The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

• RMweb Gold

Port Bredy is looking really good.. 

I saw you mention that you wanted an Adams Radial tank to complement the Southern side of the operation. Are you waiting for the Green Southern version to be released? I can't decide if I want an M7 or wait for the Adams tank.

First, may I say thank you for all those commendations regarding the progress at Port Bredy.

Second, responding to SJN, yes I am waiting for the Oxford Southern radial. When it arrive,s it in company with a single ex L&SWR coach plus van will work between PB, Hintock, Charford and Yeovil. The O2 will then handle similar goods workings. These I think are more suited to the locality, but principally because I have a preference for them over the M7.

And to complete the post some more evolutionary images of the LH end. It has taken me a long time to finally get it sorted out, as shown in the previous images and finally I'm happy with it.

The new building  alongside the entry to the Harbour Tramway line is a stable for the two horses employed at PB, Betty and Fred. Betty the senior works the tramway and the parcels, Fred, younger and stronger works the goods.

post-3088-0-84685500-1485187797_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-21769000-1485187817_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-38589100-1485187865_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-21639600-1485187842_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info John.. I picked up 2 of the SR Ex L&SWR coaches at the weekend, it's been a long time since buying any new coaches and the details are really very nice. So now I need something just as nice to join them...  

The pictures are looking very smart. I really enjoy the way your layout evolves with such a nice story and adjustments.. 

Scott

Scott, I try to keep the story line going and the Hintock Branch and now with Port Bredy is, of course, set in the 1930's when the railway station and the railways generally played a large part in peoples lives. As to Betty and Fred they were as much part of the railway establishment as much as Mr Wyatt the Stationmaster.

You did refer to a choice between a M7 and a O2 for your new ex L&SWR coaches that you are clearly pleased with as I am mine (straight out of the box and not yet lightly weathered) and you might like to see the attached. The O2 looks at home in both activities as does, the M7with the Maunsell pair.

post-3088-0-41057000-1485273468_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-90241800-1485273502_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-95730300-1485273538_thumb.jpg

On Edit: PS, on re-reading your post Scott I see you refer to the choice between a M7 and the Radial. But if you substitute 02 for Radial in my comment  I suggest, the Radial will look more at home with the L&SWR coaches than the M7. But it's your choice.

Scott, I try to keep the story line going and the Hintock Branch and now with Port Bredy is, of course, set in the 1930's when the railway station and the railways generally played a large part in peoples lives. As to Betty and Fred they were as much part of the railway establishment as much as Mr Wyatt the Stationmaster.

You did refer to a choice between a M7 and a O2 for your new ex L&SWR coaches that you are clearly pleased with as I am mine (straight out of the box and not yet lightly weathered) and you might like to see the attached. The O2 looks at home in both activities as does, the M7with the Maunsell pair.

attachicon.gifDSCN5508-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5537-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3070-1.jpg

On Edit: PS, on re-reading your post Scott I see you refer to the choice between a M7 and the Radial. But if you substitute 02 for Radial in my comment  I suggest, the Radial will look more at home with the L&SWR coaches than the M7. But it's your choice.

Nice pics as always John, I must admit, of all the Southern Liveries the Olive Green is by far the most pleasing to the eye.

I agree with Andy P comment on the olive green livery. I am very satisfied with my Hornby olive green coaches trundling along with a nice olive M7 into Hawkinsfield junction.

As my layout is set in similar location to Hintock I follow John's modelling and story line very closely and really enjoy the journey.

Regards Andy R

Agree with you Andy and that last image illustrates it perfectly. In it the M7 looks quite graceful, the coaches in SR green, something less so..

Whilst replying I'll also add that image is out of the archives and whilst I know you are aware of it, but others may not, that back scene has been re-done, as below.

post-3088-0-30031400-1485283146_thumb.jpg

It's also a pleasure to post such summer scenes for currently all around is a wasteland of deep snow. It's everywhere in abundance and it will take a day or two to get back to something like normal.

Agree with you Andy and that last image illustrates it perfectly. In it the M7 looks quite graceful, the coaches in SR green, something less so..

Whilst replying I'll also add that image is out of the archives and whilst I know you are aware of it, but others may not, that back scene has been re-done, as below.

attachicon.gifDSCN5427-1.jpg

It's also a pleasure to post such summer scenes for currently all around is a wasteland of deep snow. It's everywhere in abundance and it will take a day or two to get back to something like normal.

