Parkside V12

• RMweb Premium

The 4th van is a Coopercraft V5. That is also on a Morgan under frame. I have attached a photo I posted a little while back on one of the threads "somewhere".

The open is also a Coopercraft. I have another two Coopercraft 4 plankers finished now and will be doing timber loads and tarps like this for them.

Regards,

Craig W

attachicon.gif10626165_10205158476868159_8061823388981791845_o.jpg

Thanks very much, some excelent modelling, I like the way the tarp is tied down.

• RMweb Premium

If you want an excuse for another V16, the GWR built some for the Rhymney Railway in about 1921. Of course, it soon got them back but at least one lasted quite a while in Rhymney livery. If memory serves me correctly it is Van 615 in the background of a goods yard photo (Midland Record preview issue, p 50).

But don't ask me about the finer points of V hangers or sliding shutters.

Jonathan

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Rob,

Thanks for the kind words.... now get yours done!

Regards,

Craig W

I've started ! I bought some whitemetal replacement buffers from LMS [b019] 2 rib 13'' head but I'm having doubts now on whether these are correct on a V12.Anyone help.

• RMweb Gold

I've started ! I bought some whitemetal replacement buffers from LMS [b019] 2 rib 13'' head but I'm having doubts now on whether these are correct on a V12.Anyone help.

A dated photo is what you want I'm checking several wagons out for myself including a V12 if I find it I will post it on here I'm just waiting for SWMBO to go back to work next week. 

Edited by 81C

• 3 weeks later...

All wagons use Morgan design under frames, Exactoscale couplings (with a smiths Instanter link on the fitted vans) and a few other bists.

attachicon.gifParkside vans.jpg

Regards,

Craig W

I tried the Morgan under frame but couldn't get very far because the instructions cover every kit all in one. How did you do it?

Hi Rob,

I have actually been rather efficient and finished 3 of the Parkside vans, with a fourth one on the list along with a few of the O11/15 opens. All wagons use Morgan design under frames, Exactoscale couplings (with a smiths Instanter link on the fitted vans) and a few other bits. I am modelling around 1922-1924 (and tending back to around 1921 - 1922) so they are finished in a mix of the 16" and earlier lettering using Fox Transfers. paint is Valejo Panzer Grey let down with some white. All are weathered and have shunters scribbles. I think that covers most of the info. They are nice kits.

Apart from creating havoc in the Oxford Rail Dean goods thread, I do actually get some modelling done!

attachicon.gifParkside vans.jpg

Regards,

Craig W

Craig, I see that on van 85274 you used the Martin Goodall trick (one of the MRJ issues) of missing out the i in 'VENTILATED' whereas in van 93085 you managed to get it all in (as you did in the Coopercraft V5 69891 in a later post #24).

Is there a specific reason for getting it all in sometimes and others not?

Please no one answer that one time it was too long and other times not!

Edited by HowardGWR

Craig, I see that on van 85274 you used the Martin Goodall trick (one of the MRJ issues) of missing out the i in 'VENTILATED' whereas in van 93085 you managed to get it all in (as you did in the Coopercraft V5 69891 in a later post #24).

Is there a specific reason for getting it all in sometimes and others not?

Please no one answer that one time it was too long and other times not!

Hi Howard,

I found that the Fox lettering simply did not fit on the vans and had to fudge. The human brain notices some letters more than others so I just cut them down. The NCU plates are just black paint with scribbles on them. I could have used Methfix, but the first time I did that there was a huge disagreement between the methfix and the Valejo paints that i like using. So, bodge it I did, working on the basis that I wanted to finish rather than bog myself down in more procrastination.

In the end, because bodging like that worries me, I commissioned Fox Transfers to do proper "ventilated" and ventilated van" markings as well as the two types of Non common user markings. If you do not want to bodge yourself, I would suggest contacting Fox and ask about them. if there are any issues I will happily give them permission to sell them.

I currently have another Parkside van (also 2 x O11 in progress 3 x 3 plank opens) in progress and will put a photo on here when they are done.

Penrhos, I think it would be fair to say that the Morgan instructions are a little verbose (with the best of intentions) and a little confusing. When I build one, I keep the general instructions and the drawing for the one I am doing together and put the other bits to the side. I find the most confusing bits with the DC3 to be folding up the ratchet. I drill out the brake rod holes (0.7mm) and the DC3 lever holes (0.5mm) and assemble them and fit the various parts off them to see what else has to be done. The only other tricky bit after assembling the ratchet is fitting it, but it does fit correctly.

i would suggest trying this, if you want, I will take some photos of the DC3 ones I have just built and put them on here.

