The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

post-3088-0-28432200-1346341642_thumb.jpg

In response to requests from Nick, and others, here is an up to date track plan of Hintock. It will, I hope, enable more sense to be made of images posted to date and in the future.

All of this is regarded as being within the Station Limits.

To the L off stage there are imagined to be the Down Sidings and the goods only branch to Port Bredy, and similarly to the R (in the fiddle yard) the Up Sidings, engine shed and carriages sidings with continuance of the Branch onward to Hintock Junction.

Broadly the layout was built in three phases, 1, the top area plus a small fiddle yard, 2, the lower and 3, enhancements to both and an enlarged fiddle yard.

The LH side of phase 1 incorporated much of a layout I built in the 1980's known variously as Melbury or Hintock and that featured several times in SMT.

This we brought from the UK when my wife and I immigrated to the USA in 1990. It sat idle in its packing case in Montana whilst I went 'American' HO, until I rehabilitated it in northern Utah after moving home and starting work on Hintock in 2008.

post-3088-0-05610800-1346524325_thumb.jpg

When the Hintock B set is unavailable this Weymouth autocoach and 1400 are used, and here with Weymouth driver Jim Cuthbert.

The coach and 1400 are original Airfix. The coach has a re-painted roof and now Bachmann bogies, the 1400 lightly weathered with coal, crew and lamps. Despite being re-motored and traction tires removed it remains an indifferent runner, and as I don't accept that it is little used. But it looks good in photos.

post-3088-0-81013700-1346524741_thumb.jpg

If the barge boards of the signal box catch your attention the box is in course of being painted by the District Engineer's painting crew and these not got round to yet. The Kadee magnets have also since been removed as has the cattle pen been moved elsewhere.

post-3088-0-54953400-1346796086_thumb.jpg

The fiddle yard is what enables me to run the trains on Hintock and above is the enlarged one that is so essential for that.

I enhanced it by an extension of 6" to a length of 5'0 and a widening of 2" to about 17". On it there are7 roads laid out in a traditional manner and the longest of which will comfortably accommodate goods trains of 8 wagons plus loco and brake van.

This is it in an unfinished state.

The other benefit was both an operational and scenic one and this is seen below.

Further posts will show the process.

post-3088-0-12951500-1346796543_thumb.jpg

Continuing this saga here is how matters progressed. And the images are, I hope, largely self explanatory.

post-3088-0-41532300-1346813962_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-16516600-1346814029_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-16516600-1346814029_thumb.jpg

The second image appears twice unfortunately. The top of the back scene is cut back in that fashion to allow easier access and so I can more easily see what is going on from my usual operating position. The front area also required widening and this I did by attaching a blister.

The mock up was knocked up to establish what manner of building would best suit that location.

As can be seen the extended siding runs from the middle siding at Sheepcroft.

post-3088-0-74839400-1346814070_thumb.jpg

Hi John

A very good model which I shall continue to follow as I build my own and hope to match some of your standards. I also use mock ups to check position against photographs and have had to re-adjust several times, including adding an extension.

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more updates.

Jim

Hi

Having only lately "discovered" this thread, I freely admit to having missed out. I have come to know the district in which the model is set, (having learned to ring, and included a number of quarter-peals in the churches served by this branch), and am particularly attracted to such a high-grade model representation . I hope that I may be forgiven if I look at your scenery photos with the intention of adapting the ideas to suit my SR needs.

PB

Jim and Peter, those were kind comments and appreciated.

JIm,mock-ups certainly are useful. This one started at twice this height and that proved it was going to be high. It then appeared obtrusive and also blocked my view of the fiddle yard. So I cut it down and now it's about right as later photos will demonstrate.

Peter, yes, this is definitely madding crowd (that I have just re-read) and Hardy country although I've taken liberties with his geography. My Dorset roots also go back a long way. Please feel free to use any of my ideas. I have deliberately kept the scenery simple and actually there's not really much of it beyond the railway boundary. All I have done is to hint at it.

Taking this further here is the next stage. Again the images are largely self-explanatory.

post-3088-0-15161500-1346903400_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-99176900-1346903472_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-76290100-1346903562_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-53855900-1346903525_thumb.jpg

Here also will be seen my method of construction, that is I use good quality framing card.

Any questions please ask. The scene is now coming to life.

Hintock Farmer's Trading Society's building is now shown complete.

post-3088-0-06734700-1347034133_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-39708400-1347034174_thumb.jpg

[

attachment=204283:009.JPG]

post-3088-0-53537200-1347034338_thumb.jpg

Card was used throughout for the building and roof, the gutters and downspouts are Plastruct and the wooden base finished with Slaters plasticard.

post-3088-0-41375900-1347034244_thumb.jpg

I to remember your Owlcombe layout article, and what a wonderful model it was. I will follow this thread with interest and if my Salcombe Harbour layout turns out half as good as Hinton I will be very pleased. It's a testament to your work that the layout is in such great condition after a trip across the pond, storage and another house move. I look forward to further updates.

Andy, Owlcombe seems to ring bells for many, it was a good small layout, eminently practical, fun to operate and I enjoyed exhibiting it. And it was one too the 'customers' liked. It also won an award at the 1973 Manchester MRS Christmas show.

