Farish Ivatt 2MT

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Well, I was hoping I'd be able to post a glowing 'it was worth the wait' review of the Ivatt, but sadly my example ran like a bag of nails, surging along as though there were two very tight spots in the motion. A good session of running in tonight hasn't eased the problem and i'd even go so far to say it's probably the worst performing Farish model I've received in recent times, so it's back in the box waiting to be returned to the shop for exchange first thing Monday.

Visually it's a lovely little model, but mechanically my example was a complete dog, so clearly Farish haven't got the quality control nailed quite yet.

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

The WD is actually the best running Farish model I've had in recent times, and the STD 5 is not far off. That said both models have had Zimo chips fitted and the CV's tweaked quite a bit to get consistent slow speed running out of them. I have read another report of a poor running Ivatt with similar symptoms to mine, so as usual sloppy QC is letting the side down. I can understand why some would be put off from modelling in N (Steam in particular) when these continuous QC issues make buying a model a game of chance, especially if you buy on-line. 

Tom. 

Well, I was hoping I'd be able to post a glowing 'it was worth the wait' review of the Ivatt, but sadly my example ran like a bag of nails, surging along as though there were two very tight spots in the motion. A good session of running in tonight hasn't eased the problem and i'd even go so far to say it's probably the worst performing Farish model I've received in recent times, so it's back in the box waiting to be returned to the shop for exchange first thing Monday.

Visually it's a lovely little model, but mechanically my example was a complete dog, so clearly Farish haven't got the quality control nailed quite yet.

Tom.

I agonized over buying an LMS one but succumbed at TINGS yesterday (Got mine from Osborns) with a view to changing it's identity to BR 46406 Late Crest which will be nice and simple as later in it's life it appears to have been unlined.  

I gave it a good running session last night initially with no load (as per instructions) and I can only say mine runs very sweetly indeed, on a par with the WD.

My only issue is the intended renumbering. Putting th BR crest on the tender and smaller numbers on the cab will mean any marks/blemishes from removing the larger LMS numbers and lettering will be very visible. I think I may end up masking and locally spraying tender and cab sides without trying to remove the existing ones.

But for now I will just enjoy it as it is  :)

Roy

• RMweb Gold

and I can only say mine runs very sweetly indeed

Ha, rub it in why don't you Roy  :blum:

At least some decent runners are out there, fingers crossed it's second time lucky!

Tom. 

so as usual sloppy QC is letting the side down. 

I suspect the current crop of locos are all suffering the same issue from one single component - tight spots and quartering issues from the plastic axle insulators on which the wheels are mounted. If they are even slightly misaligned when moulded then the wheels won't go on concentric to the axles. That and any quartering misalignments will cause exactly the symptoms many have described from various recent Farish loco powered models (3MT,5MT,WD, Ivatt).

I've seen this on the 5MT and also in a 3MT, which was particularly noticable as I was using the wheels from it on a 4-4-2T which accentuated wobbles created by this. Swapping the central insulator for one from the spare wheelset I wasn't using cured it.

Cheers,

Alan

I've fitted a Bachmann 6-pin and all is well. Loco and tender are slightly out of line (although so is my test track!), there is very, very slight limp but only apparent when the loco is barely moving (I'm talking steps below about 8!). I'm not complaining; it's the only thing that runs better than my Farish Black Five.

Yet to do any programming but I suspect the speed range will benefit from compression; power wise it seems that the loco, like the real thing, is capable of being thrashed with a fair load on but really ought to be restricted to about four coaches. It does seem a little short on grip and I suspect there is not a lot of room in that boiler for extra adhesive weight. On the plus side, the tender, despite its modest size, has a bit of room by the looks of it.

I am hearing an extraneous noise, like an electronic cat scarer, when the loco is running (not very loud I must say) - I wonder if this is a 'feature' of the new motor, which I am otherwise bowled over by?

Ok temptation got the better of me.

Am I the first to re-letter an LMS one into BR?

Now depicting 46406 in unlined BR black, reflecting a picture I found when trawling the Web from 1966.

I decided to very carefully paint out the LMS letters and the outline of them can still therefore be seen a little from some angles, but i have seen that on real locos!  

Next to weather lightly and add the bits from the goody-bag!

Roy

post-4469-0-66704400-1378745340_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics of the BR Black model, just received today.

