Farish Ivatt 2MT

TomE

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Could I ask if anyone knows whether this loco has the new chassis arrangement of split-axle pick-up via bushes, which I believe I read somewhere was a feature of the WD and also one of the newer tender drive loco's? I'd love to have one of these in BR livery for sentimental reasons, but would want to eventually convert it to 2FS standards.

thanks,

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Izzy

The exploded diagram shows a split loco chassis with axle-bush pickup.

The tender has pinpoint axle-end pickups.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Roy

Yes Roy, that helps a lot in understanding the basic construction and what I might need to do to alter it to 2FS. Many thanks, it's much appreciated.

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Could I ask if anyone knows whether this loco has the new chassis arrangement of split-axle pick-up via bushes, which I believe I read somewhere was a feature of the WD and also one of the newer tender drive loco's? I'd love to have one of these in BR livery for sentimental reasons, but would want to eventually convert it to 2FS standards.

thanks,

Izzy

Hello Izzy,

I've just sent of some bits to the etchers, including a conversion kit for finescaling the Ivatt and the WD 2-8-0. The Ivatt kit includes some replacement valve gear but you could retain all the original parts, and a simple replacement tender chassis. I expect the parts to arrive in about a month, and I will then be able to see if what I've done works.

Nig H

• RMweb Premium

Hello Izzy,

I've just sent of some bits to the etchers, including a conversion kit for finescaling the Ivatt and the WD 2-8-0. The Ivatt kit includes some replacement valve gear but you could retain all the original parts, and a simple replacement tender chassis. I expect the parts to arrive in about a month, and I will then be able to see if what I've done works.

Nig H

Thanks for that info Nigel, that sounds rather good. My idea was really just to skim the wheelbacks and push out the b-t-b, especially with the WD which I'm also thinking of, where skimming the front faces as well to reduce the overall wheel thickness doesn't really seem an option, (something I've done with the 03/04/08). It was with this in mind that I was trying to discover the basic construction, i.e. whether the driven wheels are now the previous type castings with steel stub axles rather than the wheels on axles with plastic insulating bushes, but replacement valve gear/rods would be nice, the return cranks being the standout issue. It's the discovery that the rear driven wheels on both models have traction tyres that is now giving me second thoughts.

Izzy

• 2 weeks later...

I have got the early crest 2MT and it comes with a bag bits to fit .The diagram in the instructions does not show where they all go, can anyone help? There seems to be a spare cab roof and what looks like a couple of doors but I can't see where/how they would fit, there are also some other small parts.

Cab roof fits into the tender, the doors fit into the lugs on the back side of the cabsides - they are cab doors. The triangular brackets are for under the footplate between the mid and rear drivers. These are easiest to fit with the body removed I found.

Cheers,
Alan

My 2MT appeared this morning after a scare where Hattons thought I'd ordered a pair.  Fortunately a phone call before 8.30am on Saturday sorted that out.  It arrived with the J39.   Nice runner, well pleased.

post-13358-0-50293700-1382365384_thumb.jpg

Poor shot of it while doing its first running-in hour.   There will be a vid of it passing the J39 posted under the J39 topic.

However- the review in the Modeller is wrong in one respect- the 2MT does not run at the same speed as the J39,  or my WD,  or my Black 5.  Indeed the J39 is about 75% faster as a runner (though not as fast as a UM J39).   Not an issue to me as I don't double-head.

All the very best

Les

Just received mine. Initial impressions are that is a lovely model but the running is rather jerky and it keeps hesitating at around 1/3 power. Hopefully this will improve with proper running-in. Has anyone seen this with their examples?

Hi Les,

Some of the locos are compatible speed-wise. The WD and Ivatt run at the same speeds and I think the Standard 5 does too. The tender drive locos seem to run at similar speeds to each other.

Cheers,

Ian.

Mine don't - the WD took 5 laps of the layout to catch the Ivatt having started an inch ahead of it.  One lap is about 20 feet. so it is running 100 feet for the Ivatt's 80, which makes it 25% faster.

