mgr

unidan

Hi All,

I'm trying to find out whether Farish do a mgr wagon for the 1980's early 90's era.

I currently have a rake of minitrix ones and would like to find out the general consensus as to which ones people think are the best, before I invest further in them.

Your opinions are valued.

Marc

Hi All,

I'm trying to find out whether Farish do a mgr wagon for the 1980's early 90's era.

I currently have a rake of minitrix ones and would like to find out the general consensus as to which ones people think are the best, before I invest further in them.

Marc

I have 36 MGRs from Bachmann-Farish's first run of their new tooling model. It's very nice, they run well, have accurate disc brake representation on one wheel of each axle.

I can recommend it highly - not sure how it compares to the old Trix model, but if nothing else the wheels will be better being metal and fine profile.

Peco also do an HAA, that may be worth looking into too.

Cheers,

Alan

I have 36 MGRs from Bachmann-Farish's first run of their new tooling model. It's very nice, they run well, have accurate disc brake representation on one wheel of each axle.

I can recommend it highly - not sure how it compares to the old Trix model, but if nothing else the wheels will be better being metal and fine profile.

Peco also do an HAA, that may be worth looking into too.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan, do you know anyone who still stocks them?

Cheers, Marc

Purely from a perceived fidelity point of view (rather than actual accuracy - I'm not knowledgeable enough in that regards) but the Fraish ones seem to me to be the best of the bunch. I own multiples of all three manufacturers' versions, and none of them are duffers, but the Farish ones seem to edge it on quality and certainly on price.

Hi Alan, do you know anyone who still stocks them?

Cheers, Marc

Not sure Marc, they were bought right when first released a couple of years back now, and I think that particular model is long out of stock at most big retailers (though worth phoning round some of the smaller ones to see if they have a few pugged away). Farish did have trouble with the body tooling and I think after this first batch the body tooling was redone to give the rivet detail more prominance (though I think the first ones look just fine personally).

Looks like another run is pending - with catalogue number 373-901B. This is the same as the ones I have, but presumably a 3rd batch, different running numbers. Don't know when it's due, so you might have to hold on for a bit.

Worth waiting though, it's a nice model. Has the edge on the Peco one IMHO as the Peco one has shorter buffers (so it'll couple closer with their elsie coupler) which to my eyes don't look quite right.

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Marc

Hi

I have both Farish and Minitrix ones and the main difference is the tops of the ends are curved on the Farish version. Personally I think the Farish one has the edge over Minitrix. I did have a couple of Peco ones but wasn't happy with them (they looked out of place with the Farish and Minitrix).

Cheers

Paul

I have a rake of all 3 manufactures MGR's, And I have to agree with everyone else. The minitrix MGR is better than the peco version but not as good as the farish version. Also the peco version costs a fortune ??12.50 compaired to ??8 for the farish

The peco ones couple closer but really need a spot of weight and metal wheels adding. I have a rake of Peco CDAs and for MGRs I've got trix ones (as the Trix ones do 6" curves and the Farish don't - joys of BP&GV microlayouts 8). The Farish ones are I think the nicest of the lot.

The following notes were written in November 2004 (over five years ago) just after the launch of the Peco version but before the Farish version was available and may be of interest;

N Gauge ??“ HAA merry-go-round hopper wagon

Several years ago when Hornby Mintrix still marketed a range of British N gauge 1:148 outline models it included an HAA merry-go-round hopper wagon which was considered, at the time, to be one of the finest and most accurate models of the genre. When the range was withdrawn the popularity of the wagon ensured that second-hand examples could change hands at eye-wateringly high prices. And, as part of the many polls conducted amongst N gauge enthusiasts, the HAA MGR hopper always headed the list of most highly desired wagon as a replacement RTR subject. As such it came as no surprise that both Peco and Bachmann (under the Graham Farish brand) considered it ripe for development and production as a new N gauge model.

Peco were first to launch their version in October 2004. It was somewhat quietly introduced and consequently came as bit of a surprise. Bachmann were still in the development process and were not expecting to have their version available until early 2005. However, they had been parading a pre-production example of it at various exhibitions (including Warley, Ally Pally and the N Gauge Show) and on their website. Therefore, the launch of Peco version was a bit of a coup as they had, in almost complete secrecy, developed and made available a completely new wagon. And the surprise was that this was Pecos first all new wagon for many years including featuring a new chassis and being based on a actual fairly modernish prototype.

The first Peco wagon was a pre TOPs HAA MGR coal hopper coded Hop 32 AB in silver livery with bauxite cradle strapping and black under-frame is available in six different wagon running numbers. At the time of launch Peco announced that they would also be shortly producing a Railfreight version with red cradle framing and a number of specific accessories including top extensions and china clay sheeting. The Railfreight version, an HAA with red cradle frame arrived just a few weeks later in early November.

The model

The wagon is basically an all plastic affair with separate mouldings for the body, chassis and cradle frame. There is a small metal rectangle to provide a bit of additional weight trapped between the body and chassis which clip together. On each side of the body of the pre TOPs version is a finely printed data panel with readable HOP AB code, tare of 13 and wagon number plus an electrification warning symbol.

