to requirements.

attachicon.gifHTK_1240-2.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_1264-1.jpg

Not believing in wasting anything I cut it in half  and removed those several bits attached leaving me with this that required the adding of false fronts.

attachicon.gifHTK_1266-1.jpg

And I got this.

attachicon.gifHTK_1432-1.jpg

attachicon.gifHTK_1432-1.jpg

The final result. New premises for the Carr Brothers to carry on their business of manufacturing among other things their famed corduroy trousers and the motto known throughout the West Country of- "never go to work without them."

All that now remains to be done is to put it in place, which is another story.

Hi John, I hope your well, I've sent you an E-Mail.

Love the Building above.

Thanks Andy, yes and perhaps I should have made matters more clear; the first image in post 2262 is of the new works at Hintock Redux with the vacant space to the L of the Brewery, the second and third of Carr's Mill in its original form at the old location.

The new Jubilee Mill will go to the vacant space.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

John, I am a little in awe how you just happily "dig" into your layout to expand the woodwork and add new features. 

The 91 pages have been truly inspiring, with lots of great ideas I hope to be able to emulate.

Generous words Anthony, thank you and welcome to RMweb and the Hintock Branch. I hope you will be a regular visitor and always feel free to "borrow" any ideas that inspire you.

I have never necessarily, as you recognize,felt constrained by the conventional rectangular basement for with some contrivance and crude carpentry it's boundaries can be beneficially broadened.

As these images demonstrate.

post-3088-0-67031400-1521479661_thumb.jpg

An improved LH end to Hintock Redux but cramped and not very original.

post-3088-0-15646500-1521479689_thumb.jpg

Bodgery at work adding to the LH end.

post-3088-0-07524200-1521479726_thumb.jpg

A very pleasing result.

post-3088-0-24632000-1521480082_thumb.jpg

That in turn, with some reduction to the baseboard in the immediate foreground leads to this-and a work in progress.

Generous words Anthony, thank you and welcome to RMweb and the Hintock Branch. I hope you will be a regular visitor and always feel free to "borrow" any ideas that inspire you.

I have never necessarily, as you recognize,felt constrained by the conventional rectangular basement for with some contrivance and crude carpentry it's boundaries can be beneficially broadened.

As these images demonstrate.

attachicon.gifDSCN3386-1.jpg

An improved LH end to Hintock Redux but cramped and not very original.

attachicon.gifDSCN3618-2.jpg

Bodgery at work adding to the LH end.

attachicon.gifDSCN0029-1.jpg

A very pleasing result.

attachicon.gifHTK_1163-1.jpg

That in turn, with some reduction to the baseboard in the immediate foreground leads to this-and a work in progress.

Hi John,

Not sure what happened there, maybe a computer wobble.

My post was meant to say... That's not Bodgery that's witchcraft or should I say craftsmanship!

I would like to ask what are the red dots on the points? and are your sleeper spacings based on a prototype for the region modelled? It feels and looks great but I have seldom seen this on other layouts. I'm interested because I shall be laying some track on my own humble effort as soon as I can make a final decision on the track plan and would like it to look as good as yours.

I hope that you are keeping well.

Kind regards John

post-3088-0-57580000-1521596839_thumb.jpg

Hi John,

Thank you for persisting and your complimentary remarks as well as the inquiry about my welfare, thanks too for members for their likes of that last post.

You were inquiring about the track used; its American Atlas HO code 100. I use it because, with an 80 mile or so round drive I can purchase it readily at a reasonable cost. To import Peco Streamline is exceedingly expensive and I'm content with the Atlas.

Alright it's not prototypical in terms of sleeper size and spacing but looks near enough for me and I have no problems with running. The points are Peco and those I can get at a reasonable cost from a well known establishment in the NW of the UK.

As to the red dots they are the heads of drawing pins I use to secure the track prior to gluing down and ballasting.

I think also these two images present the track in a good light.

It's interesting too that you are the first individual in all my years of using Atlas, it who has remarked upon it.

All good wishes,

post-3088-0-08801000-1521596861_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gif2016-01-11 03.27.14-1.jpg

Time for a Port Bredy update; progress has been slow due to demands and other interests but the buildings all have been painted, most of them now possess windows and doors and roofs are being added. Then will come the fun stuff with gutters, downspouts and so on.

attachicon.gif2016-05-28 07.29.48-1.jpg

However, I had done very little toward the front scenery prior to my trip to Montana. I must admit to feeling a little jaded-it just didn't seem right. But 1300 odd miles of driving on my own in fresh surroundings gave me plenty of time to think.

attachicon.gif2016-05-28 07.23.14-1.jpg

By the time of my return I had worked out what I needed to do.

attachicon.gif2016-05-28 07.24.49-1.jpg

Here we are: new ground and harbour wall loosely placed. I quite like the angular affect. I don't like the heavy relief on these Wills walls and that I intend to reduce with a good rub down. These will be painted off the layout and added when done.

The track is laid, it still requires somepaint and ballast but trains do run. The code 75 track looks well. (And, I've even thought about re-laying Hintock with it.)

attachicon.gif2016-05-28 07.25.21-1.jpg

And amidst all these carrrying's on Hintock sits serenely around the walls. It's fully operable and a nice distraction at times.

Hi John,

I'm researching materials for walls and recall your comments on the excessively heavy relief of Wills card. Do you still use this material or do you have other suggestions for what material I could use?

I also spotted your comment on Code 75 on PB, you mentioned you were using American Atlas HO code 100 on Hintock, was PB a trial run that you didn't find suitable?

Colin

post-3088-0-45811500-1521728330_thumb.jpg

Hi Colin,

Like so many questions, the answer is it all depends.

Here, what kind of wall is it and what purpose does it serve?

Is it in the nature of a civil engineering work, or in a domestic, commercial or industrial building?

What materials are to be used, stone, brick, timber?

Alright, I've gone the long way round but these aspects need to be considered; however, I assume you are thinking of stone as at HRx and  PB.

There I used the Wills product for the quay wall because it better represents what would generally be used and it is an engineering work. Elsewhere for everyday structures I've used a variety of Slater's products. The former I find very hard to work with and to look "right" in my eyes need a sanding down to reduce the depth of the joints. The latter come in different guises with  coursed and random stone on offer and are readily cut.

I've done a quick search of my images and a close examination of these two will reveal (faults in my workmanship) and the different Slater's products used.

Regarding the track I used Code 75 on PB as a trial. I couldn't get on with it, it's appearance didn't appeal nor did I think it very robust. so I switched to Code 100.

For HSL as you know I'm using the Atlas Code 100. Looks OK to me and is robust.

post-3088-0-98596300-1521728374_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

It is with great sadness that I find myself having to inform all of John's friends and followers here on RMweb that he passed away suddenly on Sunday. His son Nicholas who I met with John when they visited the UK a little while ago informed me last night. Apparently John collapsed on his way to Church.

I am travelling most of today but I will post some more details and something in the obituary section when I get home this evening.

John will be missed by all of us.

Archived