The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

You may indeed Peter, thank you, all look so very appealing and with much  quiet atmosphere. I'm looking forward to referring to them on a future occasion. Meantime members and like myself can enjoy the view. So very inland Dorset and very English (writing as an ex-pat a long time away, getting on for 27 years now.)

You may indeed Peter, thank you, all look so very appealing and with much  quiet atmosphere. I'm looking forward to referring to them on a future occasion. Meantime members and like myself can enjoy the view. So very inland Dorset and very English (writing as an ex-pat a long time away, getting on for 27 years now.)

Dorset really is a stunning county, there is so much fantastic scenery and it is quite diverse. Been to various parts of Hintock country recently as well as over to Christchurch  to take daughter to play in a jazz gig. Really like the above photos.

Seem to have spent an awful lot of time driving round it recently on a now successful hunt for a car for me to get to work in and to share with the children the first of whom has just started lessons.

Just two more John, if I may.

Looking downstream - similar position to the picture above but showing a little more of the actual banks.

attachicon.gifDSCN3113.JPG

Looking upstream, showing the relationship with the nearby railway (the main Waterloo-Weymouth line).

attachicon.gifDSCN3128.JPG

Regards,

Peter

I have a few of the Gordon Beningfield Books in which he paints and writes about the Dorset Countryside, all very peaceful and relaxed, and a totally different way of life to that we know today.

My Wife and I had our first Date on Mudeford Quay, which was MOVED to Dorset by then.

post-3088-0-27308400-1471577607_thumb.jpg

August 19, is an auspicious day for Hintock. It is today was introduced into the 08.13 am, ex Birkenhead, Woodside, the new "sunshine" coaches on the through portion, via Granby to Hintock specifically for passengers intending a visit to the GWR's famed Pennsylvania Hotel at Port Bredy.

post-3088-0-91384400-1471577644_thumb.jpg

This innovation is due to the generosity of the Chief Operating Superintendent of the Granby operating district. It also marks a costly renovation of the Hotel to make it even more comfortable for guests.

post-3088-0-13421500-1471577677_thumb.jpg

The loco is a Prairie from off the Hintock shed, sub-shed to Weymouth. In the Goods loop the SR goods waits to get on the Port Bredy branch.

post-3088-0-78271400-1471577709_thumb.jpg

As this stock is for the first time at Hintock the opportunity is being taken for a trial run to Port Bredy. As when works there are complete the through stock will run on to Port Bredy. This will obviate use of a GWR motor omnibus to carry passengers on from Hintock and at Port Bredy visitors will get the hotel more easily. The timing of the train gets passengers to the Hotel in time for a late afternoon,tea, a freshen up in their rooms, then a breath of good Dorset sea air a visit to the bar and an evening meal. (It all sounds most delightful and, of course, it is.)

post-3088-0-78271400-1471577709_thumb.jpg

The empty stock running into Port Bredy.

post-3088-0-51990100-1471577741_thumb.jpg

And another good reason for celebrating August 19 is that it's my Birthday-86.

PS. As ever the post gets muddled. and that rather spoils it, but I think you get the drift.

post-3088-0-41635800-1471577854_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday John.  If I can create scenes half that good at your age I shall consider myself very fortunate indeed.  I do like the idea of through coaches between our various locations.  I seem to remember an article in (possibly) Railway Modeller many years ago now relating to such through workings between friends.  Who knew then just how far and wide our layouts would become known in the 21st Century?

Hintock and its related scenes continue to provide enjoyment, tranquility and inspiration here.  Many thanks and my continuing best wishes to you.

Many Happy Returns John, yet another chapter to add to Hintocks colourful History, and again some most excellent Photos that tell the Story, I think I need to dust off Pencarne this week, the Padstonian is due.

Thank you gentlemen for those kind, generous and graceful words. I shall respond later to particular comments.

But what I will say, is that I enjoy this gentle art (as Peter Denny rightly named it) of railway modelling and if I can share that pleasure with others I'm very happy to do so.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

What splendid photos......the coaches look perfect in their new location.....and as usual a very convincing back story or legend. It was a happy coincidence that their inaugural trip should be on your birthday......many many happy returns

Best wishes

C.O.S.  Granby Division

Gentlemen, thank you for those later good wishes.

