Farish Ivatt 2MT

TomE

As Kris says, is that cab square on? If it is then it looks as if it has a slight lean on.

Colin Allbright stressed it was a first EP.

They had fed back on a few changes and tightening up on assembly.

He said second EP would be due in four or five weeks.

A real stunner but not having BR black late crest available at launch is a bit odd?

Regards

Roy

Colin Allbright stressed it was a first EP.

They had fed back on a few changes and tightening up on assembly.

He said second EP would be due in four or five weeks.

A real stunner but not having BR black late crest available at launch is a bit odd?

Regards

Roy

It is looking magnificent. I have my early emblem black on pre-order from Hattons. Though I too would have preferred a late emblem. Just as I bought a 4MT early emblem with smaller tender though I would have preferred a late emblem . The large tender did not to my knowledge reach Scotland. Slightly amusing they are using the same number as the old Minitrix version - 46440! Dapol did the same with the first run of 2MT tanks - 41234

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is definitely loco drive. I believe the reason for the long delay was due to difficulty making a tender drive fit in the small space available, but the new motor used in the WD & STD 5 meant work could progress and the design changed to loco drive. Judging by the pre production shots, and the photo above, I'd say it has benefitted from the long gestation period! Now, 2-6-2 version pleeeease ;)

Tom.

Now, 2-6-2 version pleeeease ;)

Tom.

I have the back end of a Dapol 2-6-2 body in my parts bin... so I can donate you a bunker!

The 2-6-0 is looking brilliant. I'm tempted by a green one to run over Victoria Bridge in slightly older 'preserved mode', they look nice with a mixed rake of Choc&Cream carriages.

Maybe they'll think about doing the 2-6-2, the Dapol effort appeared to sell well, but a large proportion lacked slow-speed control...and the build quality and valve gear was a bit iffy IMO

Paul A.

I would think the 2-6-2T is unlikely as there are too many Dapol ones around to take sales off it- and with the CAD already done Dapol could beat them to market with an upgraded one (though whether they actually would bother is another matter).  The market is just too small to make money out of it IMHO.

Lets just have a better 4MT and a Stanier or Fairburn to go with it- there were many more of these.....

All the very best

Les

(looking forward to Hattons sending me the 2MT I have on order- juist right for the NGS inspection saloon)

I would think the 2-6-2T is unlikely as there are too many Dapol ones around to take sales off it- and with the CAD already done Dapol could beat them to market with an upgraded one (though whether they actually would bother is another matter).  The market is just too small to make money out of it IMHO.

Lets just have a better 4MT and a Stanier or Fairburn to go with it- there were many more of these.....

All the very best

Les

(looking forward to Hattons sending me the 2MT I have on order- juist right for the NGS inspection saloon)

Hi Les

I agree, it is highly unlikely that BachFarish will do an Ivatt 2-6-2T in N. As I understand it they were planning one but when the Dapol model was announced they changed their plans and went for the Standard 3MT Tank as an alternative instead.

It is a shame because while the Dapol Ivatt is a lovely looking model in my experience (three of them) the chassis is somewhat cheap and nasty and especially when compared the the Farish 3MT it is a pretty ropey performer. Dave Jones did say that in an ideal world he would like to redesign certain chassis up to the much better standards Dapol use now - I think this may well be the most realistic route to us getting one, but still in my view unlikely.

Regards

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have seen government IT projects delivered faster than this 2MT! :jester:

After 39 years working in the public sector, the 2MT may run close but I think govt wins the gestation period crown.  And at least there seems to be a realistic possibility it might deliver what we want.

I have seen government IT projects delivered faster than this 2MT! :jester:

I think Peco must be a contender for longest gestation time with their HAA - announced in the mid-60s, realeased in the mid-00s!

I wonder if their Lowmac will ever appear?

Pix

I think Peco must be a contender for longest gestation time with their HAA - announced in the mid-60s, realeased in the mid-00s!

I wonder if their Lowmac will ever appear?

Pix

Fuunnily enough I recall the Peco catalogue in the mid/late 70s showing an N gauge 2P and 4F.  I was into S & D at the the time and these items helped confrim a move from OO to N.  Funny how things move on.  I have had 4F kits from D&M, now BHE, and also Farish.  And converted a compound into a 2P and now have a Union Mills version.  And my interests have moved via North Wales to Scotland.

I don't remember Peco advertising a 4F- if I'd seen that I'd never have bought a Lima one!    My two compound conversions are a D49, built by whom I don't know but now in the throes of rebuilding again, and a 3P, bought on eBay as a rather lumpy 2P and converted by me to a better 3P.

I also had a Minitrix 2MT tender loco which pulled one coach on a good day.....

Looking forward to a decent 2MT- reports I've heard of the prototype on test suggest they've found why the WD was so variable.  In any case mine is for inspection saloon duties.

All the very best

Les

Yes I have had Minitrix Ivatts.  Would slip on Blackpool sands to quote what Higson said of real 2Ps in London Midland Fireman.  I canabalised from 2 to keep 1 going - mostly valve gear breaking up, and have been waiting for the Farish since c 2007 when it was first announced.  On order from Hattons at £58!  Mine will be used mainly on light freight - as they were on the Stranraer related branch lines in the 60s.  But inspection saloon, and even snow plough, sounds good. 

I agree the compound looks a bit lumpy as a 2P, but it passed muster for a long time.

I like the sound of your 3P.  Is that the one with square rear slpashers?  And as for a D49 - the valve gear must have been fun. Any photos?

Incidentally I have also used the chassis in the BHE Claud Hamilton.  The Belpair box version has been turned into a passable D11.  And the round top box into a reasonable D34 (could not trace the Hughes kit for that one).

Mine will be used mainly on light freight - as they were on the Stranraer related branch lines in the 60s.  But inspection saloon, and even snow plough, sounds good. 

I agree the compound looks a bit lumpy as a 2P, but it passed muster for a long time.

I like the sound of your 3P.  Is that the one with square rear slpashers?  And as for a D49 - the valve gear must have been fun. Any photos?

Incidentally I have also used the chassis in the BHE Claud Hamilton.  The Belpair box version has been turned into a passable D11.  And the round top box into a reasonable D34 (could not trace the Hughes kit for that one).

Starting on-topic 2MTs were popular for inspection saloon duties as they had comfortable cabs- it also gives an excuse for keeping it unweathered.....

My 3P has square splashers and is a regular performer on Trevor Webster's Parnhams layout- the tender pickups are still in place and the normal load for it is one celerestory MR bogie and two North Staffs six wheelers, all by Bill Bedford and assembled by Mr Simon.

The D49 is a Hunt rather than a shire and can be found here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54742-hawthorn-dene-washery/page-4  where post #78 shows it at about three months ago- it has had the tender repainted since then, but is waiting (STILL) nameplates before the loco gets finished.

The Hughes D34 kit is to 2mm, and doesn't go onto the 4P chassis very well. 

back onto topic- hopefully the Farish announcements coming up will give a firm date for the 2MT- and a new 4-4-0 (fingers FIRMLY crossed....)

All the very best

Les

• 4 months later...

Archived