The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Hi John,

I have spent the last few days reading through this thread for the first time and can only echo what has been said many many times before - what an inspirational layout. You have perfectly captured the atmosphere and feel of a country branchline through your wonderful living, constantly evolving railway.

The pictures are great and your method of modelling is just breathtaking. It is not rivet-counting modelling (for want of a better phrase) but this is not a criticism in the slightest - you have managed to do something that only a handful of layouts do, capture a 'feeling' and paint a perfect overall picture. Everything just fits and is just right. Techinical perfection in modelling can leavee cold, but you have achieved perfection in a different way.

Even in this relatively small space there is a sense of spaciousness and room to breath which is fantastic, in all honesty given this I almost cannot believe the size of the layout, particularly the width!

I am also particularly struck with the little shunting layout. I have just commenced work on my own little inglenook layout - only 6' by 15" - and if I can achieve half of the atmosphere that you have in your little scene then i will be on to a winner! Seeing the Quay has spurred me on to try and achieve something!

Thank you so much for sharing your work and updating in your unique way. I cannot give enough compliments bit will follow the next installments with great interest!

David

David, as I have said that is very handsome acclaim for my Hintock. I got and get a great deal of fun out of it and if others do also I am well content. I too set out fully my modelling philosphy on my website (see the link below) and this had has led me and leads me now in all the various developments so far. There are others in store too.But I can only do this on the basis of the foundations I laid at the outset of time and place.

You remark on the slimness of the scenes, the effect is aided by the fact that I fight the temptation to fill it all up and within the 20'0 overall length 17'6 of it is scenified. 

I'm happy to that my efforts have provided you with inspiration, I have got it too from others and one does need this at times. I hope your Inglenook works out as you would wish-it took me along time to get HTQ into its final form-and we shall see it on here.

Again my thanks for taking the time to read through my thread and then to write about your thoughts. I do appreciate it.

And to close, a little detail of HTQ.

post-3088-0-39015000-1422681995_thumb.jpg

David, as I have said that is very handsome acclaim for my Hintock. I got and get a great deal of fun out of it and if others do also I am well content. I too set out fully my modelling philosphy on my website (see the link below) and this had has led me and leads me now in all the various developments so far. There are others in store too.But I can only do this on the basis of the foundations I laid at the outset of time and place.

You remark on the slimness of the scenes, the effect is aided by the fact that I fight the temptation to fill it all up and within the 20'0 overall length 17'6 of it is scenified. 

I'm happy to that my efforts have provided you with inspiration, I have got it too from others and one does need this at times. I hope your Inglenook works out as you would wish-it took me along time to get HTQ into its final form-and we shall see it on here.

Again my thanks for taking the time to read through my thread and then to write about your thoughts. I do appreciate it.

And to close, a little detail of HTQ.

attachicon.gifDSCN4100-2.jpg

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for your encouragement. My comments were just an appreciation of the way you share your work in, I am sure every reader of this thread will pick up something, whether it is just reveling in the atmosphere you have created or through a modeling technique or way you have approached a job. I will look forward to the future developments with interest.

Thanks for the further image of HTQ. I hope to get something posted with regard to my own little layout soon, I am just deciding on the final dimensions at the moment but judging by HTQ I think 5' by 15" might be do-able to create the scene. I might be able to eek out an extra foot in length (to 6') but it will be difficult and I am doubtful whether it will add anything scenically or operationally. Just out of interest, do you feel that the dimensions of  HTQ (and crucially siding lengths) are are enough to sustain interest for a short operating session? Anyway I will continue with my paper template and stock shuffling in earnest! 

Thanks once again and I look forward to reading the next installment. 

David

post-3088-0-72902300-1422889212_thumb.jpg

David, above is a sketch plan of HTQ and you will observe its overall size. This seems about right in terms of proportion but more to the point is its handiness. It's not heavy or difficult to move about and sits happily on a table. I can operate it sitting down and everything is within reach.

post-3088-0-47131500-1422889128_thumb.jpg

The length of the head shunt is about 14". and the effective lengths of the upper and lower sidings is about 21" and 22" respecively. The track is Atlas HO code 100, the points Peco.

post-3088-0-83290200-1422889160_thumb.jpg

I employ 9 different wagons and a brake van, all the wagons are fitted with Kadee coiplings and there are 3 uncoupling magnets.

To operate I have a card for each wagon, and three numbered cards two, three and four. The wagon cards identify the wagons, the numbered cards the number of wagons to be set out for a train. These cards have a diagonal line on their backs.

