The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Given the recent article in the November RM that largely concerns Sheepcroft Yard here are some images that demonstrate how I got there. The progress I think might kindly be described as incremental.

But the final result speaks for itself.

These showing the work are I trust self-explanatory.

post-3088-0-16760900-1350182567_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-96147200-1350183438_thumb.jpg

The entry from the original layout formed by two Peco 22" curved points. and exit to fiddle yard. And backscene in place.

post-3088-0-23469100-1350182748_thumb.jpg

Sidings laid in and scenery at rear beginning to be formed. To left is what is intended to be a water feature.

post-3088-0-80024800-1350182892_thumb.jpg

Building at rear in place on retaining wall and entry to fiddle yard.

post-3088-0-22606800-1350183086_thumb.jpg

By this stage I had given up on the water feature.

post-3088-0-01626600-1350183189_thumb.jpg

At the right hand end,

Dependent on the interest/comment these attract... this might be continued.

• RMweb Premium

Given the recent article in the November RM that largely concerns Sheepcroft Yard here are some images that demonstrate how I got there. The progress I think might kindly be described as incremental

...By this stage I had given up on the water feature.

Good move. The scene flows (deliberate pun :boast: ) a lot better now with the purpose of the buildings and goings on showing up beautifully. Nice work.

[Dependent on the interest/comment these attract... this might be continued.

Do carry on, sir

This is a continuance and demonstrates how the corner was re-developed (and I must say eventually very much to my satisfaction.)

post-3088-0-91426700-1350597185_thumb.jpg

The foreground satisfactorily completed, but I was no so sure about the structure to the right rear. It was intended that the incomplete building was to become 1&2 Station Houses, one for the stationmaster WJ Maybrey, the other for the signalman Jim Buttrey.

post-3088-0-21666200-1350597412_thumb.jpg

Under construction.

post-3088-0-37505300-1350597609_thumb.jpg

A close up, the site appears cramped and the access to lineside clumsy, S&P's building also dominates.

post-3088-0-66057100-1350597777_thumb.jpg

Trying a few things out.

To be continued...

Dave, yes that foreground did develop well and once I had it sorted out, the background similarly..

Here are a couple of images of the merchants store taken in natural lighting that I caught as the summer westerly sun shone on the layout.

post-3088-0-53026800-1350742411_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-51099800-1350742469_thumb.jpg

More on this later.

I shall return to the subject of re-shaping the corner, but as the emphasis at Hintock is on operation I thought these might appeal.

post-3088-0-22033100-1350837768_thumb.jpg

The pick up goods from Yeovil running in past Hintock Dairies. The two pristine wagons at the front are new ex-works and destined for Hintock Quarry Co's fleet, a look at post #60 will show the difference now they have seen hard use.

The image shows the general arrangement of HD's premises. All scratch built. There is an "Engines Must Not Pass this Board' at the entry so vehicles are left within the gates and then moved by way of an electric capstan and a wire cable.

It follows no particular prototype but includes all the various component parts.

post-3088-0-96213200-1350838158_thumb.jpg

Full wagons being pulled out. These go either by the GWR to the Midlands or via Dorchester on the SR to Clapham, London.

To the left are 1-4 Dairy Cottages again scratch built around 40 years ago..

post-3088-0-07425500-1350838342_thumb.jpg

This milk tank is ex Dapol with a new tank body re-wheeled, painted and re-lettered DDFA for the Dorset Dairy Farmers Association.

post-3088-0-22747600-1350838509_thumb.jpg

This is an early Bachmann model with my modifications: it still runs well but is noisy compared to the latest versions.

Hi John

I have enjoyed your posts on the corner redevelopment and look forward to seeing more. Though I am modelling a prototype it is good to see how easy it looks (I'm sure it isn't) to change something if you need to and to make it look good, I know I have changed a few things but not when it has neared completion.

I like the 40 year old cottages in this last post and am thinking of something similar when I get to modelling Tiverton Junction - a few years away yet methinks - but no harm in planning ahead is there, it might mean not doing it two or three times like I currently do. It would appear they are Plasticard, is this correct.

Look forward to seeing more.

Yes Jim, Slaters plasticard on card with stripwood bracing, my favourite materials. They have worn well and through several re-paintings. I have photos of them off the layout. Those I will post when I find them.

That corner needed doing and I'll get back to it. I decided to retain the existing track as that functioned well although I did toy with the idea of running a longer siding parallel with the running line, but that didn't work. And I didn't make any satisfactory progress until I took a completely fresh look and decided I had to build new rather than make-do with existing and adapted ones.

In my defence I might say that the initial corner was finished in a hurry with left over structures from old layouts as I had to get it done for a photographic and magazine dead line.

It still took a while to get it right and it was difficult to get at because of it's position and having to reach over the finished front.

However I got there and will post some more images of steps (some false) along the way.

Jim, as promised, eventually I found these images showing the cottages.

What I like about the Slaters stone plasticard is the manner in which painting can enhance a building by achieving an individual look that can't be done with building papers. Those I consider all too often tend to look the same.

I must admit I haven't had the same success with Slaters brick sheets but fortunately there are no brick structures at Hintock-and that's the reason why. But too each his own preferred methods and materials.

post-3088-0-46553700-1350998207_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-16478500-1350998247_thumb.jpg

The bobbles on the LH end are the remains of some scenic materials I added and removed except for these bits As that side isn't normally visible I haven't bothered about it but if it did I can soon add some flock as a climbing and creeping cover.

