The ?100 Project ? A complete layout build described in 9 days

Dave777

Has a whole year passed since I built this?!

It's not my intention to keep adding to this thread, but at the time there were several valid questions around the longevity of a baseboard made out of cardboard (and not exactly top quality cardboard at that).  For the past 12 months the layout has been kept in the roof of my garage:

post-7489-0-00141900-1381175663.jpg

As you can see, it's been kept out of the rain, but the gap across the top of the garage doors shows that the wind, humidity and temperature can all get at it.

Actual damage to the layout consists of some of the backscene needing a bit of re-gluing, and the road developing a bit of ridge half way down.

post-7489-0-17912500-1381175704.jpg

post-7489-0-12941100-1381175721.jpg

Structural integrity of the layout?  Well, here we go:

post-7489-0-70562000-1381175684.jpg

Bit of a sag in the middle, but I suspect it would have done that even when it had just been built!  No doubt the track is helping to keep the thing ridged, but overall it's lasted well. 

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Good result Dave. A lot of wood/ply boards would have shown some deteriation in a garage. I find that diagonal braces are the best way to keep boards flat. Not exactly easy with cardboard!

Don

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've revisited this thread a fair few times, as I find it really inspiriing of just what can be done.

For realistically, I already have everything for this model already picked up from many years of visiting swpameets and exhitions. And I'm sure that if I raided the cupboards at home I could tur up enough straws, scourers, etc, to make up the rest. - Just need to get on build it! 

Ma I ask if you happen to have any other stock etc, that you could post some additional pics pf the layout, keeping with the £100 theme, you could say they were additional purchases/presents, after all it is a year since this was started, plenty of time for an Xmas or birthday or two to have passed by, 

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the memory jog Hippo, was a great layout idea and projrct!

Mind you it would be the £103 project now taking inflation into account, or even the £120 project if you are a well known RTR manufacturer ;-)

With prices what they are now, some of the ideas and inspiration this layout offered are fantastic!

Perhaps the next idea could be the "scrimpers layout" ;-)

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't think you should worry about that. If you do exhibit - and I think you should, it would be of great interest - just sit out front, let the punter's have a play, and you'll be busy answering questions about how you did it!

As for the card baseboards, I suspect the trick would be making the sides deeper and box section, adding a back-board the whole length, and making triple-ply boards with the corrugations in different orientations, like the grain in ply. However if you were taking this layout to exhibitions I don't think it would be cheating to mount it on a wood frame, after all the point was to make a layout for a beginner - and probably to sit on a shelf, not hike around exhibitions!

Fantastic thread I've just found for first time as it was a posted link in a new thread today.

Regarding card baseboards the tip I got elsewhere, and which worked for me in the past, is starting with sturdy fruit boxes which are ready assembled and free from supermarkets if you ask nicely and glean them over a few visits so you get (a) the same sizes and (b) one's without bowing in the centre. Still free but come with some stiffening already in and options for adding cross bracing inside to make a stiffer, but light weight monocoque/box girder structure.

As a price guide have just relaid my daughter's old train set for my grandsons in new Set-track plus a Gaugemaster Combi and it worked out about £150 including tester pots and a few other bits and pieces. The board already existed, and rolling stock was mostly my daughter's existing plus some extras I've given them. Tools all mine, nothing new. Despite it being just a roundy roundy train set the job has sparked my own enthusiasm again. Could have done it in a mix of new and existing Hornby bits and pieces which I already had but their shed is a bit damp so wanted the track to be relaid in N Silver to avoid rust and not put the boys off the hobby through poor track.

Edited by john new
  • Like 4

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...