Was it worth the protracted wait? IMHO, yes. Grumble grumble, for many years, but I think if we'd known how the final result would have turned out it would have pacified many. Farish have quietly added a few improvements to their established design, in particular a superior tender drawbar, which is basically the same now as some Kato locos. The loco and tender can be separated by just pulling apart. This still leaves two wires coupling the two, necessary for DCC, but there is a long amount of extra wire that allows the tender and loco to be well separated - likely hand for fitting the detail bits. Also, the valve gear securing screws seen on previous models have been replaced with hex pins so all crank pins are now the same.

Running out of the box is as to be expected from the recent coreless motor - super quiet and smooth. Mine's not run in yet, but has no wobbles or issues so far.

Loco is light, unsurprising perhaps given it's small nature. I've yet to test the haulage but suspect it'll be capable of pulling reasonable length trains, appropriate to the size of the loco. Mine came with the draincocks and vacuum pipe fitted, so the extras left to fit are the front steps, cab doors and weather shield and running plate brackets.

Those of a DCC leaning will be pleased to hear that the tender top just pops off to reveal a 6 pin socket. No screws or complex disassembly needed.

post-7627-0-41374200-1378756797_thumb.jpg

post-7627-0-25817200-1378756778.jpg

post-7627-0-50696300-1378756787.jpg

post-7627-0-17106500-1378756806.jpg

post-7627-0-70970300-1378756812.jpg

The only possible thing I can see that might warrant a little attention is the front footplate which looks slightly bent up on mine. Will give me an excuse to take the body off and peer inside... ;)

Overall another superb model to spoil us. :locomotive:

Cheers,
Alan

Here are some pics of the BR Black model, just received today.

Overall another superb model to spoil us. :locomotive:

Thanks for excellent pictures and mini review. I agree it looks like it was worth the wait.

Reading comments from those who bought the LMS variant there is some talk of a 'cab like' piece in the goody bag. I assume that is the tender half of the cab. Did you fit that on yours from the goody bag or was it pre-fitted?

Cheers

Dave

I've

Reading comments from those who bought the LMS variant there is some talk of a 'cab like' piece in the goody bag. I assume that is the tender half of the cab. Did you fit that on yours from the goody bag or was it pre-fitted?

Cheers

Dave

I've not fitted any of the detail bits yet - all still in the bag.

Cheers,
Alan

• RMweb Premium

This is a fantastic-looking model, and thanks to those who have loaded some photos. As with many N gauge steam locos, a negative aspect is the oversized valve gear, but I suppose that is inevitable for mass-produced models.

Nig H

This is a fantastic-looking model, and thanks to those who have loaded some photos. As with many N gauge steam locos, a negative aspect is the oversized valve gear, but I suppose that is inevitable for mass-produced models.

Nig H

Bear in mind that the valve gear is still tiny in reality - it looks very large in the photos because they are much much bigger than the diminutive size of the model in reality!

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to say that the replacement Ivatt arrived yesterday and this one runs as well as it looks! If Bachmann would tighten their QC a little then i'm sure problems like mine wouldn't happen but I guess the moral of the story is if you want to be certain, go to the shop and see it running before purchase!

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold

Who would have believed just a few years ago we would have RTR N gauge models which could stand up so well to such close up scrutiny:

post-1467-0-95087000-1379324968_thumb.jpg

The more I look at the 2MT the more I like it, and are the separately fitted back head gauges & associated pipework a first for a UK outline Steam engine in N Gauge? The only issue I have is that the footplate is slightly bend upwards, so some investigation will be needed to find out how best to rectify that, but otherwise I'm genuinely impressed by everything about it. It's a shame I had a dud runner to start with, but get a decent one and you have what I would probably say is the best release from Farish to date and certainly worth the extra long wait!

Tom. 

• RMweb Premium

Who would have believed just a few years ago we would have RTR N gauge models which could stand up so well to such close up scrutiny:

attachicon.gifCU0J0060.JPG

The more I look at the 2MT the more I like it, and are the separately fitted back head gauges & associated pipework a first for a UK outline Steam engine in N Gauge? The only issue I have is that the footplate is slightly bend upwards, so some investigation will be needed to find out how best to rectify that, but otherwise I'm genuinely impressed by everything about it. It's a shame I had a dud runner to start with, but get a decent one and you have what I would probably say is the best release from Farish to date and certainly worth the extra long wait!

Tom. 

I see it's got spoked tender wheels too--that's nice!

• RMweb Gold

I see it's got spoked tender wheels too--that's nice!

Indeed it has. 

Has anyone else tried to remove the coal load? Looking underneath the tender it appears to have a full depth coal space like the other recent releases, but it also seems the load is glued in place on my example. Over enthusiastic glue applicator in the factory perhaps?

Tom. 

Archived