Triang Lord Of The Isles

• RMweb Gold

There must be something very satisfying about taking an old model and making something as good as this out of it. Like many older modellers on here i suspect, I always had a soft spot for the Tri-ang Lord of the Isles, though i never owned one. You've retained the character of the original (that's a complement by the way!) and improved it no end. Really good work.

Alastair M

Thanks Alastair!

I'm pleased you feel it retained it's character, it was one of my goals. I actually used some bits from the City of Truro-kit aswell, like the tender buffer beam which I put on the loco, wheel springs, the brake columns on the tender, the GWR emblem on the tender and the number plate. It felt appropriate to use some of the old stuff together with the Gibson bits etc.

Regards,

Stefan

I always thought the 4-2-2 Dean single looked elegant, but there's something about the proportions of the 2-2-2 that makes it even better. (But before the BLT fans get too excited, it's worth remembering the singles would have been, in modern parlance, 'red route only' engines.)

• Like 4

Yes, they are the original driving wheels. Inspite of their age, they work fine on the Tillig track (in the pictures) A conversion to EM means a new set of wheels, I assume? I don't envy your conversion, but a new set of drivers will no doubt enhance the loco further!

• RMweb Gold

Only just found this. Really nice conversion job! But the paintjob is what gives it that extra character, I think. There's a certain style of painting that just somehow looks "right" and characterful on a loco, and I think you've hit it here.

I agree. The 2-2-2 is more pleasing to the eye. There's something about the 4-2-2 that's not quite right. Maybe it's because I'm Swedish and it's too exotic.

I agree. I think it's the bogies next to the large driving wheels that made them look a bit "unbalanced".

• Like 1

Thanks Mikkel, I really appreciate your kind words!

I must admit that your work made me take a closer look at the late Victorian/Edwardian GWR and pushed me to try something non-Swedish. I'm pretty much hooked.

• Like 1

Nice one Stefan!

It is great to see some of the earlier GWR stuff done - it is really unusual to see a Dean 2-2-2 in model form and this is a very well done one at that. I look forward to seeing the Dean Goods develop!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 3

Thanks Castle!

In a not too distant future I will try to start on some type of scenery to complement the locos. My bush that serves as a backdrop in the pictures looks OK I suppose, but a proper railway environment will be better.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How did I manage to miss this?

Like all other contributors to this thread, I'm thoroughly inspired, knobhead. Well done!!

As a prospective Edwardian modeller myself, I shall watch all developments in respect of your 31XX with the greatest of interest. However, just before I go, may I ask with regard to the Lord of the Isles conversion, will the larger flanged Triang driving wheels traverse code 75 track and pointwork, or is it safer to use code 100?

Best wishes and thanks for sharing once again,

Jonte.

• Like 1

Thanks Jonte!

I've only tried the loco on Tillig code 83 (?) and Peco code 100 on which the wheel worked fine. No curves or pointwork were involved so I really don't know what would happen on a layout or on code 75.

Regards,

Stefan

Thanks Jonte!

I've only tried the loco on Tillig code 83 (?) and Peco code 100 on which the wheel worked fine. No curves or pointwork were involved so I really don't know what would happen on a layout or on code 75.

Regards,

Stefan

Thanks, knobhead !!

BTW: typing your user name makes me howl. Brilliant!!

• Like 1

knobhead - you are an inspiration. Well done. I am enjoying all of your conversions.

I was doing some research to do something similar to what you did with your Lord of the Isles and I came across photos of what the real engine looked like when built. Have you considered doing Lord of the Isles in this way with exposed & larger wheels, no cab roof etc? I found some photos at http://spellerweb.ne...oftheIsles.html and was thinking how elegant something along these lines would look.

Edited by hap
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...