GWR 6 Ton Yard Crane for 4mm

Hi All,

Does anyone have plans, or know of any for the above crane please? Better still, does anyone know if one has ever been produced? Given the number of these cranes that seem to have been used all over the GWR, it just seems a bit strange no manufacturer (as far as I can tell) has ever produced one. Maybe it's not the right time now given the recession, but would any manufacturer like to consider producing one?

Yours in hope,

Mark

Mike's Models do a GWR Medium Yard Crane - is this the 6-ton crane?

http://www.holtmodel...o.php?code=MM37

There is also the wagon-mounted 6-ton crane from Cambrian.

http://cambrianmodel...k/gwwagons.html

Adrian

Thanks for the replies. The Mike's Models crane as far as I can tell is not the 6 ton crane. I'm aware of the Cambrian 6 ton crane and match truck, these were used at locations that didn't have a yard crane of their own. I will get in touch with the GWR Journal people, I know they have published plans for one. Scratchbuilding one is probably the only answer.

The most common (I think) variety of crane was very distinctive - it looked like a larger version of the Mikes Models one (the capacity of which looks rather less than 6 tons)s and could be found at Lambourn, Moretonhampstead, Hemyock and Helston amongst others. So far as I'm aware, there are no kits available - I wish there were!

However, there were a number of different designs in use, probably purchased from different suppliers than built in house. The Cambrian version could be dismounted and stuck on a brick plinth - I'm sure I've seen an almost identical crane somewhere at a GWR BLT but which one I can't recall! If going down this route, then I suspect the jib might be too short to be very useful i.e. it doesn't look as though it could lift a container on or off a conflat, for instance.

My solution was to adapt the Peco yard crane by replacing the jib with a scratchbuilt one - a relatively simple build using Evergreen plastic girders and plastic rod. The result is very similar to the 6 ton example at Tetbury, although the winding mechanisms, gears etc are not identical. When I get the chance, I'll post a pic of it.

David C

• 7 years later...
On 21/08/2012 at 13:50, markyb208 said:

Hi All,

Does anyone have plans, or know of any for the above crane please? Better still, does anyone know if one has ever been produced? Given the number of these cranes that seem to have been used all over the GWR, it just seems a bit strange no manufacturer (as far as I can tell) has ever produced one. Maybe it's not the right time now given the recession, but would any manufacturer like to consider producing one?

Yours in hope,

Mark

sorry to invigorate an Old thread as it’s probably a touch useless now but I also struggled to find a source of a decent 6T crane

this has been the results of my own 3D printing to produce one 

ADED3BB4-CFC8-49EB-BC3A-B71543A854DC.jpeg.595fb66ecc55556868afcbdced617123.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Tim V said:

Not a bad rendition - compares well with an original.

Is the top level? From your angle of picture, it doesn't quite look it.

Bath Westmoreland Goods late evening 11-06-1978 129-10.jpg

The top section was the hardest to work out the correct angle, I think this is the best shot of it from what I took today. 

05C71B1A-B9A0-4C33-90CA-66C434C011B1.png.b0a8886a79d235acb0947324cf0c423a.png

just as I finished it and did this print, someone from the pendon lot sent this to me which I wish I hand I was designing it.

BD803664-E046-4E62-86C3-C88D0E8D833B.jpeg.f94f8a2f8c27460b1f094f6b7f84ca18.jpeg

I definitely think My design is a little bit too pointed up but as you can see the prototype is not as level as you and certainly I first thought

John

Edited by Johndc120
Correction
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Philou said:

A question if I may? Am I correct in assuming the jib is at a fixed angle given the solid metalwork between the jib end and the gearing at the base?

Cheers,

Philip

Hi Philip,

Yes, pretty standard for a hand crane, they are a fixed angle so they were placed at a set distance from the rails so they could lift objects out of the wagons and then move the load to anywhere on a radius. Usually onto a road vehicle or onto a pile which would later be put shifted. It was manual labour though so double handling was avoided

John

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

It seems ages since I did my prototype and after a lot of rework particularly on the mechanical workings on the base Can finally say it’s to a standard I’m happy with. 

AF29C189-7BC7-4989-A782-12F12DCD4B65.jpeg.19396763fa488f56ce415c85b970c63c.jpeg

E027A1C7-B14D-48B2-9513-D9BD1705B7A6.jpeg.f12a5cb73dd744cfb40125c1cd5faa87.jpeg

0EBA597D-C922-4DD4-AC70-32296FC0395D.jpeg.c1cec3bac6a4e0f12fb746c6d954ea70.jpeg

36823667-E031-48F3-A2F4-E49AE23D0700.jpeg.434756440828fff627c15eaab370f6b1.jpeg

Seen below on a friends layout who has fully finished it including hanging the block on the chain. I’m really happy with the way it hangs

F41CBB32-472E-41F3-9E0B-A01D8F388056.jpeg.7e479036ef58a54a979657fbccfcbd84.jpeg

If anyone is particularly after one then give me a message and I’ll be happy to do one for you

john

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I found the instructions confusing and was not sure I had sufficient parts. They’re laser cut ply which I glued together with cyano. I seemed to end up making extra bits myself. There are scale drawings in Great Western Journal edition 0 (preview) that I used as reference. If you treat the kit as a useful set of scratch aids that gives you about 80% of what you need you won’t be disappointed.

With perseverance it’ll make up into a nice model. Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1