Hintock did travel well and when I opened it up all those years later I was happy to find it had suffered no damage. I built it initially in the 1970's and some of the original GEM track remains. I'm very pleased with what I have now and that builds on the foundations I then laid.

I do take care in laying track and points as if one does not good reliable running there is no pleasure in operating. The points are Peco with some Peco track on the old portion the remainder is code 100 Atlas HO track that I can get readily as the cost of importing British track is prohibitive. Nobody has, as yet, commented on it. Painted and ballasted it is perfectly acceptable to me.

post-3088-0-39212600-1347207443_thumb.jpg

The above illustrates how snugly the HFTS building fits the space available on the fiddle yard thus making good use of it. The road access to the store is deemed to be on the other side.

Below are the premises of the Hintock Farmer's Trading Society in a greater context. Stores such as these were often found in country goods yards. To this one came feed, fertilizer and seeds along with other items purchased wholesale by the Society for distribution to members.and brought to it by the GWR through the railway owned docks at Avonmouth and Birkenhead.

It was good business for the railways and, of course, also offered advantage to the farmers by cutting out the middleman.

Altogether a pleasing scene. I'm very happy with it.

post-3088-0-51276900-1347208226_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-17767600-1347560018_thumb.jpg

Two more images showing Sheepcroft Yard and where HFTS fits into the scene.

post-3088-0-15497600-1347560114_thumb.jpg

Since this last image was taken the water tower has found (at last) a permanent home and a shunt signal now fitted to the bracket inner home signal. There too is a new PW hut.

At the tower is a Pannier taking water having completed shunting the morning up pick up goods to Hintock Junction and on to Yeovil and left its train standing in the goods loop. When the Prairie runs in with a down passenger train from Weymouth the Pannier will back down and having got the single line token left by the incoming train.depart with its train.

The loop will then be free for the Prairie to run round ready for departure.

post-3088-0-90373700-1347560193_thumb.jpg

Earlier today I had my camera out for another purpose and these scenes caught my eye. They are just quick shots.

In both the bobbly background is apparent this I like because under bright photographic illumination it diffuses the light and is not readily apparent except in close up as here (and others.) It too is not readily discernible in ordinary viewing.

I accept that with Photoshop I could probably get rid of them but until my teen age grand daughter introduces me to its mysteries they will remain.

post-3088-0-03478000-1347679405_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-28135200-1347679952_thumb.jpg

Personally, it doesn't perturb me.

I look at layout pics and either it is painted sky as yours, Painted backscene, photobackscene or no backscene. We are talking of models and each has their own drawback

On one modular layout I was involved with we had ply (3mm) backboard and covered it with plain wallpaper then painted.

I look at layouts as a whole and yours is superb!

Khris

If you hadn't pointed it out I would not have noticed. A background is just that after all, just something to set the scene against. I was so busy looking at the detail of the layout I only noticed a sky background which as you say is what is seen at a normal viewing distance.

Nothing to worry about

Jim

Some may already be aware of Hintock already, others nor so but I aim to build up a thread that will tell the story.

Yes, I saw Hintock in Model Railroad Planning 2011 and was quite impressed. Had I still been working at Kalmbach Publishing, I'm thinking my former colleague David Popp (who's also interested in British outline) and I would have had to arm-wrestle to see which of us got to help Tony Koester with the article! :locomotive:

Gentlemen, those were kind comments and appreciated.

Khris and Jim, the bobbles are not readily apparent at a normal viewing distance, as you say, and only in close up images and that, of course, is understandable. So they do not bother me but they might some. And if any images are considered for publication, as they have and are, I'm happy to leave dealing with them to the Editor.

What matters is the substance, and you rightly point out, and what that conveys not photographic nit picking.

So satisfaction, I think, all round. They didn't affect your pleasure. Nor mine.

Paul, at Kalmbach I dealt with Dana for Hintock, so I didn't have the pleasure of working with you, as I had with him earlier concerning the article in the 2009 issue about my Providence River Branch-American HO layout, I hadn't realized there that was much interest there in British outline and the article itself was apparently well received. Something of a first, I think, for MRP and due to Tony Koester's enlightened attitude.

Peter, yes I'm back to the GWR after building and still enjoying American HO and you have a long memory as my first published article was in the January 1967 MRC concerning my GWR layout Dunnock Edge, then followed several in MRN, Little Hintock in MR and next SMT and it's various guises.

As regards 'space' this seems a fairly constant comment, I'm not altogether sure how I achieve it but possibly it's because I don't clutter or add fussy detail but more likely that none of my buildings etc are to scale. I am more concerned with proportion and whether in shape, size, character and colour etc they look 'right'.

Whatever it is it seems to work.

Dunnock Edge, that was it! Been trying to think of the name.

One picture from that article John, still lingers in the mind. Not a loco or wagon, but a horse and cart on a weighbridge, with an Airfix kit hut suitably adapted as the office.

Somehow the detail in that struck a chord with me.

Regards from a dull and overcast Dorset.

Peter

post-3088-0-73341700-1347812316_thumb.jpg

Peter, a trip down Memory Lane for you but 46 years on; same horse and cart different weighbridge.

The cart was scratch built and I see I noted on it the date of construction 'January 1966'.

Kindest regards, (weather here bright and fresh, sunny and 82F forecast.)

Archived