The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Tom: harking back to our recent exchange of views if you haven't already seen it, I suggest you go to my Hintock website http://www.hintockbranch.com/and read my introduction and Ch's 1 and 2.

There you will see a fairly full exposition of my modelling philosophy and I think you will agree, it is the credibilty aspect in all respects that creates the "essence" of Hintock.

And an excellent read it is too, well worth setting an Hour aside for.

Following up my earlier post I've confirmed that my website covers quite comprehensively my construction techniques and I see little need to add to that. It's contained in the main body, in a blog waiting posting and there are references to RM's that have 'how I dun it"articles. It would only be a duplication of effort.

I shall however try to remember to take and post more construction  photos as I proceed on my merry way. And always I'm happy to answer questions.

Attached is an image showing how an arch forms itself naturally by means of the method I described. Also shown is a possble goods shed for Port Bredy in the early  stages of construction.

post-3088-0-55777900-1455665784_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-12759900-1455996634_thumb.jpg

Mindful of the interest shown in my construction methods the above and below show how I set up the open frame for the baseboards of the original Hintock and the baseboards themselves. All very simple carpentry.

It also shows the benefits of installing the back scene painted elsewhere, at an early stage. Initialy the back scene is painted a flat white with gaps left for the blue sky, these are then painted in with  white feathering and accentuating of the edges. (Clouds appear in front of the sky.) It's a matter of see how it goes and while both white and blue paint is still wet.

The height of the backscene(s) is a matter of judgement. Hintock is viewed from a standing postion, hence it needs to be higher. Port Bredy next, from a seated position so the height of the backscene is lower.

post-3088-0-11768500-1455996675_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-07116700-1455996713_thumb.jpg

Where I am currently with Port Bredy: the back scene is 1/8th birchwood plywood screwed to the baseboard, the corners coved with card and with curved ends. This was painted in situ. First the white, then the blue and white. It was done fast with two cans of paint open and two different brushes. (It was a bit of a game.) Here I spent more time on blending white on blue using  dryish brushes to get the effect. This is of a summers day and with a fresh breeze.

The buildings and trees give some idea of what amount of back scene behind them will appear. The stock demonstrates scale.

post-3088-0-25695700-1455996751_thumb.jpg

Evening John,

Good to see another update and also your methods in pictures. Forgive me for a some what stupid question but am I right in thinking that your baseboard construction on Port Bredy is the ply acting as the base and then the upside down 2x1 acting as the strengthening frame? It is not a method I have come across but like the idea a lot. I have scanned back through the thread a bit but I must admit I didn't read every page so once again apologies if this is old ground..

Regards
Tom

A. Tom, it's still afternoon here and I'm happy to respond.And, can I take too the opportunity to deal with two other matters?

Glad you like the idea. Yes, in effect the baseboard is turned upside down. The ply is on the bottom, the framing glued to that and the top surface of cork tiles laid on the foam filling. Its worked well for me. For a picture see post #1241 of February 9.

My wiring is simple, two wires  DC, all points are within easy reach and hand thrown. The wires are laid in channels cut in the cork. I like things to be straightfoward.

B. Here, might I clarify and break down painting the back scene into these steps,

1. Prepare and prime with white paint,

2. paint the back scene flat white,

3. paint blue leaving "holes" for clouds,

4, overpaint the holes to form the clouds, feathering the edges,

5. dry brush the result, and

6. all whilst the paint is wet.

I use flat/satin emulsion paint.

C. My emoticons regulary fail to appear, so in their absence can I say "Thanks" for your commendations. They are much appreciated.

Regards to you all.

post-3088-0-00781300-1456588781_thumb.jpg

This shows how I treat the corners so as to avoid that angular and so unrealistic look to a baseboard. Done at an early stage-it's very difficult to do afterward as I know from experience, and simply done with a piece of thin card.

The image was taken when building Hintock TQ, the recent images of the back scene to Port Bredy demonstrate how unobtrusive they are. Absent them and its altogether different. See first image of post #1279 of February 20.

Another post later will show progress to date. Meantime here's a taster.

post-3088-0-61149100-1456589327_thumb.jpg

On Edit: for my thanks, please see my next post. Thank you.

post-3088-0-29718100-1456593943_thumb.jpg

I had to break off my last posting rather hurriedly and here is the after image of much the same scene in post# 1279, first image. What a difference the coving makes.

On Edit: once again my thanks emoticon has failed to appear so, instead of pressing a button I'm saying thanks for real. To be clear for this post and the preceding one.Thank you.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting,John. Very instructive as usual. Nice to the progress made......which reminds me. I must make some progress on my modest effort as opposed to playing with it....

Rob

I get a little tired of work-in-progress images so I thought I'd introduce a change. Corners are always difficult fill but this enhancement of Hintock worked out very well.

post-3088-0-01719400-1457019339_thumb.jpg

Later, more of what's been happening at Port Bredy.

On Edit-thanks!

• RMweb Gold

A lovely view John. A very 'complete' scene with everything in its place.

Splendid.

Rob.

I would agree John, that corner worked out really well. I keep going back through the thread and looking at all your pics and keep finding things I hadn't seen before. It's almost like spending a virtual summers holiday at Hintock and it seeming familiar but memory playing tricks on ones return. Keep up on enjoying what you do..

