The ?100 Project ? A complete layout build described in 9 days

Dave777

I found an old bedframe in my loft...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58760-industrial-freelance-design-idea/page__st__25#entry774547

Manually operated points are a blast to use with some remote mechanism, like wire-in-tube or similar.

You can get free boxes and crates from most supermarkets while they're restocking, as I found out when we moved house. Our local corner shop has always got a few wooden crates outside his shop which he gives away. As Katier mentioned, Freecycle and similar sites are a great way to get freebies, not just restricted to wood but paint, tools, just about anything.

• Like 1

to create an illusion to make it seem like there's 2 rats, why not print out some numbers that are different on the opposite side then just tun the loco, just a thought!,

some brilliant work here btw!

Better still, one side dirty, and the other clean, or even different liveries each side?

• Like 3

I understand with a new baby time is probably tight but have you a next project?

what next?

Next project is to finish off Elwood East really (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/7509-elwood-east-late-70s-n-gauge-parcels-engineering-traffic-very-average/). It's nearly there, probably only needs a few more hours work on the actual layout, and some weathering of stock.

One question - what is the exact size of the layout? I dont think it was mentioned earlier....

It’s 6 feet long, but now you mention it I don’t think I know what width it is, so I’ll have a measure tonight. I seem to recall it’s 18 inches but the scenic section is only 12 inches wide due to the way the backscene had to be glued, but I’ll check.

to create an illusion to make it seem like there's 2 rats, why not print out some numbers that are different on the opposite side then just tun the loco, just a thought!,

Excellent idea. No idea how I’d match up the blue using my paper decals method though?! That really was one cost saving that was very borderline for credibility...

I've only just come to this but what a superb thread, full of brilliant ideas, especially the use of cheap textures (soil from soil - who'd have thought of that!) and the web site for the factories and lots of other textures.

One suggestion - if you want to make a small layout, do it in such a way that if it works well you can then develop it into a larger layout when you have space and time (i.e. retire!) I did this with Clecklewyke, which started as a four foot long diorama and is now being expanded to form part of a layout which will eventually fill a 22' X 10'6" dedicated railway room.

I do hope to see your layout on the circuit - I like the idea of you letting visitors play with it while you talk.

Ian

• Like 2

I found an old bedframe in my loft...

http://www.rmweb.co...._25#entry774547

You can get free boxes and crates from most supermarkets while they're restocking, as I found out when we moved house. Our local corner shop has always got a few wooden crates outside his shop which he gives away. As Katier mentioned, Freecycle and similar sites are a great way to get freebies, not just restricted to wood but paint, tools, just about anything.

I have found that supermarkets now squash boxes as soon as they are emptied. There is also a vested interest in selling new boxes (Staples etc, self-store establishments and removals firms will be happy to oblige). I persist in putting good quality boxes in to the attic, much to my sons' amusement.

Ed

• Like 1

One suggestion - if you want to make a small layout, do it in such a way that if it works well you can then develop it into a larger layout when you have space and time (i.e. retire!) I did this with Clecklewyke, which started as a four foot long diorama and is now being expanded to form part of a layout which will eventually fill a 22' X 10'6" dedicated railway room.

Heh, wish I'd started like this...

I just went for it - "how big can I get into the space I've got?" - and I'm now concerned that I've bitten off more than I can chew...

Ah well, live and learn I guess...

• Like 1

Just got caught up with this Dave; a brilliant project and a great read.

Thanks for undertaking it all, in a hobby sometimes seemingly obsessed with new releases (and the spending that involves) this is a welcome breath of fresh air.

Just the thing to try and help me fix my new stock/loco addiction!

• Like 1

I'd like to add my voice to the praise of this thread; it's been a great read and really shows what can be done with a bit of imagination and a keen eye for detail. A triumph! Thanks for taking the gamble and writing about it so comprehensively.

Arp

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

Just brilliant !

I too used a complete cardboard layout for one of my corner modules at the recent Taunton Members Day - I used two plys of corrugated card, glued at right angles, for the base, to increase the rigidity, plus the trackbed was about 3 inches higher on a line of cardboard tubes (all free cardboard from work). It seemed to work quite well, was extremely lightweight and was quite tough to destroy.

I too would like to see how you've weathered the wagons and the wagon load of scrap.

Stu

• Like 3

I'd like to add my voice to the praise of this thread; it's been a great read and really shows what can be done with a bit of imagination and a keen eye for detail. A triumph! Thanks for taking the gamble and writing about it so comprehensively.

