Triang Lord Of The Isles

Bought an old Lord Of The Isles on eBay and thought I could live with the way the front end looks, but I can't. Found a drawing by J.N. Maskelyne in the December 1951 issue of Model Railway News and will try to make the loco look like that. The chassie is converted to 2-2-2, looks (is) primitive but it works. More pictures to follow. :)

post-12040-0-66864200-1345640782_thumb.jpg

post-12040-0-37516000-1345640826_thumb.jpg

post-12040-0-41103700-1345640872_thumb.jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Like buffalo, I found the Railmatch Indian Red a bit too purple, so I mixed 75% Railmatch and 25% Humbrol 133. To me it looks OK, but is it?

It looks rather pale and rather too red in comparison with contemporaneous postcard and colour prints. Mind you what I don't know is if they were accurate in the first place and the impact of any fading over the past century and a bit.

• RMweb Gold

It does look pale and red. I snapped the photo in rather bright sunlight, in "normal" indoor lighting it looks warmer and less red. It's a dilemma.

Lighting (and camera, and screen, 'interpretation') are always a problem. It is definitely paler and redder than the illustration on p.19 of the latest edition of 'Great Western Way' and quite a bit different from the colour shown in the colour blocks in that publication - but that is acknowledged as probably not quite right. I have compared a contemporaneous 'Raiiway Magazine' print of No.40 with the page 19 illustration and it is slightly more towards the brown but if does vary as it is shown part in and part out of shade - I don't think that print has faded to be honest judging by the colour of the paper and I keep it out of the light.

Very interested in this project as it is something I have considered but never got round to doing.

Could I ask how you did the chassis extension for the leading wheels.

Also the wheels look much finer than Triang originals - presumably they are replacements.

I made the extension of plastic sheet, mainly 1 mm thickness, and Tamiya White Putty. I used Plastic Weld when glueing plastic to plastic and CA-glue and baking powder for plastic to metal. It's solid as a rock when properly cured (a couple of days to be safe) easily shaped, with no problem when drilling the hole for the brass tube. The leading and trailing wheels are Alan Gibson 4'6", 14 spoke. They have the same diameter as the original Triang trailing wheel. I hope this will be helpful in getting you started.