Tom.

Rob, I appreciate that comment as much as I do the likes. Thank you. It did eventually all come together very nicely-including dealing with the coving in the corner at a later stage. Not recommended.

Following are some images showing a before and in course of the enhancement. It will be noted that Ashgoves the principal building was part of Hintock Dairies and used to fill actual corner and hoisted up by the addition of a lower storey to make it more dominant. It will be seen too how the back scene developed, the goods shed cluttered the yard  and Hooper & Wolens premises was tried in various positions. Finally being tucked away and providing a lead in from the right into the scene. On the left that was provided  by the line of Hintock Dairies buildings and the two parallel sidings. 

I haven't added individual captions. But what's going on, or not, I hope is apparent.

post-3088-0-64488000-1457105222_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-79270000-1457105250_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-63815200-1457105401_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-19136700-1457105441_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-05514500-1457105471_thumb.jpg

Tom, those are kind comments-and you are not the first to comment on the summer nature of the scene(s) at Hintock. I'm glad you did as that's what I aim for.  And yes, I do enjoy it.

EDIT: Thank you for the likes!

Thanks Andy, and gentlemen for your likes.

Looking at these afresh even I can see the difference those changes have made. It's a wonder what a little bit of imagination and application can achieve.

A progress report: I've been working on the RH end of Port Bredy because it didn't seem "right", these images show my false steps along the way and where I am now.

What seemed the problem was the manner in which the goods shed initially appeared as if perched upon the raher short raised platform rather than sitting naturally. So I took it out and found a more natural location on the front siding. However that required the siding itself to be slewed forward.

I do not intend to add words to the images below.

They won't add anything to the substance of the actions and I must admit I have got rather fed up with the mess of the alterations. The next steps will be more interesting.

The point is however, that if I don't get it right now it will be a constant source of irritation in the future.

post-3088-0-18604100-1457538353_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-93953600-1457538414_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-38125300-1457538463_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-00279900-1457538503_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-10168500-1457538539_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-79009000-1457538566_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-27118000-1457538617_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-56568300-1457538724_thumb.jpg

Of course, if there are questions, please do ask.

EDIT: again I've missed the "thanks" button-so, Thankyou for the likes.

• RMweb Gold

Splendid stuff John. Great to see how you do things.

Great deal of inspiration for myself for sure and a classic demonstration of what is possible in a modest space.

I for one am hooked and already planning the successor to Sheep Lane.

Rob

Rob, glad you feel inspired and encouraged to go forward from Sheep Lane. As you have found and are finding an enormous space and a lot of work-often taking years-is not really required in building a layout to have fun with. As is said, small is beautiful and always KISS.

Looking forward, as I'm sure are others in seeing what you come up with next.

George, thanks, I keep an eye open on what you are doing with CA and like what I see.

And whilst posting can I add my appreciation of the honours shown me  (especially the clever and craftsmanship notations) in getting Port Bredy thus far.

Lastly, an update: I have checked the electrics and completed the ballasting, then is painting rails and with those (necessary) chores complete I can get on with what I really enjoy.

More reports in due course.

Yes Andy, I find if I paint (not spray), the rails first the paint is inclined to come off when spraying with "wet" water so I do it after ballasting.

I prefer a brush and the paint a mixture of soft black, brown and oxide acryllics to no specific formula.  The sleepers get paint on them in the process and I tidy them up lastly with the darker colours. It's rather a labour intensive task but I think it worthwhile. Some paint, of course gets on the ballast but so what, it's rarely pristine and certainly not in sidings.

I also do the buffer stops at the same time.

You can see the results in the image above.

post-3088-0-57704500-1458253313_thumb.jpg

I had intended to post on the latest events at Port Bredy but my camera refuses to disgorge the images and they will remain there until my son Nicholas, my fixer, returns from Oregon and places west. Meantime, is this saga of change at Hintock in course of the years.

Most are self explanatory so please just follow along.

post-3088-0-71939100-1458253350_thumb.jpg

I however got tired of the prominence of this structure and thought a water feature might look rather nice.

post-3088-0-59130900-1458253379_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-23962200-1458253432_thumb.jpg

However, the yawning hole didn't appeal and it was harder to work out than I thought, so I went back to the original notion of a largish building to add some substance to the scene.

post-3088-0-29880400-1458253505_thumb.jpg

This was the first effort and I didn't like it So I tried again with a wider shelf-like baseboard This had the advantage of being not only wider but removable and thus making access easier to what lay behind when maintenance was required. I now played about with various "shapes" and eventually finished up with this. (I thought I had organised some other images showing work in progress but obviously not and I shall post those separately.)

post-3088-0-29880400-1458253505_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-92066800-1458253986_thumb.jpg

And here in the greater context of Hintock itself.

In place the building has a significant presence but does not dominate nor obstruct any line of sight. In fact it looks completely at home.

post-3088-0-48323100-1458253666_thumb.jpg

Below you can see the finished building along with the baseboard on which it sits and the securing nut and bolt. Alongside is another sub-baseboard on which is the signal box.

NB. My emoticons have not appeared. I must raise the matter with the Management. Nevertheless it will not prevent me from saying THANKYOU to those who have been good enough to "like" and otherwise approve of my efforts.

post-3088-0-46442600-1458253554_thumb.jpg

Archived