The ?100 Project ? A complete layout build described in 9 days

Dave777

• RMweb Gold

This will be an interesting build and I shall look forward to viewing all the post to completion. My only concern (and I haven't had chance to look yet) is the availability of the older track pack.

Isn't the idea to come up with your own route to sub-£100 success rather than copy the OP? There are plenty of track bargains out there, I'm more worried about a pacific and 8 coaches within budget.......

• Like 5

Isn't the idea to come up with your own route to sub-£100 success rather than copy the OP? There are plenty of track bargains out there, I'm more worried about a pacific and 8 coaches within budget.......

Perhaps but it has to be do-able as well, if this was a fluke purchase at £22 and is not realistically available to (and I think this is aimed at newcomers) it could put them off. Perhaps I am missing the intent of the OP, perhaps this is not a how to post at all and merely just more of a personal challenge.

• Like 2

Perhaps but it has to be do-able as well, if this was a fluke purchase at £22 and is not realistically available to (and I think this is aimed at newcomers) it could put them off. Perhaps I am missing the intent of the OP, perhaps this is not a how to post at all and merely just more of a personal challenge.

With several purchases - as we shall see - I have checked that the price I obtained was 'fair'. For example, if I've used eBay, I searched completed listings to see if I had got a 'fluke purchase' or if the price I had paid was typical. I have written all parts out already, so you'll see in later posts me doing this, and it won't be a response to this comment - I had considered it important that the build is achievable by someone else. For my track pack, I walked into a model shop and there it was.

There's only one item where I've used a 'theoretical' price since I used an item I already had. I just searched on eBay for completed listings and took a 'typical' selling price to add.

The very last post contains a complete list of all items used, the price paid, and where I purchased it from.

Here are some completed listings on eBay for the same track pack E, all selling for less than I paid (including postage), and they weren't auctions ending at 4am or anything:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4168d23a6c

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19d32d536b

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item25719d8faa

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20c65ba60e

And one ending in 3 hours...

http://www.ebay.co.u...&prg=1005&rk=2

Edited by Dave777
  • Like 8

We need to get through a couple of boring stages I'm afraid, so brace yourselves :)

2 - A (very) Basic Baseboard

Many people today are turning to materials such as foamboard to create lightweight baseboards for portable layouts. From the very start I’ve needed to keep costs down so I’ve forgone the traditional wooden affair and used cardboard as it was, to all intents and purposes, free. There have been some articles in the printed modelling press demonstrating cardboard being used successfully - see Raymond Young's 'Take a cardboard box...' layout in the January 2008 edition of Railway Modeller, and also Ken Gibbons' Port Pennan layout featured in June 2010.

I kept an eye out at my place of work for undamaged, thick cardboard that hadn't had any water damage and within a week I had several boxes that I could cut up, some of which I actually remembered to take a photo of before cutting them up (apologies for the poor photos throughtout this posting).

post-7489-0-13431900-1345977806.jpg

The use of cardboard explains why I went for a 'manual' fiddleyard and not a traverser or sector plate. I’m sure it’s possible to build one from cardboard (I remember seeing Chris Nevard’s Arne Wharf at Railex the other year and I think that used a cardboard traverser), but for simplicity I decided not to bother. Trying to get the whole thing to line up and work reliably just seemed to be adding an extra layer of challenge for the sake of it.

So here’s the completed baseboard. The main ‘board’ is a box folded flat (which by pure chance came out at 6 feet exactly), so it’s effectively double thickness cardboard.

post-7489-0-51586000-1345977808_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-98229800-1345977810_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-46807700-1345977813_thumb.jpg

No it won’t take being bashed about too much, and it would need protecting from damp if kept in a garage or shed (storing it inside a couple of dustbin bags would help that however), but it’s strong, lightweight and best of all it cost a total of just £1.50 for the PVA glue to hold it together.

Having constructed the baseboard, I mixed up some diluted PVA (about 2:1 PVA:water) and pasted a folded piece of newspaper into each corner. I then pasted some A4 card sheets all along the background so as to even out any inconsistencies in the cardboard and to remove the 90’ corners. Essentially, a very basic curved backscene. The photo shows the card not even touching the folded newspaper, but this is right at the top and further down it's directly supporting it.

post-7489-0-90800300-1345977815_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-48914300-1345977818_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-31774000-1345977821_thumb.jpg

post-7489-0-58213400-1345977823_thumb.jpg

The backscene was then painted a suitable sky background colour using an emulsion tester pot.

Spends:

Cardboard for baseboard – free

PVA glue - £1.50

Craft knife - £0.64

Newspaper – free

Pack of A4 card sheets - £1.20

Emulsion paint tester pot for backscene - £1

Large paintbrush – 50p

Not a very exciting post, I admit. Next up, trackwork and wiring.