Regards,

Craig W

Craig, on 'VENTLATED'.  I should not be too concerned.  Probably due to my myopia and an unfortunate habit of picking everything apart, I have discovered that I notice what 99% of us do not, because I tend to read every letter in every word, for some peculiar reason..  As evidence, nobody picked up on that one, until I did.   It's a bit like 'layout coaches', about which I am still chuckling, after reading about the concept here.  I think your photos on Morgan etched wagon underframes will be much appreciated, when you have time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Penrhos, I think it would be fair to say that the Morgan instructions are a little verbose (with the best of intentions) and a little confusing. When I build one, I keep the general instructions and the drawing for the one I am doing together and put the other bits to the side. I find the most confusing bits with the DC3 to be folding up the ratchet. I drill out the brake rod holes (0.7mm) and the DC3 lever holes (0.5mm) and assemble them and fit the various parts off them to see what else has to be done. The only other tricky bit after assembling the ratchet is fitting it, but it does fit correctly.

There are also errors on the diagrams for the layout of the brake gear in the Morgan kits. I mailed Mr Morgan to let him know but his rude, arrogant and condescending reply didn't warrant any further correspondence and he was added to my blacklist of "suppliers with bad attitude" that I won't be dealing with.

There are also errors on the diagrams for the layout of the brake gear in the Morgan kits. I mailed Mr Morgan to let him know but his rude, arrogant and condescending reply didn't warrant any further correspondence and he was added to my blacklist of "suppliers with bad attitude" that I won't be dealing with.

Yet I found the exact opposite. I ordered a good selection of chassis parts from him when he was trading himself and when I received them found he was horrified by the postal charges. As i live in Australia, they are just something you have to wear. But he gave me quite a selection of extra parts for free.

In any case, he no longer plays a part in the range but you can order from the public shop of the Scalefour Society.

I will post some photos shortly of the underframes for those who are interested. The last few weeks have been rather warm over here with quite a few days in the mid 40's. The pool or the lounge are far more appealing at present!

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 22/11/2016 at 08:07, Craigw said:

Hi Rob,

I have actually been rather efficient and finished 3 of the Parkside vans, with a fourth one on the list along with a few of the O11/15 opens. All wagons use Morgan design under frames, Exactoscale couplings (with a smiths Instanter link on the fitted vans) and a few other bits. I am modelling around 1922-1924 (and tending back to around 1921 - 1922) so they are finished in a mix of the 16" and earlier lettering using Fox Transfers. paint is Valejo Panzer Grey let down with some white. All are weathered and have shunters scribbles. I think that covers most of the info. They are nice kits.

Apart from creating havoc in the Oxford Rail Dean goods thread, I do actually get some modelling done!

post-244-0-78872000-1479801708_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Craig W

How did you do the scribbles?  We’re the a commission from Fox?

24 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

How did you do the scribbles?  We’re the a commission from Fox?

The squiggles are actually just done with a very fine paint brush and slightly off white paint. I tend to confine myself to crosses, numbers and such or the occasional destination. They have to look scribbled or quickly applied - which they were.

I have now had transfers done (via Fox) for the "Ventilated Van" marking and also the earlier NCU marking.  I need to do another couple of vans to use them now!

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Craigw said:

The squiggles are actually just done with a very fine paint brush and slightly off white paint. I tend to confine myself to crosses, numbers and such or the occasional destination. They have to look scribbled or quickly applied - which they were.

Railtec do a 4mm pack of chalk destinations for the Western.

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1246

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone know what diagram the Peco 7mm kit covers? These are much earlier than my usual period but it will be a one off so I cant really justify trying to get the books.

Edited by Hal Nail

• 4 months later...

Well its not a Parkside V12, but I cannot be bothered to start another thread. A bit of wagon building progress. The first is a David Geen covered van, then a David Geen 3 plank wagon and finally a Coopercraft 4 plank wagon. I have 6 built up now and another 15 on the pile. Luckily, I like 4 plank wagons. The 4 plank has a Morgan Design underframe while the two white metal kits are built as intended but with extra work on the brakegear. The TOAD is a modfied Hornby one. Fitted with rod step support brackets to make it an earlier AA15. It finally has the correct 10 spoke wheels too. All are finished in the 25" livery and still require final touching up and then weathering. Anyway, some progress. 

Regards,

Craig W

IMG_E3345.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1