The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Andy R, always happy to help. With Kadees much is trial error and a lot of patience.

I use mostly #18, 19 and 20, 18's on wagons, 20's on locos. This is a suck and see approach.

I don't use magnets and remove the trip pins, magnets are always in the wrong place and don't always work. For uncoupling I use a shunting pole. I'll post a picture later.

Standardization is the answer; with this you have a better chance of a standard coupling height. I stick to Bachmann. Also I run my wagons in rakes with Kadees on the ends and retain the manufacturers couplings in between.

I have dedicated locos for trains and some sets of stock, for example passenger, milk, fruit and parcels. This is another example of standardization. If it works leave it alone.

This seems rather a perfunctory answer, it is not meant to be, but I commend Kadees whole heartedly and wish you every success.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch again.

• RMweb Gold

Great tip on the shutters pole John. I use thin wooden skewers at the moment, but they need to be the right size ones to open the Kadee knuckles. After using Kadees on all my US stock for years, I had to use them on my British stock, just so much easier for shunting and detaching Bradford portions at Westgate.

I do like how you store the poles too, that is something I need to do on my layout, as the skewers seem like pens, every time I put them down they run away and hide. My theory is that they go somewhere dark to mate, as occasionally I come across a whole heap of them so I am sure they are breeding!

Cheers

Tony

John, you bring up an interesting subject- KDs.

My pannier coupling is perfectly in line with the KD gauge but all the other bachman good vehicles need thier couplings to be lowered to match.

I know you have commented somewhat similary before , particularly re rakes of waggons so how do YOU go about this?

thanks John. We can learn from your experience, as other posts have also proved, the subject is of interest to those of us who are looking to enhance our modelling with operational interest. 

Look forward to further posts

Andy R 

Tony, yes, that's one way of putting it. Unless one keeps them under control they do tend lead lives of their own which can get a little irritating. That's why they wear bright coloured hats too.

One further method I use is by way of a shelf to the layout at places where shunting poles are employed. This can be seen in the image. Then one had a better chance of their not roaming. It also helps keep junk off the layout itself. 

I  also use it to lay out my wagon cards when shunting.

Regards,

Alan (and Andy R), I agree Kadees do make shunting and operation much more interesting and enjoyable.

I don't use the Kadee height gauge, this is made for American HO stock which is not to the same standards as UK and for use in conjunction with their magnets. It is all to strict US tolerances, hence the disparity. It can lead one up the garden path-as I discovered.

When I referred to personal "standards" the most important is coupling height and to achieve the best overall fit I adopt Bachmann's as mine. In the horizontal plane they don't have to mate 100% accurately- all that is necessary is that one mates with the other to provide a sufficient purchase. This is where the suck and see approach comes into play.

It's not the precision engineering that Kadees are made to and their instructions insist be applied but good old fashioned bodging-well, in my case. But it works.

Sometimes all that is required to make a better match of my Bachmann couplings is to prize down a little way the coupling in its holder. They are good snug fits. And this can be readily done with a small screwdriver. Or file a little way to raise it. I've done both.

Hope this helps.

Winter comes early to Hintock on a bleak moonlit night. The local pannier stands quietly simmering outside the signal box, it's fire hole glowing brightly in the cab windows.

Looks like it's going to be a hard winter this year.

post-8259-0-78042300-1418814916_thumb.jpg

[Edited slightly to change the text and update the picture]

Hope you like it John.

Andy, like it ?, indeed I do. Thank you so very much.

Another fine example of your skills, including the lit lamp.

And, my very Best Wishes to you for Christmas and the New Year, your family, my Hintock followers and all members of this forum.

John Flann

May I return your seasonal wishes John and thank you for the photo. By coincidence I have just used some recovered 40 year old GEM flexitrack bases with new code 100 rail in my first layout for 30 years, together with new Peco points.

Of all the code 100 track I think GEM was the best and wonder that no one produces track bases of a similar pattern. Yes, it's not bullhead, but if you're using older stock it is a very acceptable compromise. Lecture over :D .

Merry Christmas,

Richard

Many thanks for your seasonal wishes John. I wish the same for you and your family. Hopefully your winter will not be as rough as some of the pictures we've already seen around Buffalo. But I'm sure you'll still get to see more snow than we will.

All the best

Andy.

Richard, few of us remember GEM track and it did look good, unfortunately some photos of LH where I used it have gone missing but no doubt they will eventually turn up. With them I used Marcway points having live frogs and I got with them and #94 (the Rivarossi)  got excellent running.

Andy, Buffalo gets its snow from off the Great Lakes and consequently very wet, here we are at over 4,500' and rarely get wet snow, what we get is a fine white powder not too difficult to clear and superb for skiing and for which Utah is renowned. A lot often but so far has not caused any problems (says he with his fingers crossed). When in Montana it was well over the top of fence posts.

I had hoped to post another photo for you, but I couldn't find it. Some other time.

Enjoy your Christmas.

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning, John (Well it is here).

Many thanks for more lovely images of this seminal layout. It was so nice if my 2yr old daughter to wake so early this morning, allowing me the time to catch up with this thread.

The news that there is an online book about Hintock et al is very welcome. Perhaps one day we may see the Hintock Chronicles in hard back as well.

John your layouts continue to provide enjoyment and inspiration for many. Long may it continue.

A Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Best wishes,

Rob

Rob, and you other gentlemen thank you  for your "likes", I couldn't resist posting those last two images. It hadn't been my intention but looking for some others I found them and there you are. I don't know why I should have been but I was quite taken by their qualities and currently have one up as a screen saver.

I'm glad too Rob you like Hintock itself and the idea of the online book, it's been a great deal of effort particularly by son Christopher to set it up, but the project is now well on course and further chapters plus blog and pictures are in hand. It's nice to know its appreciated. As to hardback we shall have to wait and see.

Do members have any preferences in that regard?

And Rob that explains it. What you might ask. As I was logging off I noticed you were online at this thread. I went on to bed. You attended your daughter and your day began. They do make excellent (if erratic) alarm clocks.

And a Merry Christmas to you all.

post-3088-0-67908300-1419516216_thumb.jpg

Would you have liked this in your Christmas stocking?

MERRY CHRISTMAS from HINTOCK

• RMweb Gold

John, wishing you the compliments of the season, peace and good health for the coming year...

Rob

Seasons greetings to you John- its Boxing Day down here now and the test cricket has begun...time to relax. These little cameo pictures are a delight, and capture the atmosphere of the branch well in my view. Nice modelling.

cheers, Andy R

Thanks gentlemen, I hope you have all enjoyed the day. HTQ does look good in that summer sun. I'm quite delighted with it.

AndyR, Boxing Day is not celebrated here but we do, no cricket opening here. I awoke to 3-4" of snow that I had cleared off the drive before 8am, then in, it has snowed lightly all day and had a traditional Christmas dinner (turkey and Christmas pud) at home.

Just enjoyed a pleasant twenty minutes or so operating Hintock, ran a couple of trains and indulged in some shunting. All worked perfectly. Very relaxing.

Archived