P4 CONVERSION PACK FOR Dapol WESTERN, BEATTIE WELL TANK AND Hornby WEST COUNTRY PACIFIC

Afternoon all,

13 of the 30 Dapol Beattie P4 conversion packs have now been reserved with eleven of the £33.33 development monies in the project account.

I also have orders for 2 EM gauge packs.

Best regards

Dave

Aft'noon all,

Two new 'OO' diesel hydraulic releases from Dapol (the Western and the D6xx warship) will feature on Torr Giffard in P4 and I shall be discussing P4 conversion packs for both with David Rodgers. I already have two Ultrascale P4 converted Dapol class 22 hydraulics on TG and can vouch for their excellent running qualities.

Priority number one for P4 diesel hydraulic fans has to be to have the option of quality conversion packs on the radar as soon as possible. The price is going to have to be worked on but expressions of interest from P4 modellers will demonstrate that the demand is there, if the sums are right.

Latest re the Dapol Western and a possible Ultrascale P4 conversion pack is that I will be supplying David with a loco for evaluation once mine arrive. The crunch point for the D6xx warship pack is the type of pick ups used...if it is wipers on wheels then the pack is relatively straightforward, if similar to the class 22 then we have a problem.

Dapol Dave of this parish advises that the D6xx Warship is still being developed and he cannot enlighten us of the pick up method used as yet.

Best regards

Dave

Aft'noon all,

14 of the 30 limited edition Ultrascale P4 conversion packs for the Dapol Beattie well tank have now been reserved with at least 11 of the £33.33 development monies paid.

I also have 2 orders for EM gauge packs.

Best regards

Dave

Hi Peter,

I'll happily add you to the EM pack list, however, it is probably wise to wait until 10 EM gauge packs are reserved before taking any development monies for the EM packs because the £1000 development cost for such packs will need to be shared in the same way as in the P4 route.

13 of the 14 lots of development money for the Beattie project are now in the P4 projects account.

Best regards

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mornin' all,

David Rodgers is looking for interest/commitment levels in conversion packs for the new Western....this will directly influence whether the pack happens or not. Click on the link below and follow David's instructions if you're interested.

I will be sending one of my Westerns to him for evaluation once they arrive.

http://www.ultrascale.com/node/37  

Cheers

Dave

If sufficient P4 modellers can't be found for precision P4 conversion packs at £30 a go, then I'll have to eat a few hats!!

It might be useful to buy a pack even if you're not immediately going to buy a Dapol "Western", but are waiting until after the fuss has died down.

Evenin' all,

Andy York will be sending one of his blue Westerns to David Rodgers at Ultrascale during the coming days for evaluation re conversion packs. This saves waiting for my Maroon versions to arrive.

This didn't work out due to Andy's model being partly converted to EM at or immediately after the Doncaster show.

Cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Evenin' all,

Please note the newly announced cut off date for interest in the Western wheelset conversions on the Ultrascale website and that they are likely to be a 'one off'.

There is reason to be optimistic for a conversion pack for each gauge.

There are 14 deposits of £33.33 in the account for the Dapol Beattie well tank P4 conversion packs for the 14 sets reserved so far. 

Cheers

Dave 

• 2 weeks later...

Mornin' all,

The Dapol Western conversion packs have been tested and are successful.

Those who expressed an interest should now go to the Ultrascale website and order/pay for what they expressed an interest in.

Any outstanding orders can be made but priority will be given to those who expressed an interest. 

Please don't request any other Ultrascale products on the same order as these packs.

Cheers

Dave

Aft'noon all,

Here are some views of the newly converted P4 Dapol Western

Key aspects of the conversion are:

It took me a full day to do it.

The biggest time consumer is that all inner brake blocks had to be cut from the bogie moulding with a fine razor saw before being thinned and remounted. I used evergreen plastic tube with a piece of brass wire to act as the hanger for each brake block. I've left them unpainted at the moment so that the technique can be seen on the video clips. Once the bogie is weathered the mount will vanish in the grime.

The brake rods which run along the outside of the wheel sets need some trimming too once the new wheelsets are inserted.

The twin pipes which pass over the offside front wheel at each end need to be carefully re-fitted so that they don't touch the wheel.

All sandpipes have been angled to point under the wheel treads as per the prototype. 

The conductor between rim and axle is within the disc on these sets....no other pick up is required.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Dave    

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Evenin' all,

The Dapol Western wheelset release followed the same format as that planned for both the Hornby West Country and Dapol Beattie Well tank issues and worked well. David Rodgers is happy with the way in which the process works and this bodes well for our two outstanding wheelset releases. 

The batting order now is: 4mm Britannia wheelsets (already in the queue when I made the initial arrangements with David); Hornby West Country wheelset completion (already part done); Dapol Beattie well tank wheelsets.

Best regards

Dave

• RMweb Gold

The batting order now is: 4mm Britannia wheelsets (already in the queue when I made the initial arrangements with David); Hornby West Country wheelset completion (already part done); Dapol Beattie well tank wheelsets.

Whoa, hang on Dave, I'd like my wezzie wheels first!

Mike.

Whoa, hang on Dave, I'd like my wezzie wheels first!

Mike.

Mornin' Mike,

.....sorry,.... I was PM'd about progress and was simply updating everyone. The Western conversion is a nice job....well worth waiting a few days for. 

Cheers

Dave

• 3 months later...

Archived