The body and cradle are finely detailed while the chassis includes a wealth of details including pipe runs recessed in to the sole bars, handbrake rigging, discharge actuators and axle box springing. Overall the wagon includes some of the finest moulded details that I??™ve ever seen on any N gauge wagon. The look of the wagon faithfully captures the character of the prototype and when compared against the real wagon there appears to be nothing major missing or out of place.

The wagon is fitted with Pecos own spring-less ELSIE (easy light lift coupling) rapido style coupler that is common on all their N gauge wagon range. This allows the wagons to be easily coupled by pushing together and with a far closer nearer scale distance than is achieved by the sprung version fitted to Farish and Minitrix stock. Unfortunately, probably as a compromise of needing to negotiate set-track curves with the close coupling provided, the buffers are somewhat rather small and undersized.

There is one other downside issue and that is the use of plastic wheel-sets which are fitted to the wagon. Now that the majority of other N gauge manufacturers are using metal low profile blackened wheels to NMRA standards it would have been an ideal opportunity for Peco to upgrade their wagon range.

Comparisons

The new Peco wagon is bound to be compared with the old defunct Minitrix HAA wagon. Against the Minitrix version it looks very similar in style meaning that both versions could easily be run side by side without any obvious or glaring differences. However, upon close inspection the Peco offers finer moulding and is, in my opinion, a better product. It has more detail and improved fidelity in the under-frame area, increased riveting on the cradle frame, a less pronounced top lip and finer thinner end stanchions, as well as coupling closer together.

Comparison with the Farish version when it becomes available will also be inevitable. At the moment only a pre-production version has been exhibited so a direct comparison would be unfair although it too looks like it will be an accurate and well detailed model. It would seem that the real competition will be in the selling price. The Peco wagon list price is currently ??11.25 while the Farish version is on their website with a proposed price of ??7.10 although of course these will be discounted by bulk dealing retailers.

The prototype

The first Peco model is based on the original version of the wagon when it was introduced in the late 1960??™s. Vast numbers were built and they ran in long rakes, normally of 36 wagons, to improve the efficiency of coal deliveries from the pits to the then new electricity generating power stations on a continual merry-go-round basis. Later they were incorporated in to the new BR TOPs computer system coded as HAAs. Some were converted in to covered CDA variants for the conveyance of China clay and Peco have announced that they intend to produce such coverings as an accessory. Although still in use around the country they are gradually being replaced with larger capacity bogie wagons.

Summary

Without doubt this is a very welcome and highly demanded wagon. It fills the gap left by the demise of the Minitrix version very well indeed and Peco are to be congratulated in making an accurate and well detailed relatively modern wagon. The downside is that it??™s shortly going to be replicated by the introduction of another version providing unnecessary competition and potentially wasted development and manufacturing effort. It??™s going to be a matter of you pays your money and you takes your choice??¦??¦.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

What diameter wheels do the new Farish and the older Peco wagons have?

I am told HAAs have very large wheels, 4' or so ?

Regards

Ben

Hi

Based on the drawings I have (which don't give the wheel diameter) I would say around 3'6" diameter based on known dimensions.

The Farish wheel is around 7mm diameter and the Peco one is their standard size wheel.

Cheers

Paul

I thought I would try and answer my own question by locating and buying a farish version, which I picked up from my local model shop (surprise surprise) for ??7.70, I also see the peco version but it was ??11.96 and far too expensive.

First impression was how similar they are, but then I quickly could see the pros and cons of each... heres what I found.

The mintrix version has a slight lip round the top edge and is more accurate on the farish version.

The farish version includes the brace alongside 1 wheel each side as per the real thing which is missing from the minitrix version, sorry I don't know the correct name for this part.

I found the detailing on the underframe of the minitrix version to be better, with the leafing visible on the suspension (unlike the farish) and the various catches and handles having more detail.

The rivots on farish version are slightly more crisper.

The support frame on the farish version is slightly less chunky.

Closer coupling from the box is achieved on the farish version.

The wheels are interchangeable so its possible to easily fit some slim line farish wheels on the minitrix version.

Transfers more accurate size on the farish version.

So Basically I have come to the conclusion that the farish version is better (in agreeance with what has already been posted)

Hi

Based on the drawings I have (which don't give the wheel diameter) I would say around 3'6" diameter based on known dimensions.

The Farish wheel is around 7mm diameter and the Peco one is their standard size wheel.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul

As to prototype diameter, the number 1092 comes into my head as I type, but no idea where I got that. 1092mm would be 3'7". It sounds like Farish might be using the same wheel they use on their Stanier coaches, which is 7.46mm dia hard against the flange and 7.2mm where it sits on the rail.

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

Peco sell Wagon kits in n, i.e. KNR-67 is the Bulk Grain 15Ft wheelbase wagon, they are unpainted and unlettered, apart from that they take 2 minutes to assemble.

The attractive thing is the price, you can buy 6 kits for the price of 2 wagons.

Unfortunately the MGR is not in the range.

Archived