Not bad for 40 years on.

Fair enough Peter and thank you for it, but they were developing stylistic forms of writing and advertising in the 1930's and it does attract attention. Witness your comment!

It also brightens up the wagon, otherwise it's rather dull. .

You probably realize from where it originated as part of the logo of the American short line Montana Rail Link as did the white flash. The two go together. They are from Microscale HO decals that I have used on my JFRR as seen below.

You are not the only one to have made such a remark but I think it will remain as part of the Hintock 'story' where rail traffic plays such an important part of the life of both the country and town. Without the speedy carriage of milk people in the towns wouldn't have got their fresh pinta so readily.

post-3088-0-50122400-1351029313_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The bobbles on the LH end are the remains of some scenic materials I added and removed except for these bits .

Hi John

It looks like the remnants of a previously rendered gable to me, in which case no more work required save some weathering on the bits of "render", perhaps. ;)

I like coming back to see your progress. Carry on the good work.

Hi John

Thanks for that, like you I found when I built my station building it was fixed so to speak, I could not easily change the appearance. I did manage to paint some individual bricks and found those I altered during the day were fine but the ones painted under artificial light were not, that's why I changed to embossed sheets. If it had been under a large canopy I may well have left it, but this hobby is about developing your skills and finding what suits you best and I still have lots to explore.

Jim, as promised, eventually I found these images showing the cottages.

What I like about the Slaters stone plasticard is the manner in which painting can enhance a building by achieving an individual look that can't be done with building papers. Those I consider all too often tend to look the same.

I must admit I haven't had the same success with Slaters brick sheets but fortunately there are no brick structures at Hintock-and that's the reason why. But too each his own preferred methods and materials.

post-3088-0-46553700-1350998207_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-16478500-1350998247_thumb.jpg

The bobbles on the LH end are the remains of some scenic materials I added and removed except for these bits As that side isn't normally visible I haven't bothered about it but if it did I can soon add some flock as a climbing and creeping cover.

Not bad for 40 years on.

When I saw the "bobbles" on the end I thought they were the remains of a building long demolished!

post-3088-0-64661000-1351718778_thumb.jpg

The beginnings, but not very auspiciously.

post-3088-0-67988700-1351718868_thumb.jpg

It seemed like a good idea to have the end of a row of terrace houses as part of the back scene and this is the west end of what was to become 1-6 Railway Terrace.

post-3088-0-45710700-1351719022_thumb.jpg

Trying to use the carcase of what had been Strutt & Parker's building didn't work so I decided to build new. The constituent parts.

post-3088-0-82652800-1351719182_thumb.jpg

The finished article.

post-3088-0-29874900-1351719307_thumb.jpg

I can't which image of these two I prefer.

post-3088-0-07939200-1351719395_thumb.jpg

Keith, I agree, I like both, however my preference is for the first. It is perhaps a more 'arty' shot.

Dave, but they do. If you take a look at Metcalfe kit PO 0218, Railway Workers Cottages, you will find that gable ends can be taken from that. And the kit being for two cottages and with a little ingenuity you get four ends.

You also have some bits left over and useful for other things. It's perhaps worth a look.

I got one but couldn't get on with it. It did however provide the inspiration for the end you see. That is scratch built.

I appreciate your favourable comment and interest.

Regards to you both.

Dave, but they do. If you take a look at Metcalfe kit PO 0218, Railway Workers Cottages, you will find that gable ends can be taken from that. And the kit being for two cottages and with a little ingenuity you get four ends.

You also have some bits left over and useful for other things. It's perhaps worth a look.

I appreciate your favourable comment and interest.

Regards to you both.

What an excellent idea John,

Thanks,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

I thought I had seen this movie before......and its well worth a repeat viewing........but I dont recall those two shots.........they are both excellent.......you have conveyed a natural sense of perspective.....peering over a hedge or fence at the buildings beyond

Over the weekend I made a few changes at Hintock. Here is where I am so far.

post-3088-0-88632300-1352123600_thumb.jpg

Ayling & Strudwick's woolen mill tended to dominate this scene so I decided to remove it.

post-3088-0-70491800-1352123741_thumb.jpg

With that:-

post-3088-0-59710300-1352123860_thumb.jpg

I could then move the signal box to the other side. And put the water tower in it's place.

post-3088-0-02731800-1352124052_thumb.jpg

In the space vacated by the A&S mill goes this. The whole is a lot more open and attractive. Or will be when it's all finished.

post-3088-0-33991600-1352124191_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

I haven't commented on Hintock for a while. I understand why you may have wanted to open the area where the Mill was but I think you've given yourself a number of small scenic challenges that will be interesting to see how you overcome.

First is creating something to take the eye away from the bare back scene behind the water tower. The second is the unfinished back to the signal cabin. I know that you often don't model the unseen bits and that could be a tricky little job to put right. Personally I would have left it where it was, the front of a signal cabin is always much more interesting than the back. What is the building you are replacing the mill with? It doesn't sit right in that position to my eye, but then again I don't know what you have in mind for the rest of the area.

Sorry if it seems a bit negative but I think we know each other well enough to take a bit of critical appraisal on the chin and at the end of the day what pleases you is what matters.

Archived