All the cards are kept and shuffled together. When a slashed card is reached, in going through them, that is turned over and shows the number of cards to be turned over and drawn to form the next train.

It's enough to keep me happily amused for 20 minutes or so.

img251-1.jpg

David, above is a sketch plan of HTQ and you will observe its overall size. This seems about right in terms of proportion but more to the point is its handiness. It's not heavy or difficult to move about and sits happily on a table. I can operate it sitting down and everything is within reach.

DSCN3966-1.jpg

The length of the head shunt is about 14". and the effective lengths of the upper and lower sidings is about 21" and 22" respecively. The track is Atlas HO code 100, the points Peco.

DSCN4104-1.jpg

I employ 9 different wagons and a brake van, all the wagons are fitted with Kadee coiplings and there are 3 uncoupling magnets.

To operate I have a card for each wagon, and three numbered cards two, three and four. The wagon cards identify the wagons, the numbered cards the number of wagons to be set out for a train. These cards have a diagonal line on their backs.

All the cards are kept and shuffled together. When a slashed card is reached, in going through them, that is turned over and shows the number of cards to be turned over and drawn to form the next train.

It's enough to keep me happily amused for 20 minutes or so.

Hi John,

Once again thank you very much for your kind and informative response. It definitely gives food for thought. The information on siding lengths and the way you operate is very interesting and is something I am going to play around with in my planning over the coming weeks.

I think portability is a key aspect of this type of project, 5' is just about the limit for handling in one go I would suspect and as you say can be set up on an average table very quickly and then packed away again.

If you don't mind me asking a further question (I am sorry for keep doing this!), what type of magnets do you use with the kadees -perrmanent or an electromagnet type?

Thanks as ever,

David

Thank you gentlemen for your interest and David for the question: you are quite right 5'0 is about the optimum length for a portable layout like HTQ.

It gives me all the entertainment I sought, I can sit and "play" with everything readily to hand and it is not difficult to move about. What more can one ask for?

The magnets are permanent ones because I had them in stock and they serve the purpose. 

And I'm always happy to answer questions.

Below is HTQ sitting on the office table I use, the 1/4" hardboard protects its surface. The controller is not attached in this shot nor are the cards shown.

post-3088-0-58971900-1423027232_thumb.jpg

Hi John,

Many thanks (again!) for that insight. The use of kadees is something I am going to experiment with as I want automatic uncoupling etc. I only propose to have a small amount of stock dedicated to my shunting layout, so the investment, at least at first, shouldn't be too drastic.

The operation side sounds perfect to be honest - I have very limited modelling time available hence why a small portable layout appeals. But would relish the chance to do 20 mins wagon shuffling now and again. I just need to get on with it now!

David

Thank you gentlemen for your "likes" and interest, it all looked a little gaunt at the outset but a bit of effort brought the final pleasing result. I like it and glad you do too.

I would like to think the photos are self-explanatory but if not, please ask.

One thing I would like to mention is the composition for it follows the rule of three, in the mill complex this is formed by the mill itself, the building at the end and on the left. The mill chimney is one point, the end structure another and the left hand building itself  with its tall ventilator accentuated by the green door. (behind he loco funnel.) The cottages too; themselves with their outbuildings, the signal box and hut at the front and here as before contained by the stone walls. The red coal wagon also pulls the eye toward the scene.

post-3088-0-38561700-1424017219_thumb.jpg

Browsing for a suitable image to illustrate my previous post I found this. Here are some of the features mentioned, and amongst others, the signal box, the tall ventilator, the chimney and that green door.

And thanks for the appreciation of this particular post. I spend a lot of time on composition both in the placement of structures and my photos and its nice to know its recognized.

John =absolutely agree with the comment post 790. Everytime I look at the photos the layout just looks so balanced and I see new cameos within the overall. Your structures and buildings are amazing and sit so well within the scene. There are plenty of learnings in this lovely little layout on townscape and scene composition.

regards Andy R

Adrian, those are most kind and generous words that I highly value. The warm response of others is also most agreeable. Thank you.

The creation of Hintock in all its intellectual  and physical respects has been and continues to be an activity in which I get great pleasure and enjoyment, and if that pleasure and enjoyment is shared by others then that too provides satisfaction.