The J39 is the fastest of the lot - took well under two laps to catch the Ivatt.

Couple them together and they run at the speed of the slowest, though I couldn't make out if the J39 tender was slipping. 

Thinks- could double-heading be one reason some folk lose vastly more tyres than others?  

To repeat, different speeds aren't an issue to me as I don't double-head- it was a very rare event in the area I model.  I'm not modelling a line steep enough to have required bankers and the only example of topping-and-tailing I've found was a pair of 2MTs on a train that had seven wagons of steel coil.

All the very best

Les.

I tried to buy one the other day but after I after the first was test run in the shop and ran like a bag of spanners, and the second one was worst I gave up, I will still buy one but I need to maybe look at a different source the retailer was more annoyed than I was to be honest.

I hear on the jungle drums that 46521 will be returning to green, to go with the chocolate and cream rake the GCR are putting together.

This begs the question, since I have bought a black one, who is up for producing a conversion to the 78xxx evolution?!

I tried to buy one the other day but after I after the first was test run in the shop and ran like a bag of spanners, and the second one was worst I gave up, I will still buy one but I need to maybe look at a different source the retailer was more annoyed than I was to be honest.

Its  a pity  you  cant  get into  HATTONs warehouse in Widnes  and  have  a root  about  for  a  good  one,

Seriously  though it is  unusual to find poor running  Farish locos  these  days

• RMweb Premium

Its  a pity  you  cant  get into  HATTONs warehouse in Widnes  and  have  a root  about  for  a  good  one,

Seriously  though it is  unusual to find poor running  Farish locos  these  days

I will now only buy locos on a 'seen and had run' basis from one of my local retailers after several poor running/issues with locos bought online. This has involved both Dapol and Farish. It's not that the online retailer is poor, far from it, they have been beyond reproach, but it's all the hassle and effort involved and the time wasted. A 50-80 mile return trip is better than weeks and multiple postings just to get an acceptable purchase.

Perhaps I'm lucky but my retailers are happy to test any loco to make sure it's okay. They have been equally shocked (and annoyed and angry), as I have to discover just how poor/indifferent/varied the build and running qualities can be with some items.  

Izzy

My second Ivatt (Black Early Crest) was left with my neighbour by the postman yesterday and I collected it today.

Initial thoughts are that it is a bit noisier than my first (Now 46406 Late Crest) and not quite as silky smooth running.

After running in as per instructions it has improved somewhat, if still not quite as good as the first one. 

I think it simply needs a few more hours running to loosen it up fully.

I am very happy with both of mine.

Roy

I hear on the jungle drums that 46521 will be returning to green, to go with the chocolate and cream rake the GCR are putting together.

This begs the question, since I have bought a black one, who is up for producing a conversion to the 78xxx evolution?!

I would think that a 78xxx may be a sensible choice for Bachmann for the future, given that the only new tooling will be loco (and tender?) bodies.

The reasons I do not see it happening anytime soon though is that (1) Bachmann do not do one in 00 yet and (2) it is very similar to the Ivatt and may divide sales rather than generating new ones. 

So yes, on reflection maybe a conversion kit in the meantime is a good plan.

Roy

A tip  which I was  told many  years  ago (more  than I care to remember  I  bought my  first  N  Gauge in 1968!!)   Anyway the  tip is  if a loco  seems a  bit  tight  or  jerky  slacken off the  retaining  screws on the  keeper  plate  , I am not talking of  making  the  keeper  plate loose  just  try a Quarter to Half turn of the  screws  I have   done  this over the  years  and  in some  cases it  worked others it  didnt, but  perhaps  worth a try.

Remembering  of  course  that in the  case  of  tender  drives,  its the  tender  keepr plate to attend  to!!

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is now chipped and performing reliably, lovely smooth runner.  Its pony truck seems to dislike the right-left combination of medium Peco points on my fiddle yard exit- but I can live with that- it will run tender-first on the inspection saloon.

I'm renumbering it as a West Auckland one- it should have a thinner chimney but I can live the fatter one, at least for the present.

All the very best

Les

Archived