Coach Lighting (But not how to light up my coaches)

No, not an electronics question but I'd like to know about the little plant pots sat on coach roofs and how best I should go about modelling them. They show up in drawings I have, but as photos of the prototype are scarce from any direction, ones showing exactly how to interpret the drawings are even sparser!

I have got this far in sketchup, but the drawing I'm working from shows a separate set of cylinders (I think they are cylindrical at least shorter than the main ones accompanying them, then there are all manner of lines which could be pipework, raised moulding on the cylindrical bodies, hinges, flaps ....or not!

post-15796-0-13586400-1345504115_thumb.jpg

What you are looking at are oil lamps;- These protrude into the compartments through apertures in the roof, & would have been lit by a man walking along the roof, removing each in turn, & replacing it temporarily with a cover, which is the smaller cylindrical object which sits adjacent to each one. (These were a bit like an inverted cake-tin..) The lamps would be lit, & have the wicks trimmed before being placed back in their apertures. Frequently, these types of lamps would have rings or patterns of holes drilled in the upper part of the outer casing, to dissipate heat.

No, not an electronics question but I'd like to know about the little plant pots sat on coach roofs and how best I should go about modelling them. They show up in drawings I have, but as photos of the prototype are scarce from any direction, ones showing exactly how to interpret the drawings are even sparser!

Have a look at

www.broadgauge.org.uk/modelling/bgs_parts_prices_4mm.html

Here you will find some pictures of models made from kits sold by Broad Gauge Society which include Dean convertible coaches some of which ran into the 1930s.

The Society also sells components which include cast white metal oil lamps as in the pictures. Contact details of how to buy these are on the web page quoted.

Many kits and items are also available in 7mm scale.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard,

Here are a couple of photos I took on the Bluebell in 2006 of an LBSCR 1880s First class coach with oil lamps.

post-203-0-08191500-1345564138.jpg

post-203-0-45531400-1345564140_thumb.jpg

Hope this shows the idea. I think the lids sat on a spike.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Richard,

Here are a couple of photos I took on the Bluebell in 2006 of an LBSCR 1880s First class coach with oil lamps.

post-203-0-08191500-1345564138.jpg

post-203-0-45531400-1345564140_thumb.jpg

Hope this shows the idea. I think the lids sat on a spike.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave now that is perfect! Many Thanks, makes a lot more sense now!

Archived