My regards,

John.

post-3088-0-01097300-1424360760_thumb.jpg

The story of the early railways in Dorset is a tangled one and how the S&DR got to Hintock is part of that tangle. There were two principal parties the GWR and the L&SWR, the GWR  fiercely territorial, the L&SWR fiercely competitive and on the periphery the ever acquisitive expansion minded MR, along with an alliance of the MR and L&SWR in the S&DR. That was all apart from the question of broad or narrow gauge.

Broadly by the late 1800's the GWR and L&SWR had their Joint Line between Dorchester and Yeovil and the S&DR theirs to Poole. Later the Hintock branch was promoted and became a Jointb GWR/L&SWR branch line. At about the same time the S&DR proposed and built a railway from Sturminster Newton to Hintock Junction.

This was opposed by the GWR but the having Admiralty support Parliament granted the powers. This was because it gave another route for the steam coal from S Wales to the base of the Royal Navy's Home Fleet at Portland.

In both the Hintock Branch and its extension to Port Bredy the S&DR took an interest as it furthered the aims of the MR to gain a port on the South Coast and the L&SWR because of the inadequacies of Weymouth and the intense rivalry with the GWR on the Channel Island steamer services. To this end they acquired through nominees, large shareholdings in the both the Hintock Branch and the Port Bredy extension.

So in this manner the S&DR was enabled to gain Running Rights on the Hintock Branch.

post-3088-0-80318800-1424361172_thumb.jpg

John -I enjoyed your storey supporting Hintock.

As I have commented in an earlier post I have beamed in on a joint GWR/SR layout theme in Dorset, north of Weymouth, before seeing your Hintock layout, but your thinking is so much further advanced than mine.

I think the Dorset landscape and railway history perfect excuse for a joint company-based  layout that will give us variety in stock and operations.

Thanks for sharing the storey with us.

regards Andy R

Gentlemen, thank you for your like of, and interest in this episode of the Hintock story. It makes the presence of the S&DR so much more credible. I too enjoyed thinking it through.

Alan: yes the history of the early railways was one of merger and acquisition until Grouping. The Victorian entrepreneurs, bankers, promoters and others were a smart bunch of individuals. We owe them a great deal. That in itself is a fascinating story. A lot of money was made. A lot lost. But look at the outcome.-a system we as modellers commemorate today.

Andy: Dorset to me is my home county and the railways in it another fascinating story in their own right. I couldn't in my own mind have the S&DR at Hintock without a sound back story and I think I've got it right. It fits nicely too in my original scenario.

And another reason for the S&DR is my fondness for the many hard working LMSR locos, and now I can logically run my 3F.

Regards to all,

post-3088-0-93556800-1424447171_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-57317100-1424959077_thumb.jpg

In the early afternoon of another summer day at Hintock the Prarie and its coach on an Up train head for the Junction.

Imagine being a passenger traveling happily to Weymouth for a pleasant few hours on the front or looking forward to a paddle steamer trip to Lulworth Cove or around the Fleet in Portland Harbour. What an enjoyable prospect.

post-3088-0-55010600-1424959110_thumb.jpg

A different prospect here: I have never been entirely satisfied with the small yard in this corner as shown. So it's being altered and improved. That's my current project. More images of the new works in due course.

Meantime for those interested in such matters there is also one of my shunting poles on show. Note how handy the shelf is.

Gentlemen, your interest and approval is appreciated.

Rob: I never have a carefully drawn out plans-it's all in my mind. I know what I want and change things around until it all comes together. Here i my aim was to lengthen the sidings and improve the scenics.

I started last week, all the old track is out and a new formation in. The buildings are out too, and here some modifications and alterations are in hand. So far it' s looking good and works well.I'm happy-but photos will have to wait.

AndyP: OK maybe, but no style or personality. The new will have much greater presence and fit in better with  the recent enhancements at the LH end. You will like what is coming when you see it.

John; my original clerestory (this photo was taken some time ago); the new Granby stock is in use having been weathered. Due to my computer difficulties I have taken no recent photos but as soon as I can and have a photographic session the new stock will be photographed. They fit in very nicely.  You will   be pleased.

John, just one comment; something which I've thought a great artistic 'touch' on Hintock, and is an example of how you allow for space is that little small overgrown paddock (or whatever it is, just above the shaft of the 'knitting needle'!).  I don't think I've ever mentioned it before 'cause I thought other people might think it daft, but to me it's a classic example of how you allow a layout in a comparatively small space to 'breathe'.  I've always thought of it as a little something of the town's past, which the townsfolk pass on the train and remember what was there in days of yore.  In other words - that isn't going is it?!  Some scenics on Hintock don't need improving!

Archived