Arp

To be pedantic it wasn't a gamble, 'cos he didn't post it until he knew he'd done it!!! :jester:

Ed

Edited by edcayton

• RMweb Gold

The real aim of this exercise was to simply show that you don't have to spend a fortune to create a layout.

. . . .

Is this hobby getting too expensive? Well it certainly doesn’t have to be…

A superb introduction to trying things out and offering a true model railway rather than a trainset as an introduction.

Nice job Dave and I suspect it's going to inspire a load of other mini budget schemes. :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This thread has been superb, not just for the workmanship, but because it was “educational entertainment”.

A model railway “instant gratification” in this “instant gratification” world!

Most threads are a “work in progress” over many years, and in some cases, a “final work” - as freely admitted by the authors.

All lovely work and I salute you all.

This thread has been a, (very), welcome change addition to the forum.

Now a slight caveat. (Constructively!)

Dave finished the project before posting the challenge – as admitted freely, at least twice, during the 9 daily updates. This does not take away anything from what Dave set to gain or achieve.

Little “playful” quibbles about price and availability, of materiel, only added to the thread and resulted in many descent suggestions.

(My own suggestion would be for wire (in a tube) control of the points but using the same corrugated cardboard, (1” strips), pasted underneath with the “corrugations” running the way the wire goes but with the wire running in between the corrugations.)

However, this is not a “what you can achieve with £100” this is a “what you can achieve with £100 with some descent modelling experience”. Not, I repeat not, a criticism just my personal observation.

Each of us following this thread, (58 last time I looked), has seen something that has inspired us. For me it was the the skill with which the paint brush was wielded. For others it was the choice of materiel, some the construction, others the discipline, or even for having the guts to start this.

(I would gladly supply the wagons and materials for a “100 photo how to weather wagons - challenge” series WITH the personal challenge that I must then follow complete, and submit, my “apprentice pieces”.)

I think this has been the real beauty of this thread.

We all been inspired to have a go, to tackle, to start(!) something we know we are useless at AND LEARN.

Dave, I personally thank you. I don't know if you set out to achieve this, but for me, you have.

Thank you!

Kev.

(Somebody who is probably banned from holding a paint brush. Me jealous – you betcha!)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Magnificent Dave not just the idea and the modelling but also the presentation which made it more gripping than most tele and without contrived cliffhangers.

I presume most of the buildings and structures are freelance. This allows things to fit the space available and reduces the time taken. Rather liberating I think and it means you have used your imagination. I wonder sometimes if modelling a real location doesn't restrict you too much,

Much comment has been made about your obvious skills with the brush ( or spray) and whilst I accept that newcomers would take some time to aquire such skills (I have a fair way to go myself) how much better to learn using some straws, bits of card and cheap second hand models rather than expensive new issues.

I tend to agree with the view that a strong base would be advisable. Thin ply and bits of wood can often be scrounged or are leftovers from a bit of DIY. But once the main base is done cardboard makes great formers for scenery or elevating the track a little. Polystyrene packing usually ends up in the bin but can be very useful. Looking also at Dukedog's modular approach (see steam on the Cambrian) you could build an interesting layout from a number of small scenes each one at minimal cost and sharing the same stock.

Thanks for the entertaining journey.

Don

• Like 4

Hi Dave,

Firstly - I loved the layout, from concept through to delivery. Wish I could do something on such a strict budget, and to such a high finish!

Being the sad person I am, with 5 minutes to spare I put your total breakdown into a pie chart to see the breakdown of individual items:

post-11408-0-43012100-1346793250_thumb.png

Interesting to see, although TBH I suppose it's expected that the track and locomotive were the biggest spends. I shudder to think how this would look if I did the same for my layout - I would have a significantly lower proportion for track, but then much higher for electronics (Maplins have done well out of me!) and also rolling stock. I suppose this also highlights the fact that less-specific era modelling has a great benefit over modelling a specific era, where a single new wagon can be up to the £30 mark...

Also, sorry to nit-pick but in your list in post 9, it comes to £96.88, not £98.88... but obv I get the point (and I hate myself for even bringing it up!)

All the best,

Andy

• Like 7

Also, sorry to nit-pick but in your list in post 9, it comes to £96.88, not £98.88... but obv I get the point (and I hate myself for even bringing it up!)

That had me scurrying back to my own Excel chart - I'm still getting £99.88 here. I've doubled checked what I posted with what I had on the chart, thinking I might have typed it out wrong, but it's still making the same. We need a third checker :)

• Like 1