And John yes, it was a happy co-incidence I appreciate your enabling it to happen. You have noted how well it has worked out. Too, whilst acknowledging that can I bring Rick into this with his remarks about connections between layouts. There too we have a co-incidence in that John and I have recently been discussing timings of the through coaches.

The attached are such provisional timings. For Wrexham read Granby and the train I mentioned has been re-timed to depart B (WS) at 8.20 am. The train after detaching these coaches at Bristol continues onward to Plymouth. It all seems quite feasible.

Such thinking is another aspect to railway modelling. it also adds credibility to Granby and Hintock. Here is where Bradshaw can be so useful.

post-3088-0-90665900-1471632305_thumb.jpg

Happy birthday John, it gives me hope to see and confidence to continue struggling  to produce modelling like yours.As you know I have followed your progress from a long time ago when you lived in Liverpool and I wish you well.

Alan in the sunny Outer Hebrides  

Alan, of course, how nice to hear from you and thanks for the good wishes. That's a long time ago, I left Liverpool in, I think, 1958/9. And, I trust you are well and fully settled in and with your peat cut for the winter.

Every good wish.

My regards.

Another long term silent reader wishing you many belated happy returns John.  I am a huge fan and have loved reading your posts, seeing your work and being inspired by it all.  If my own efforts come half way to capturing the warmth, mood and peace of yours, I will be content.

Dale.

Dale, my apologies to you for not responding earlier to your birthday wishes and  so very complimentary post -" warmth, mood and peace-" I am very content with that. Thank you.

I had hoped to provide some images but alas as yet they are unavailable. After just over a month my new computer crashed and getting back up and running is proving a considerable task.

It will be sorted out but it's exceedingly frustrating in the meantime to say the least. But to use an old platitude good things are worth waiting for.

-

post-3088-0-52933200-1472473615_thumb.jpg

Wonders will never cease.

Much to my pleasure and surprise things, so far, are working. May it continue. (I left it running overnight to defragment.)

I ran these two as a trial. There is, however, purpose behind the two images as they nicely demonstrate the Joint GWR/SR nature of the Hintock Branch. I think too they are a couple of good pictures.

post-3088-0-58264000-1472473666_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I gave up trying to understand computers years ago . . . model railways on the other hand.

Those are very very good pictures.  Hopefully your computer will remain cooperative and allow you to continue sharing.

Thanks Bogie, sentiments I totally accept.

Fortunately some understand them, both my sons do, and Nicholas nearby got me going again-with assistance from Best Buy-no connection except, so far as, a satisfied customer.

Nice photos John. And a belated birthday greeting.

Regards Andy R

DSCN5471-1.jpg

Wonders will never cease.

Much to my pleasure and surprise things, so far, are working. May it continue. (I left it running overnight to defragment.)

I ran these two as a trial. There is, however, purpose behind the two images as they nicely demonstrate the Joint GWR/SR nature of the Hintock Branch. I think too they are a couple of good pictures.

DSCN5486-1.jpg

My last photo session after a long dry spell was a successful one. Out of 27 images taken only one was discarded. So I must be getting back on form.

Here are some and posted in the order takn as I have  not attempted a story pulling them altogether. That, I like think, is self evident from the photos themselves and the scenes portrayed.

post-3088-0-11106900-1472689268_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-21873700-1472689304_thumb.jpg

Not the same but similar.

post-3088-0-54997800-1472689334_thumb.jpg

Always makes a nice picture and setting, the SR 700 and a goods for Port Bredy.

post-3088-0-67704600-1472689378_thumb.jpg

Two locos, two companies, two CME's and such a different style.

post-3088-0-09327900-1472689434_thumb.jpg

Below is one that sums Hintock up, quite compelling, quite busy,  full of human life, all subtle and so very appealing.

post-3088-0-90855700-1472689473_thumb.jpg

Archived