John -all the recent photos confirm how good your approach to modelling buildings is. Simple and effective use of space that conveys a 'relaxed busyness'....

regards Andy R

attachicon.gifDSCN5508-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN5537-1.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3070-1.jpg

Hi John,

Great shots and atmosphere.

Please can you tell me more about your other loco (pannier tank) in photo 2 (DSCN5537-1), model, supplier, etc?

I've concluded a DJM 14xx is ruled out for reasons we discussed; the pannier tank feels familiar from my youth in my neck of the GWR "woods" and hence might be a possible alternative for my setting. I don't see a big player coming back to produce model 14xxs any time soon after the recent broad coverage from DJM.

Colin

AndyR: 'relaxed buzyness" I like. Quiet industry is how I would describe it and that is what I attempt to portray. It's more of the less is more philosophy. And as is said, we are on the same page with that.

Colin: the loco is a standard Bachmann 57XX, for your purposes I would suggest the auto fitted Bachmann 64XX would suit.

post-3088-0-62433000-1485357006_thumb.jpg

This is the 57XX, all I have done is to replace the GWR with the more grand Fox "Great Western", lightly weather and add crew, coal and lamps.

post-3088-0-30524100-1485357040_thumb.jpg

It's seen in Sheepcroft Yard.

attachicon.gifDSCN3752-2.jpg

PS, a sharper image of 3752-2

Thanks John,

Engine looks superb with the additions.

It turns out 64xx Bachmanns are available and as you note most appropriate. I'd have liked a BR Green as that fits my current period setting but choice there is very restricted and may have to make do with the Black variant. Then again, now I have the excellent Hornby Ketley hall TTS which is "Great Western" I could run with 2 Period scenarios, pre-war with a 64xx Bachmann and Hall, Postwar with King and Castle etc. Sorry to drift off topic.

As an aside for future reference, how did you get the old loco transfers off to do your upgrade?

Colin

Colin: glad that assisted you. It doesn't take all that much effort to make a model loco look something like it's working counterpart. And well worth doing. I'm not keen as you will notice on this totally over the top school of "weathering".

I don't know what you are looking for with the 64XX but have you tried Hatton's? They carry good stocks of most locos and last time I looked they were offering 64XX's in various liveries. Anyway and from wherever I hope you get what you want.

Removing the transfers isn't difficult if one is patient and work carefully with a sharp razor blade. Fox decals too are reasonably easy to apply.

Colin: glad that assisted you. It doesn't take all that much effort to make a model loco look something like it's working counterpart. And well worth doing. I'm not keen as you will notice on this totally over the top school of "weathering".

I don't know what you are looking for with the 64XX but have you tried Hatton's? They carry good stocks of most locos and last time I looked they were offering 64XX's in various liveries. Anyway and from wherever I hope you get what you want.

Removing the transfers isn't difficult if one is patient and work carefully with a sharp razor blade. Fox decals too are reasonably easy to apply.

Hi John,

Thanks,  I was looking at Hatton's, the models I quoted were from their site but no BR Green.

One last question (for now) if I may, your Engine Crews look excellent, what is your source please, are they as purchased or painted / improved by you?

Colin

As a contrast to high summer scenes of Hintock, Dorset here are a selection showing current winter scenes around my home in Cache valley, Utah.

The first show around the front of the house. the last at the back.

Yes, I know they are OT, and something I do not encourage, but I thought you might care to see them considering previous comments of mine on the subject. But, of course conditions such as this are ideal for layout building and enjoyment. PB has made great strides because of them.

post-3088-0-41474500-1485619222_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-36908200-1485619252_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-34555000-1485619277_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-41971400-1485619304_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-43987800-1485619398_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-19697500-1485619418_thumb.jpg

The window to the left, behind the swing, is to the room in which I have Hintock Town Quay and am building Port Bredy.

Enjoy!

post-3088-0-77320600-1485704713_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your interest in this OT interlude, in course of it you may have wondered how I cope with the clearing of all this snow. Well, I don't.

That is all in the capable hands of the Man in Black, Thom with his shovel and 4 wheeler-as seen in action here.

post-3088-0-96560400-1485704733_thumb.jpg

Thom, is a gentle giant who with his crew clear snow in winter and grass cut, landscape and everything else with maintenance of open spaces in summer.

Back On Topic, and back to that summers day quietly seeing what's happening in Sheepcroft Yard.

And, as will be observed very little.

post-3088-0-74303200-1485705924_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-80043800-1485705954_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-39196400-1485706001_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-55459300-1485706029_thumb.jpg

My next post will, I hope be a progress report on Port Bredy.

Archived