Edited by Dave777
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Just a thought, (if you did it again),about storage in a damp garage and ballast etc, how about sealing the card to protect it from moisture with several thin layers of outdoor paint from small tins?

Edited by PaulRhB

Dave,

Foamboard is dumped by signwriters. The material for my extension was donated by a local company who were so glad to see me remove their industrial waste (they pay for it to be collected) that they gave me some adhesive.

It is excellent stuff, weatherproof - it is used for house sale signs - and light.

Tim

• Like 1

Are you sure those boxes were free, are you sure you didn't purchase them for a sum of money and they came with free HP products.

This could blow your budget.

How rigid is the cardboard for transporting, or is it assumed that once placed it will remain in situ - I can see strength in the scenic end from the backscene vertical but the fiddleyard area doesn't have much and a bit of track on top might begin to create a sag if not fully supported.

Edited by woodenhead

This thread really is inspiring, in fact I would say it is dangerously inspiring. I am sure that there are a lot of people out there who might see a project as being viable after seeing this thread whether they are new to the hobby or veterens.

Are you allowing yourself any leeway with the £100 budget or is it that figure or nothing? I only ask because if it went a couple of £s over then I am sure that you would have achieved your overall goal of making an affordable model railway.

Good luck with this project and I look forward to seeing more.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

This thread is fantastic!

My (soon to be) 5 year old has started making castles out of cornflake boxes (cue the sticky backed plastic jokes) with the help of mum.

All of which I am pouring lots of praise and encouragement on. ;) - You never know where this might lead... ;) ;)

Kev.

(Watching with enthusiasm, especially as this project should come to a conclusion very soon.)

Thanks for all the comments folks. I confess I was a little irritated yesterday that, even with the first post, already some folks were calling into question some of the 'validity' of how I was going about this. Calmer today... :)

Dave, this thread is brilliant. I cant wait for the next installment. I think you should submit it to the magazines, as it deserves a much wider audience.

The photos aren't really good enough to be honest. And as I went through the project I kept seeing bits that I could do better if I had had more time. If I were to do it for a magazine, I'd do it all again but do things a little differently, as I discuss in the very last post...

And hey - let's see the final result first before we declare it as 'magazine quality'!

Just a thought, (if you did it again),about storage in a damp garage and ballast etc, how about sealing the card to protect it from moisture with several thin layers of outdoor paint from small tins?

Yes, that's a good point. Or seal it with PVA I guess (would that work?). Do please chip in with alternative suggestions as we go through, it all adds to the richness of the thread.

Dave,

Foamboard is dumped by signwriters. The material for my extension was donated by a local company who were so glad to see me remove their industrial waste (they pay for it to be collected) that they gave me some adhesive.

It is excellent stuff, weatherproof - it is used for house sale signs - and light.

Tim

Another good suggestion Tim, thanks.

Hi Dave,

Is it possible to give a running total summary spend at the base of each update?...to save keep scrolling back and fetching my abacus :D

I had originally included this, but I took it out as towards the end you could see if I was going to hit or miss the target, which kinda took away the suspense ( :) ) of the final stages and the final 'big reveal' of the cost. I might give a half-time score though around Post 5.

How rigid is the cardboard for transporting, or is it assumed that once placed it will remain in situ - I can see strength in the scenic end from the backscene vertical but the fiddleyard area doesn't have much and a bit of track on top might begin to create a sag if not fully supported.

I do stick an extra bit onto the fiddleyard later on as with the constant moving around the house it had started to sag a bit :D

Are you allowing yourself any leeway with the £100 budget or is it that figure or nothing? I only ask because if it went a couple of £s over then I am sure that you would have achieved your overall goal of making an affordable model railway.

I certainly aimed to not go over £100, but I assume someone else doing the same wouldn't need to apply the limit so rigidly.

• Like 6

Great idea Dave! Might i suggest cornflake packets and paper for any raised scenery as if you use the stiffer card to make a lattice and then tear up the paper to make the surface you get a very cheap (and very light) surface for any scenery. Shoreham MRC's "Chelfham" scenery was done this way, including the valley with the viaduct.

My missus suggested this when I mentioned building a small portable layout (or even large modules) :

A pasting table. B&Q do them for about £15 but that would make a big dent in your budget for other things. But then I suppose anyone else on a budget wouldn't necessarily be using £100.

http://www.diy.com/n...noCookies=false

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver

• RMweb Premium

In my experience, it's easier finding unwanted cardboard than foamboard, also card's surprisingly strong - think of the packaging that came with your TV or washing machine.

It'll be interesting how you'll be dealing with the scenics, buildings and accessories, as they are features of a layout, after locos and stock, potentially another cause of overspending.

Keep up the good work, however.