The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

Mick, agreed all that tidiness has disappeared, I understand why, but don't like it. I don't think it's a good thing either because if the little things are looked after there is a better chance of the big things too. It's an attitude of mind.

Hi John,

The latest photo is one of your best, wonderful atmosphere and setting. I've downloaded it into my "inspirations" folder.

Here we have the opposite of your weather as temps run into scorching high 30s C. I struggle to keep up with the watering and stop the Lorikeets from eating my plums, apricots and Peaches!

I do have a few more issues re detailing and other matters that I've sent via emails for your thoughts.

Belated best wishes for the coming year.

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Hello John, a flurry of likes from me as I catch up.

So in search of a little summer sunshine I popped into Hintock to see what was afoot. This was it. Looks interesting and as  I see one or two acquaintances in the group, I think I'll join them. It looks like a run down to Port Bredy.

attachicon.gifDSCN4695-1.jpg

Now there's an idea, populating the layout with models of your friends. With the new laser scanned figures from modelu, that is actually feasible. On the other hand, it could all become a little bizarre!

Mikkel, a fascinating notion indeed.

Snag is Hintock is a fiction set in the middle 1930's and my then acquaintances were small boys and girls. Even assuming I was there at my current age few of them would still be around for equally they would have grown old and no longer with us.

However the idea does have perhaps some application to a contemporary layout.

• RMweb Gold

If you were to put models of yourself and friends on the layout it might look like your fathers had been there. My late father in law had travelled from Paignton to Reading in a Slip coach on the up Torbay Express which was 'slipped' at Reading in those days.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel, a fascinating notion indeed.

Snag is Hintock is a fiction set in the middle 1930's and my then acquaintances were small boys and girls. Even assuming I was there at my current age few of them would still be around for equally they would have grown old and no longer with us.

However the idea does have perhaps some application to a contemporary layout.

I admit that is a problem - also for me with a 1900s layout  :)  As Don implies, parents or other older family members could be an option (I'm not suggesting you should do it, just playing with the idea).

Don and Mikkel, thank you for your thoughts but I'll pass on this for the time being .I shall leave it to others to develop.

I'm not in any event terribly keen on populating my layouts. In Dorset generally the population was low and other than in places like Weymouth in holiday season, few people were about. It's that quiet, unhurried atmosphere which I endeavour to capture.

"Far from the madding crowd" and all that.

post-3088-0-80124100-1483895122_thumb.jpg

One of the principal functions of the early railways were the transport of fresh home grown food from the country to the town. The Vale of Hintock being bountiful and Hintock possessing a railway and handy connection to both the GWR and SR main lines the traffic in fruit and vegetables developed. So much so daily GWR and SR trains were handled in season.

post-3088-0-02175400-1483895160_thumb.jpg

This GWR train loaded through the day is standing in Sheepcroft Yard on a siding dedicated to the purpose. The LMS bogie brake is destined via Crewe to Manchester, the vans to Granby, N Wales and Birkenhead (WS).

post-3088-0-55473600-1483895204_thumb.jpg

In late afternoon the train departs for Hintock Junction. There the vans will be added to a fast fitted perishable freight from Weymouth Quay. At the head will be a WEY Castle.

And, tomorrow the fruit and veg will be on sale at local green grocers.

Now,totally OT, but it's warmer today at 20F, -7C, and we've had a bit more snow.

Agree Andy, this area has been neglected for some time yet it offers some attractive shots of a working railway-and that's what it's all about as you so amply demonstrate. Thank you too for the comment and Mikkel for his commendation..

Now back to the salt mines of Port Bredy. Would you believe it, yesterday afternoon I made the front for a row of cottages, windows, doors cut out, plasicarded, heads and cills added-and now I can't find it.

The detail that you have added John makes all the difference to what is an off the shelf kit. It gives it that individual touch. Looks good in natural sun light as well.

Good to see you posting again. Thought you'd gone into hibernation with all that snow.

I appreciate that enthusiastic response, it was a fun project and turned out well.

Les: there's some ideas for you; they are all quite credible and I always try to think my way through these enhancements as to how practically they could be accomplished in the real world.

I make it a practice where and when I can to mount structures on sub baseboards. They are then easy to handle and move when needed.

AndyM: not far removed from hibernation true and I have been busy with PB and made a lot of progress. There had been several sticking points but I managed to find a happy manner in which to resolve them. The track plan hasn't been altered as I'm well content with that but several structures have gone, new added and others found new locations.

As you noted sunshine does give good images, but I do need the summer for it. Granted we still get sun now but current temperatures aren't conducive to outside activities.

Martyn: praise indeed, thank you. As AndyM remarked and you recognize much off-the-shelf stuff lends itself to imaginative attention. It certainly worked here.

Gentlemen, I'm highly chuffed with the appreciation of my Signal box improvements, thank you, and now digging back through my images are a couple that show in its original location. I had the notion there were others but they seem to have gone AWOl.

post-3088-0-61981900-1484583212_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-07069600-1484583237_thumb.jpg

And, this one is for Les.

post-3088-0-90309500-1484583498_thumb.jpg

I thought it was about time I posted an update on progress at Port Bredy and below are some working images of it. There is, of course, a lot of finishing off and tidying up still required. And there, I'm finding how long it takes!

No captions, it should be possible to follow what's going on. I'm aiming as you can observe for the open uncluttered look.

Port Bredy is after all, nothing more than a large village set in a remote rural area of Dorset on the shores of the English Channel and where the River Brede meets the sea.

post-3088-0-67339300-1484934197_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-55427100-1484934218_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-94035200-1484934242_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-48371900-1484934268_thumb.jpg

As you will note some new buildings have appeared, others have found new locations and the scenics have commenced. I try to work from the back to the front.

• RMweb Gold

I thought it was about time I posted an update on progress at Port Bredy and below are some working images of it. There is, of course, a lot of finishing off and tidying up still required. And there, I'm finding how long it takes!

No captions, it should be possible to follow what's going on. I'm aiming as you can observe for the open uncluttered look.

and your aim is 'spot on' John. It is coming on a treat.

Archived